Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2014, 09:08 PM   #1

Storage Question

I have a Tiffin 2014 36LA. My storage lot has power equipped sites. I currently can connect my Tiffin to a 50amp. My question is....if I set my heat to 55 degrees both front and rear heaters will I still need to winterize my water lines? I do plan on using my motorhome during the winter months and don't want to keep winterize/de-winterize each trip. Any suggestions or has anyone done this before? My motorhome is in DE and my trips would be to Northern VA and back. Thanks All.
rvbill2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2014, 04:32 AM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
I would not take a chance that, power could go out or that temperatures drop below what heaters can handle and keep pipes above 32F. Some RV's have piping that is exposed or in compartments that are not heated (mine included).
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:42 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You will need to use your propane furnace in order to get heat to the wet bay. The only rear heat on a 36LA is the heat pump if you got that option. The furnace is controlled from the front thermostat only. If you decide to go that route, keep an eye on your propane levels - that furnace can use quite a bit.
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:49 AM   #4

3 or 4 gal. of rv antifreeze are a lot cheaper than $100 a hour to fix leaks that might be hard to get to. Build yourself a kit with a pump and just pump the rv antifreeze thru the city water connection after you do all the many things that are required before pumping the antifreeze. If you decide not to winterize at least disconnect water filter and drain hotwater heater and onboard water tank. Dave
Old 10-31-2014, 02:21 PM   #5

I have done exactly what you are thinking when we had a RED. I did use a 100 lbs auxiliary propane tank. In NC, it took about two of those to get through a winter. My storage barn is at my house so I could and did check power every day. I also installed a ceramic heater in the wet bay so that I could heat that area with electric. Still not as safe as winterizing but it does make occasional winter use a lot more convenient.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbill2014 View Post
I have a Tiffin 2014 36LA. My storage lot has power equipped sites. I currently can connect my Tiffin to a 50amp. My question is....if I set my heat to 55 degrees both front and rear heaters will I still need to winterize my water lines? I do plan on using my motorhome during the winter months and don't want to keep winterize/de-winterize each trip. Any suggestions or has anyone done this before? My motorhome is in DE and my trips would be to Northern VA and back. Thanks All.
I also used to use my MH a lot in the winter before I started living in it semi full time. Instead of RV antifreeze I bought one of the adapters that allows you to hook an air compressor up to the fresh water hose. I set the regulator on the air compressor to 50 psi. I then go to heater bypass. and open each individual faucet and shower faucet. I do this actually several times opening and closing each one until I do not get water coming out. I then drain my hot water tank and once the water is out of it I open the heater bypass valve and allow air pressure to blow out the hot water tank. I take a gallon of RV antifreeze and pour a little into each sink and shower drain. I use about 2 gallons of anti freeze a winter. I also drain the fresh water tank. It takes me about 30 minutes to do all of this. When I get ready to go camping again I just have to put the drain plug back in the water heater. Close the drain on the fresh water tank. Hook up to fresh water, open the faucets until I have water coming back out instead of air. I fill my fresh water tank about half full and I am ready to go.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage