Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2015, 10:34 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Step Issue

My steps won't quit extending / retracting when we open / close the door.

I've looked at past posts and the only previous issues were steps that quit working...mine won't stop.

Yes, the switch on the panel next to the door is "Off" but the step keep deploying. I've read the manual and it still won't quit.

Do I disconnect power to the motor or pull the fuse until I can get to a service department? If so, any ideas which breaker to pull?
BeerLover80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2015, 04:19 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
You are more likely to get a useful response if you post the year and model of Tiffin you have.
Calliedo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:49 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pull the plug that goes to the step motor and then disconnect the linkage. Push the steps in manually and put a strap to hold until you can get it repaired.
Seems like I replace a step motor every year. It is either the motor or the controller.
Easy to replace !
jjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:04 PM   #4

The entry steps are one of the biggest problem points of motorhomes.

You may have a magnetic proximity switch at the bottom of the door. Access to the wires for this switch may be gained either inside or in the front of the wheel well. Disconnect one of the wires to the switch and the steps will stop opening and closing. Just be sure to reconnect so that the steps retract before you drive off.

You will still have to get this repaired.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:30 PM   #5

Mine did the same thing and found a blown 12volt fuse. When you have the step set to stay out 12 volts is supplied to the steps continuous .
Fuse was in front compartment outside below drivers position.
I believe was a 10 amp mini fuse
Old 11-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
So I just decided to just pull the power cord on the motor of the steps. We finally have steps that stay extended even with the door closed!

From what I can read from the Owners Manual, it looks like a wiring issue between the Door Control Switch near the entry and the motor...like a bad connection. The doors work properly, like they should, except the Door Control Switch doesn't work.
BeerLover80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:05 PM   #7

My Red does that if the step light is on, so i leave it off.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote