RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2018, 11:37 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to BighornBus Send a message via MSN to BighornBus Send a message via Yahoo to BighornBus
Steering Stabilizer

Would like install a steering stabilizer on our 2016 Tiffin Red 33AA, any suggestions, also what tire pressure is good to drive at, I have been at 110 lbs.

Thanks Dave

BighornBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2018, 12:16 PM   #2

ck out safe-t-plus and give 95 or 100 a try. 95 cold in summer gets up to 100 when your driving. 110 has usually given me to rough a ride. Dave

allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:24 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 on the Safe-T-Plus. Installed on our Phaeton and helped quite a bit. Didn't completely cure the semi truck sway but sure made it a lot less noticeable.
A big plus also in case of a steer tire failure!

burfurd
Old 06-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #4

We have a 2014 33AA. Safe-T-Plus will help some. 4 corner weight, fully loaded indicated we needed 85psi all 4 corners with a 5psi margin gives us 90psi. Robert
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #5

We have custom ordered a 2019 Allegro 36la expected in Sept. Does a steering stabilizer really help on this size motorhome? We are debating whether we should get one installed at the dealer. Since we haven't driven it yet we have no idea whether we really need it. We did order it with the Summosprings.
whciv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:29 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BighornBus View Post
Would like install a steering stabilizer on our 2016 Tiffin Red 33AA, any suggestions, also what tire pressure is good to drive at, I have been at 110 lbs.

Thanks Dave
Best to weigh the coach and then go with your tire chart.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:43 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Front steering stabilizers work best in emergency situations caused by a blowout of one of the steer tires. They are only marginally effective helping you with handling. You best bet for "sway" (or as I prefer, push from cross winds and passing trucks) is a rear track bar.

Get your coach weighed (CAT scales are at most truck stops) and use the Michelin Tire Tables for the proper inflation pressures. You might want to add 5% to the axle weight to account for side to side differences and 5 psi/tire as a safety margin. You will probably end up in the 85-95 psi range and a much better driving motorhome.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:46 PM   #8

whciv - summo's are good, but track bars and better swaybars really make a difference. Dave
allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:38 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I know this question has come up several times before but possibly not in this specific forum. I have the Safe-T-Plus on my 2010 RED 38QBA and Man ‘O Man, what a difference! I also had it installed AFTER I had my entire drivetrain checked over. I agree that “zooming pedal to the metal semi’s” will still give me some rock and roll, however, the driving experience was VASTLY improved. Like from manual to power steering. The fact that it is also a huge safety factor for a blowout is just a big plus in book. I don’t believe I will ever have a future motorhome without installing one.
HD Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:34 PM   #10

I installed a safe t plus on my 14 33aa red. It has made a big difference in the way it drives. I would not be without it. I installed myself and fairly easy to do. It took all the play out of the wheel as it is really a centering steering control. I ran 98 pounds in each tire for a while then took the time to go to cat scales. The Michelin tire chart was 70 in the front and 80 in the rear. I went with 80 rear and 90 front and it softened things up. Weight should be checked prior to a trip so you can get the real deal weight wise and adjust accordingly.
mr builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:36 PM   #11

Sorry about that 80 in the front and 90 in the rear. OOPS
mr builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:53 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
This past January I had the Safe-T Plus installed on my trip to Red Bay Al. It made a great handling so much better. Eighteen wheelers still push me around but a lot less, but I’m driving a 33 foot coach. This was done in Austell GA, at their manufacturing center. The people there were great and cost half what my dealer wanted.
tjvogtiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:14 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
in my 17 33aa i really don't notice trucks that much unless there are heavy winds, i do not have a stabilizer, on one trip home from idaho there were very heavy winds and had to slow coach down to 55 to stay in the lane, i noticed i was around 3/8ths to 1/2 a tank, filled it up and made a huge difference, i wish they would have put the water tank under the fuel tank in the front like the alpine i had, which is probably why they handled so good
sumptercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:21 PM   #14

I had a safe-t-plus stabilizer and Super Steer motion control units installed in our 2018 33AA. Dropped the pressure to 92 lbs front and 95 back after having the coach weighed. Big difference in handling and steering. The 33AA has a fairly short wheelbase so these steering and handling improvements made the drive much more comfortable for me.

bmwrider1946 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering