Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2018, 09:51 AM   #1

Talking Storage questions

I have purchased an Allegro Open Road 32sa....delivery mid May... I have contracted a local concrete company to install a 14' wide x 40' long slab.
A couple of questions.....
(1) When I park my 34 Fter on this slab (in between trips) should I lift the unit up with the jacks and put pads under the tires and store it that way to save the tires?

(2) Should I install an electrical hook up with a manual shut off to mimic the hook up at a park? (50 amp) or do I really need to put anything in there?

(3) Also could someone shut the snow off up here I am really getting sick of this stuff....I still have a tree or two to remove and stump before the slab can be put in!!!!

We are getting excited about the new vehicle!!!!! I am sure there will be more questions as we go!!
That's all for now.
Have a good one.
Jeffrey J.

Jeff Henning is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
IMHO. I would do this:

Store with weight lifted of the tires if sitting for over a week at a time.
Short time use "mud flaps" under the tires.

Install a 30A or 50A service. 30A is more than enough for storage. But you might want to use coach. 30 is some what cheaper to install, but not a bank breaker.

Sorry can't do a thing about the snow.

Travel Safe!

rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:39 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You might as well go ahead and install 50 amp service, water and sewer. Motorhomes work very well as guest houses, lifeboats when the power goes out, a place to escape the DW, etc.

You do not want or need to store it with the jacks down. A motorhome is meant to sit on its tires. If you want, get yourself 6 placemats and put those under your tires but since you have concrete, nothing is going to happen anyway, asphalt yes, but concrete and gravel no.

I don't know if you have thought about the concrete, but get the high strength mix which has chopped fiberglass in it. No need for reinforcing mesh or rebar.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #4

If you are just going to store it then you only need to plug into your household power to keep the batteries charged. If you think you may use it as a guest house then you may want to have at least a 30 Amp hookup. If you think you will need multiple A/C then get 50 Amp, but you will probably be traveling in the summer and only storing in the winter. If you are going to use it as a guest house then you may also consider a sewer hook up. You can supply water for your outside hose bib on the house.

As far as the tires, it will be ok to store it on the concrete. It won’t hurt to have something under the tires like plastic or wood pads. I would not raise it while it is being stored. If it is going to be used for a couple of days or weeks you can then put the jacks down to keep it from bouncing and then raise them after the guests leave.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:55 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
If you are going through the trouble of building a storage area I would add the 50amp, water and sewer if you can. This way you don't have to worry about having to do it later if necessary

Oh and welcome to the forum
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:19 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I have use my 31SA three time as a Life Boat/Ark when the electric was out. The power 30 amp would do just fine but 50 would only be need in the summ for both AC units running. You do have the onboard generator so 30 to tide you over. That is the reason I fill my gas tank on the way home and keep the propane topped off.
tjvogtiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
If you have the room...
Go with a 16' wide x 55' (or even a 60') length..
That way you insure that there is room with the slide out when extended and pad will be long enough to accommodate a (future) longer coach & your toad.
For the power question the cost is within spitting distance between 30a & 50a.
Go with the 50a/30a/20a pedestal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1489 (2).jpg
Views:	22
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	199569   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1490 (1).jpg
Views:	27
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	199570  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180329_151847.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	382.0 KB
ID:	199571   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180329_151900.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	371.0 KB
ID:	199572  

saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:59 AM   #8

i have a 25' C and wanted covered storage so we added onto a barn that was 40' deep. plenty of room....
then. got the bug for an A
inside measurements are barely over 38' and it would be nice to "walk around it"
so, when i got to considering the new A we were limited to a 35' length.
and like you, we have a 32sa ordered.... 34' long! not counting ladder.

bottom line of this post is...
go ahead and have longer slab poured while you are at it!
maybe, we'll meet at red bay, if you are going!
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:21 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
It is a easy process to install a 50 amp outlet box. I did mine for around $125. MAKE SURE YOU MOUNT THE OUTLET BOX AWAY FROM ANY OUTSIDE WATER SOURCE OR SUMP PUMP DRAINS I.A.W. WITH YOUR STATE BUILDING CODE.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:56 PM   #10

Thanks gentlemen

I am in the planning stages for the electrical. The end of the slab is a fair distance from the house. I have friend who is an electrician so we are starting on the plans for that this week...... we got another 4” of snow yesterday’s on top of what was there......good news is.... temps will be close to mid 60s late next week....appreciate all your inputs..."see ya on the road,travel safe”
Best regards,
Jeffrey J.
Jeff Henning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:50 PM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Henning View Post
I am in the planning stages for the electrical. The end of the slab is a fair distance from the house. I have friend who is an electrician so we are starting on the plans for that this week...... we got another 4” of snow yesterday’s on top of what was there......good news is.... temps will be close to mid 60s late next week....appreciate all your inputs..."see ya on the road,travel safe”
Best regards,
Jeffrey J.
Be SURE that you stress that the 50 amp is to be an RV 50a !
Next
if you have a distance to run your power.. Go for the RV 50a.. (better to do it "full bore" once & not have to dig it up and do it right the second time..
The pad is the same..
A 16' x 55 or 60' will enable you to prepare for your next coach, and will allow you to extend all the slides when you work on it without having to step off the pad.(twisted ankles are no kind of fun)
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:50 AM   #12

If you do " 30 AMP " be sure its a 120 volt only, RV service. This is where electricians mess up. They wire the 120 volt outlet as an old style 240 volt outlet.

50 amp service is a standard 120/240 volt service, used for many things.

http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/50amp_Service.htm
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:08 PM   #13

For our 32SA, I finally had a 50amp line and box run over to the gravel pad from the house. I do store it up on the jack - just like when we were in Florida for a month this year, and in Arizona for 5 weeks. Your choice in that respect.

I'd love concrete, but for now the gravel extension works and the 50 amp is great. No difference in running a 30 amp vs 50 amp from my electrician. Just chose the box, showed them the diagram on the inside of the electrical bay, and they understood, wired it correctly (I double checked as well when they were done) and now I can run both A/Cs if I choose, microwave, residential fridge, etc without a worry.

I originally just ran a regular 20 amp plug out to the rig with an extension cord. It kept the batteries charged, but I couldn't run the a/c in summer when we were loading up for a trip and cooling down the fridge.

enjoy your new rig!
Old 04-21-2018, 09:29 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Re Pads under tires.... Optional In the old days the answer was yes but modern tires are made from better stuff

Re: jacks DO NOT LIFT TIRES OFF THE GROUND USING RV's LEVELING JACKS.. but do extend them to level and perhaps an inch or two more, and if you are in the north put a block (2" thick wood) under them.. Reason follows other stuff.

Re: electric.. I put in a TT-30 properly wired (I wired it myself so I knew it was right) if you hire it done I'd either go with a standard park box or a 50 amp RV outelt. Manual breaker/switch at box is optional.. I had a breaker in basement.

The pads
First time I went to pull out in winter (january) jacks were frozen to ground, getting 'em broke loose w/o damage was a pain.

2nd time the wood blocks were likewise frozen to ground but jacks came p normally.. I drove off the blocks and tapped 'em gently with an 8 pound sledge hammer.. they came loose and I stoeed 'em (and the hammer) and hit the road.

Tags
storage