Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2018, 10:16 PM   #1

Surge Guard External

We have a new 2019 Open Road. We have the Surge Guard 41260 installed, but are thinking of getting a full surge protector Surge Guard 34850 or newer 34950. For those that use these external Surge Guards do you find it difficult for them to fit on most campground pedestals? It looks like it hangs down fairly far. I don't want the bottom connection near the ground where water could cover it.

Thanks for your sharing your RVing experience.
whciv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2018, 12:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whciv View Post
We have a new 2019 Open Road. We have the Surge Guard 41260 installed, but are thinking of getting a full surge protector Surge Guard 34850 or newer 34950. For those that use these external Surge Guards do you find it difficult for them to fit on most campground pedestals? It looks like it hangs down fairly far. I don't want the bottom connection near the ground where water could cover it.

Thanks for your sharing your RVing experience.
I have the Surge Guard hard wired in from the factory, but I just got this one for added protection plus Lifetime Warranty

https://www.campingworld.com/ems-pt5...rge-protection
I had there hard wired system in my 5er and liked it a lot.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:21 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have one built in from the factory, but I use a Progressive Industries external unit as well. They have a lifetime warranty. I’ve seen posts complaining about the customer Service. My last unit fried at one of the RV parks. Progressive Industries requires a receipt or at least some proof of purchase. I had neither. They replaced it anyway with free shipping to my house. Can’t beat that.

Steve
2016 Tiffin Red 37 PA
Sjg1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:51 AM   #4

They usually don’t hit the ground. I use a block of wood to support the weight. I also bought a 18 inch flexible extension I plug in the pedestal.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:39 AM   #5

We have a Tiffin coach with the Surgeguard 41260 installed. In addition, we have a portable Progressive Industries 50 amp ems system which we use at the end of the power cord at the electrical post connection. My previous RV had a hardwired progressive industries EMS, but one time it did its job and then we had no way to get power to the rv until it was bypasses or removed. With the portable one, you have some flexibility if the ems system does its job or conks out on you. Next weekend , I will find a way to have the ems system connected inside the coach so I don’t have to drag it out each trip. I don’t like the plastic cover that comes on the new portable PI ems systems.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:57 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Tiffin Phaeton here with the Surgeguard that came with it. Had the Progressive 50A external device I bought for our previous 5th wheel. So I wired the Progressive inside the electric bay and positioned it between the cord reel and the Surgeguard. I now have the protection of the Progressive AND the protection of a locked electric bay.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surge guard