Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2016, 06:49 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Steps may or may not open

When you open the door the steps are suppose to drop, well mine doesn't always drop. It might so okay for a day or 10 minutes. Then you keep opening and closing the door until it works.

Any ideas. I have oiled the joints, the motor is new, etc.
shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 08:13 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Likely the beginning of a failed controller. Mine did the same thing. The motor worked fine. It started out by failing ever now and then, like yours. Then they got to where they would automatically retract (without warning) which could be dangerous. Stepping outside at night can be a shocking and painful surprise. Finally, the steps decided to stay in all the time and nothing I could do would extend them. Of course I could power the motor without the controller but that would be a total PITA so I bought new parts. They were all the same age so I replaced the motor, pivot arm and controller.

One other thing before you buy new stuff though. Check and clean the two ground wires. Sometime they will corrode up and not make good contact. Also, I assume you've checked the magnet at the door to make sure it's placed correctly.
tinstar 1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:55 PM   #3

I had the same problem and found it was a switch behind the door. A little WD-40, problem solved.

John and Debbie
2014 37AP
jhbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:07 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Shot,

Add a signature line in one of the setup screens so we know the model and year of the motorhome you drive. Tiffin replaced the magnetic door switch in 2012 and went with a standard push button style. This does and will stick and drive you nuts. Spray silicon will work a little better then WD40 but it needs to be lubricated/cleaned once in a while. Next time the steps don't come out, open the door and push the switch with your finger. I'll bet you find it sticking.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:32 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Shot,

Add a signature line in one of the setup screens so we know the model and year of the motorhome you drive. Tiffin replaced the magnetic door switch in 2012 and went with a standard push button style. This does and will stick and drive you nuts. Spray silicon will work a little better then WD40 but it needs to be lubricated/cleaned once in a while. Next time the steps don't come out, open the door and push the switch with your finger. I'll bet you find it sticking.
If you have the "Silver Plunger" type switch, the contacts remain open when the door is closed. And there is no "wiping action", so the contacts can easily get oxidized and stop making a good connection.

One way to confirm it is the switch is the next time the steps do not extend, push the switch in the door frame in, and let it snap out (do this a few times).

If the problem is only on extending the step and they ALWAYS retract, then it is very likely the switch.

I have had to take mine apart and clean/lubricate the contacts.

Dan
Old 08-10-2016, 10:27 AM   #6

Had the same problem and was told by Tiffin it could be a slight bend in the step frame. Shortly after got a recall from the step mfgr and in lieu of their recall fix I could get a $200 credit on their latest new updated step. Went ahead with the new step and no more problem!
ghaisting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:31 AM   #7

Check house battries

I found that my house batteries, were not holding much of a charge and I had to keep filling with water. Steps would hardly open or close. I replaced batteries and everything works OK. I even had trouble with 12v on/0ff switch not working. with the new batt. it also works fine.

2009 32' open road
2006 PT Cruiser
kayla44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:53 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shot View Post
When you open the door the steps are suppose to drop, well mine doesn't always drop. It might so okay for a day or 10 minutes. Then you keep opening and closing the door until it works.

Any ideas. I have oiled the joints, the motor is new, etc.
Ok Shot, any feedback on your progress?

Dan

Tags
steps