Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2017, 03:05 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tail light bulb

How in the heck do you get the bulb out of the tail light lens on a 2003 Allegro Bus. I can get the tail light assembly out and then I am stuck. It appears that there are metal tabs running from the plugs the wires hookup from the RV. I tried raising them and turning the piece that should come out to get to the light bulb. That didn’t work and the bad part I couldn’t get the tabs back down to touch the bulb that is in the light fixture. Any guidance will be appreciated.
caninecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2017, 09:27 AM   #2

Any chance you could post a photo of what you're dealing with.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:03 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Any chance you could post a photo of what you're dealing with.
I hope these will help show what I am working with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	059.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	163521   Click image for larger version

Name:	060.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	163522  

Old 05-31-2017, 11:56 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I see no one has been able to help you on this yet. These taillights that Tiffin uses are from various years truck taillights but I don't know what year vehicle they used for the 2003. Generally they are push and twist for removal from the fixture then unplug the wires and reattach to the new bulb but maybe yours has "frozen" due to dirt. You might want to check on the TRVN (Tiffin Owners forum) website because I am sure that someone on there has done this before and can tell you exactly how it is supposed to work on yours.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:48 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmoses View Post
I see no one has been able to help you on this yet. These taillights that Tiffin uses are from various years truck taillights but I don't know what year vehicle they used for the 2003. Generally they are push and twist for removal from the fixture then unplug the wires and reattach to the new bulb but maybe yours has "frozen" due to dirt. You might want to check on the TRVN (Tiffin Owners forum) website because I am sure that someone on there has done this before and can tell you exactly how it is supposed to work on yours.
To remove turn counter clockwise. may have to use a pair of pliers. Don't pull the wires off the contact blades.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:04 PM   #6

HI Caninecop; I looked at your pictures and they are not like any standard tail light fixture I have seen. I can only guess that the tab sticking up opposite the wires is a release tab to let the socket turn in the tail light housing for removal. The tab has some space in-between it and the wires to the lights. I would clean some of the dirt off and try pushing the tab to your left and see if it releases the socket. Or maybe push down on the tab? That tab looks to me like it is there to release the socket. Give it a try. On old plastic, I would not use too much force. Good luck and let us know if that worked.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:17 AM   #7

Is there a stamped DOT number on the lens ? Usually down towards the bottom of the light . If there is type that number into google and it will let you know what car or truck they came from .
rmk800ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:57 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
HI Caninecop; I looked at your pictures and they are not like any standard tail light fixture I have seen. I can only guess that the tab sticking up opposite the wires is a release tab to let the socket turn in the tail light housing for removal. The tab has some space in-between it and the wires to the lights. I would clean some of the dirt off and try pushing the tab to your left and see if it releases the socket. Or maybe push down on the tab? That tab looks to me like it is there to release the socket. Give it a try. On old plastic, I would not use too much force. Good luck and let us know if that worked.
Thanks for all that posted, I did post on TRVN and one of the post said about the same thing that you posted. I found out the hard way about old plastic, it snapped with just a little bit of pushing. The good part was I able to use a small blade screw drive to release the bulb. Put in new bulb, the socket snapped right back in. Now I a good to go, thanks so much for all who posted.

Tags
light