Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2016, 08:56 PM   #1

Surge Protectors

Is it necessary to have a portable surge protector on the end of your power cord IF your Motorhome has a built in surge protector in the electrical basement storage area ?
WillieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2016, 09:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If you have a surge protector hard wired in then you would not need to have one on the end of your power cord.

What is the make and model of the hard wired surge protector.

Not all surge protectors are made equal. It's important to know what conditions it will protect you from.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:08 PM   #3

Surge Protector

I have a 2013 Tiffin Phaeton with a surge protector built in in the storage area for the power cord !
Old 06-19-2016, 09:10 PM   #4

See reply below, I am new to this and 73 years old !
Old 06-19-2016, 09:18 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieH View Post
No problem, everyone here is glad to help and answer you questions.

It would be nice to know make and model of your surge protector, it would allow us to give you a more definitive answer.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:51 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Is it necessary to have a portable surge protector on the end of your power cord IF your Motorhome has a built in surge protector in the electrical basement storage area ?
Willie, check the make and model number of your surge protector. Also, let us know if it is a separate surge protector or just the transfer switch with some surge protection built in. If it is the SurgeGuard 41260 transfer switch like came in our Tiffin, it has very limited protection for surge only. The Progressive Industries HW50C is probably the best management system as it protects against over and under voltage as well as mis wired pedestals. It also has a display that shows voltage and amperage draw on each leg of the shore power. It was one of the first things I installed on our new Tiffin.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:43 AM   #7

I agree hardly with Lt Dan! The progressive ems unit does much more than surge protection. It can save your 'bacon' from a bad pedestal wiring. Just installed one in my 2013 Phaeton.
drgoodhands2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:51 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
The 2017 Phaeton I recently ordered is in production and in station 9 in the main plant today. I am trying to find out if I can get a Surge Guard Model 40350 RVC automatic transfer switch instead of the standard switch which I think is the 40250.
The 40350 is much like the Progressive EMS HW 50C and will provide protection for not only surge, but high and low voltage, open neutral, open ground, reverse polarity, high & low frequency. If I can't before it gets through the line I will take the Progressive off my Cedar Creek 5th. wheel and install in the Phaeton. I would never plug up without it.
lakefront5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:29 AM   #9

Wise decision!
drgoodhands2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:20 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Willie,
The reason we need to know the model of your surge protector, is that it likely only protects against high voltages. You are far more likely to experience low voltages (which burns out your devices due to overcurrent conditions) at campgrounds, which the standard model doesn't prevent.

Even within the Progressive line, capabilities vary based on model. You don't want detection/notification....you want protection! Protection will actually drop out the Progressive Transfer switch, preventing the bad power from getting to your transfer switch and the coach wiring.

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #11

Hugh's autoformer

I have read nothing but good things about the Hugh's Autoformer it boosts the voltage when the pedestal is low and is a surge guard
kg6vvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6vvo View Post
I have read nothing but good things about the Hugh's Autoformer it boosts the voltage when the pedestal is low and is a surge guard

The Hughes is great for boosting voltage. The problem is that many times a surge will take the unit out. At that point the Hughes has to be rebuilt. I have a simple Progressive surge guard only mounted in front of the Hughes to protect it.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:34 PM   #13

I have the SurgeGuard transfer switch (was upgraded when original transfer switch went bad). I added the hard wired Progressive Industries HW50C with a second readout in cabinet above drivers seat. Allows me to monitor power from inside bus. Very handy the couple times we had to hook to 30amp power or had a pedestal problem on 50amp.
Gary Pilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:43 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I'm 73 years young & just installed the Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C in front of my Model 41260 Transfer Switch today. I just left the remote readout in the power compartment so I can see what's happening as I connect the power.
ahiggs is offline   Reply With Quote