Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
TGA Door Lock

We just had an issue with our 2012 TGA 34' Open Road Door lock. I went to open the door at the Camp Ground in Island Park, Idaho in the morning and could not get out. The only good thing is we have the Driver Door so i was able to get out and get my tool box and get the Door open. Red Bay is sending us a new one but i am now reading that there has been the same problem with others. I am worried about what if it had been an emergency and we have pets with us. We are on the Road for the next 3 months and i hope we have no more issues with that Door.
Tractor16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The question is it the lock or the door latch alignment. My door is really tight when the temps are low but the lock system works fine. There was a change during the 2012 model year on lock mechanisms. My lock is a Trimark (late 2012 build) and it is distinctly different that others I have seen on 2012s.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Roger & Mary, ours is a Bauer. The problem is with the Door Latch. We got the new one and i put it in. We got a Call today From Bob Tiffin and he wanted more info as to what failed with the Latch so i sent pictures with info as to what was wrong and what part fell down and would not allow the Door to open. He said that they will use the pictures and info in their next meeting next Monday. We were vary impressed that he took the time to call us with his concern. We had heard from other Tiffin Owners that if you could talk to Mr. Tiffin he would Get it right and now i can say That is The Truth.
Tractor16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor16 View Post
We just had an issue with our 2012 TGA 34' Open Road Door lock. I went to open the door at the Camp Ground in Island Park, Idaho in the morning and could not get out. The only good thing is we have the Driver Door so i was able to get out and get my tool box and get the Door open. Red Bay is sending us a new one but i am now reading that there has been the same problem with others. I am worried about what if it had been an emergency and we have pets with us. We are on the Road for the next 3 months and i hope we have no more issues with that Door.
I currently have a 2006 Allegro Bay and had the door lock do the same thing...could not be opened from the inside easily. You could not press it down to open, just seemed stuck. However, with work it could be opened. From the outside the latch was totally loose and did not engage when pulled. We had to order a new lock assembly from Red Bay to correct the problem. We, too, has pets inside and the driver side door saved us, becoming our main point of entry.
We are considering trading for a diesel, with no driver side door, it worries me what we would do if that happened again and the pets were stuck inside. I guess break a window, if the lock smith can't fix it...he couldn't this time.
Jasper44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have had a door latch problem on my 2005 allegro bus. Pulled on the outside handle and it just pulled loosely but did not activate the latch. Was not sure how to deal with that so I called tiffin and the tech told me the easiest way to break into the bus without having to break a window. ( I dont want to put it in a public forum) Luckily for me I had forgotten to lock the drivers side window and got my ladder and crawled through that. My door opened fine from the inside. I took the latch apart and found the problem. I do not know how to describe the fix but was fairly easy to fix. I believe the problem came from locking the deadbolt and then when I tugged on the door to check the lock pulling too hard. I still use the same latch after I fixed the problem.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #6

Question 2004 Tiffin Bay Door Lock

I am hoping to resolve the 'grinding' problem I get opening the door from the inside. Its like something is impinging or worn out. I would like to take it apart and lube it or something, but cannot find info on how to do it. Seems there are 4 phillips heads screws, but it that all?
Screiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two door locks I know a bit about, One is Tri-mark and I think the other is FastTek (Not sure of the name/spelling)

On Tri-Mark they use el-cheapo base metal for the striker bolt and of course the weakest part of the bolt.. Is the point with the most stress (Talk about a great design) when it breaks you can't open the door less you are real handy with a set of transmission seal picks.

The other one the deadbolt breaks and a recall has been issued. on that model

You may wish to check for recalls on your lock.

Tags
door