RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2019, 05:11 AM   #1

Takes a red neck RV tech to fix Tiffin

after 2 years of on going problems with my onan 7,000 generator I got a red neck rv tech up in n ga to look at it and he finally determined that my problem was the fuel pump needed to be replaced. i've had onan reps look at it at tiffin rallies and also took it to a cummins shop. i think some sort of short was the problem. anyway so called experts were useless again. Dave

allegro1x is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2019, 08:28 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
High failure rate part. Bad thing is it usually is an intermittent fail...hard to diagnose. Also throws code that says replace board ( $650). Some last 1000s of hours, some 50!

Buy on Ebay Airtex, under $50...dealer double plus...same part, different label.

Carry a spare, they usually fail on a high temp day when running air...telling DW no electricity greatly compounds your problem!

Airtex E11020 on Amazon $38

Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:48 AM   #3

sounds a lot like mine. Dave
Old 01-09-2019, 11:58 AM   #4

I had problems with my onan sometimes not starting very good and quitting for no reason. It would start rite up after quitting. Checked the fuel flow and pressure of the pump. All was good. I replaced the fuel pump with an aftermarket one 3 yrs ago and have not had a problem since.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:18 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
This is the spare fuel pump I carry fro our 7000 generator. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-10-2019, 07:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro1x View Post
after 2 years of on going problems with my onan 7,000 generator I got a red neck rv tech up in n ga to look at it and he finally determined that my problem was the fuel pump needed to be replaced. i've had onan reps look at it at tiffin rallies and also took it to a cummins shop. i think some sort of short was the problem. anyway so called experts were useless again. Dave

Good that you finally got a fix for your problem. IMO, nothing can substitute for time and experience when trying to diagnose and repair a malfunction, especially when the malfunction is intermittent.

Not trying to defend the "experts," but generally they cannot/do not spend the time necessary to track down an issue like you had, and may not have had the extensive "hands-on" repair experiences that a general repairman has.

Bottom line, it's fixed.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:55 AM   #7

FWIW, here's our saga from 15+ years ago on a brand new MH.

We hear you on a redneck RV tech establishing a problem. Our at the time brand new Fleetwood Southwind (Workhorse) kept dying on every trip we went out on for the first 18 months+. We were towed several times to various large repair facilities, told we had put dirty fuel in her; were asked to pay $287 for a dirty fuel filter (we'd only driven her 800kms from new personally post delivery); had the fire brigade clear traffic when we died at an intersection in Great Falls. She would drive fine in cooler weather overnight ironically. Finally after driving from Calgary to Milk River, ready to cross the border she died on us again on another trip and the guy in the local FORD auto garage, casually said, it sounds like your fuel pump. Accordingly we limped overnight and the next day to a repair facility in North Dakota, and when they opened the next morning, very stressed out we told them what our history was. The guy said with hands up "mam if you want a new fuel pump we'll put one in", there was a mountain of old fuel pumps stacked in their shop against the wall. Voila, not a problem ever since in that regards (well apart from being on engine No 3 since 2013!), and that was back in 2005! Go figure, all that heart ache and stress with a brand new MH, ruined vacations, and no one thought to change out the fuel pump back then.

Our local reliable, work from his acreage mechanic at home base moved to Australia about 4 years ago, and we've struggled to find anyone to replace him sadly. So if anyone knows of anyone similar in Southern Alberta (100kms+ radius of Calgary or so), please send us their contact info
SoonToBeFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:31 PM   #8

Here is my redneck generator mechanic story. Bought a Used Phaeton a few years ago. Being my first diesel I thought that the generator vibrated excessively but didnít have anything to compare it to. After visiting numerous coaches with Onan generators,it was apparent to me and other people that my generator did vibrate more than others. After visiting two dealers and an independent diesel shop and being told by each that some motors just vibrated more than others, I finally called Tiffin. They informed me that they didnít do generator work but recommended a shop near me that was an authorized service location so I called and set up an appointment. I arrived at the place to discover RV service center slash lawnmower dealer, needless to say first impressions werenít great but I had driven two hours. I go in and ask for the guy that I had spoken with on the phone, he comes out of the shop wiping grease off his hands. We walk out to the MH, he tells me to slide the generator out and crank it. He walks up, lays his palm on the generator for a few seconds, turns it off, turns to me and tells me that my motor mounts have collapsed and need replacing. Iím like WTF, how can you tell that just by laying your hand on the generator, he laughs and says that Onan had a bunch of motor mounts about the age of mine that were defective and he had replaced dozens of them. He was right.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:59 AM   #9

RogerG, he was just praying you had plenty of money. Dave
Old 01-12-2019, 07:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro1x View Post
RogerG, he was just praying you had plenty of money. Dave

Probably, luckily he didnít have the parts in stock and I would need to reschedule. He quoted 6 hours labor at $125 per hour. I usually donít take advantage of someoneís expertise but I grew up on a farm and Iím not adverse to getting my hands dirty. I bought the parts for $65 and did the work myself. It took me 6 hours as he quoted but I could do the next one in under 4 now that I know what Iím doing. Onan didnít make these things with ease of maintenance in mind.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBeFT View Post
FWIW, here's our saga from 15+ years ago on a brand new MH.

We hear you on a redneck RV tech establishing a problem. Our at the time brand new Fleetwood Southwind (Workhorse) kept dying on every trip we went out on for the first 18 months+. We were towed several times to various large repair facilities, told we had put dirty fuel in her; were asked to pay $287 for a dirty fuel filter (we'd only driven her 800kms from new personally post delivery); had the fire brigade clear traffic when we died at an intersection in Great Falls. She would drive fine in cooler weather overnight ironically. Finally after driving from Calgary to Milk River, ready to cross the border she died on us again on another trip and the guy in the local FORD auto garage, casually said, it sounds like your fuel pump. Accordingly we limped overnight and the next day to a repair facility in North Dakota, and when they opened the next morning, very stressed out we told them what our history was. The guy said with hands up "mam if you want a new fuel pump we'll put one in", there was a mountain of old fuel pumps stacked in their shop against the wall. Voila, not a problem ever since in that regards (well apart from being on engine No 3 since 2013!), and that was back in 2005! Go figure, all that heart ache and stress with a brand new MH, ruined vacations, and no one thought to change out the fuel pump back then.

Our local reliable, work from his acreage mechanic at home base moved to Australia about 4 years ago, and we've struggled to find anyone to replace him sadly. So if anyone knows of anyone similar in Southern Alberta (100kms+ radius of Calgary or so), please send us their contact info
3 motors? You mentioned workhorse and Ford? What motor do you have? I may be able to help.
fleatools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:02 AM   #12

It's not Tiffin's fault. Why tag their name on to this.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleatools View Post
3 motors? You mentioned workhorse and Ford? What motor do you have? I may be able to help.
Have sent you a private message Fleatools. It's a 2003 Fleetwood Southwind Gas Workhorse.
SoonToBeFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:45 AM   #14

Book learnin' vs experience I'll take experience EVERY time

flattire101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin