RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Switch to Aluminum Rims

I recently purchased a 2012 Tiffin RED 34"
Has the Freightliner Chassis.
Coach came with steel rims with Covers. Don't like them. Want to change to all aluminum. (Alcoa Type) Can't find sizes of existing rims so that I could order from somewhere..Anybody know those sizes and or a good place to order them from.

Thanks
Craig Paton

rodeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #2

My Goodyear dealer handles alcoa wheels. Will probably switch mine out to aluminum in a few weeks. 13 Newmar Baystar running 19.5 inch wheels with Goodyear rubber. I don't think I can get two alloy rims on the rear as the studs may not be Long enough. May have to keep the steel on the inside, and run alloys on the outside. Will also install koni shocks front and rear, and also have centramatic wheel balancers coming for all 4 corners. And a rear trac bar is also on it's way. The F53 is the worst handling truck I have drove in 39 years in the trucking business. So maybe these mods will help is a bit. Plan to trade next year for a DP if all works out. But if I can get it to handle and ride a little better it may stay around for a few years. Love the Newmar coach, just not happy with the ford bread truck they stuck under it.

KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #3

The 2013 RED has the option of alloy rims for $2000 if preordered. Tiffin could probably help you with the size.
wayne0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I knew what my rim sizes were from looking at the weight sticker on the MH sidewall. I went to a truck wrecking yard and bought Alcoa's for $150 each, then had to find a place to polish them as they weren't the newer coated ones. Final cost as about $200 per wheel for the alum ones and $40 each for the inner steel ones to match the wider Alcoa's. When I put new tires on I took them to the tire dealers, had the now tires mounted on the new rims. A few days later I took the MH in. Then all they had to do was change the wheels with the tires mounted.
If I had it to do all over again I'd get refurbed ones here.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D
I knew what my rim sizes were from looking at the weight sticker on the MH sidewall. I went to a truck wrecking yard and bought Alcoa's for $150 each, then had to find a place to polish them as they weren't the newer coated ones. Final cost as about $200 per wheel for the alum ones and $40 each for the inner steel ones to match the wider Alcoa's. When I put new tires on I took them to the tire dealers, had the now tires mounted on the new rims. A few days later I took the MH in. Then all they had to do was change the wheels with the tires mounted.
If I had it to do all over again I'd get refurbed ones here.
Thanks for the great info!
Ordering now
Old 10-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #6

The un-coated ones are a PAIN in the butt to polish once pitted, so you have to keep up on them. My truck has 19.5s w/o coating.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:19 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Out of curiousity, is there any functional benefit of having alum wheels on a motor home (we have a steel rims with simulators). I think the alums look a lot nicer but it's not enough of a reason for me to spend money upgrading them.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
My thinking is the looks and the lighter weight of the aluminum rims. As for the costs, Your spending a pretty penny on the RV in the first place. The paint job alone costs thousands of $$$ and you wouldn't want to wear a pretty prom dress or nice suit with ugly shoes
Old 10-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #9

Hi,
I had the same handling problem, installed a supersteer stabiliser and a Henderson,lineup rear track bar; what a difference. Mine is on 22.5 aluminum wheels and michelin tires, was riding like junk until I did these mods. You will not regret it, maybe you will keep it a bit longer.
Ride safe
Larock55
larock55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelb View Post
Out of curiousity, is there any functional benefit of having alum wheels on a motor home (we have a steel rims with simulators). I think the alums look a lot nicer but it's not enough of a reason for me to spend money upgrading them.
I didn't get the alum rims until we upgraded tires and needed wider rims. I could have just gotten the wider steel ones but I wanted the alum rims and I could afford it. If I had ordered the alum rims it would have been $2,200 extra and I'd have had to replace them all anyway when we went to the wider front tires anyway. Cost me less too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
The un-coated ones are a PAIN in the butt to polish once pitted, so you have to keep up on them. My truck has 19.5s w/o coating.
you ain't just whistling Dixie

my wheels were horribly stained and UGLY
after many polishing evolutions
that came out looking good
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	april 2012 polishing2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	28091  

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
What size are the Tires? If You have that information it is easy to calculate the correct wheel for that size on the Alcoa or Accuride Websites!
Old 11-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Conchasjim Send a message via Yahoo to Conchasjim
What did you find that worked the best to get them looking that good, powerboatr?
Conchasjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #14

All steel wheels have the size and carrying capacity stamped on each wheel (dot requirement) Look on the rear next to the lug nut pattern and you should find this.

stink is offline   Reply With Quote