Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2017, 09:28 PM   #1

The 50 amp pole, and we have a generator, why tie them together.

It just dawned on me, , why tie the genny to the main 50 am plug in the main panel? If we use the same main panel but go triple throw breakers we can isolate the pole from the genny and use both.

If the breaker shifts left it is genny, if it shifts right it is pole. That is standard in backup power. Why not use it in real time?

I am truly a power hog.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2017, 09:32 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post
It just dawned on me, , why tie the genny to the main 50 am plug in the main panel? If we use the same main panel but go triple throw breakers we can isolate the pole from the genny and use both.

If the breaker shifts left it is genny, if it shifts right it is pole. That is standard in backup power. Why not use it in real time?

I am truly a power hog.
And the question is?
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
And the question is?
If there is 50amp on the pole, and 10k on the genny, can we use both at the same time? With existing breaker panel and triple throw breakers. Center is neutral. To what I have seen, nobody has done this before, Used that much power, I want to be the first,

Not either or.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:03 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your generator takes priority over the shore power. I think it is illegal to back feed gen power to the shore line. Electricity will go any where it can go as long as there is no built in safety feature blocking its path. Exceeding the designed amp load or defeating the safety features built in to your system is Foolish, Sometimes, the first guy to do something, was also the last...
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:07 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"nobody has done this before, Used that much power, I want to be the first"

Second question is: WHY?
Old 10-24-2017, 01:01 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Long story short...you can't do that.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:35 AM   #7

You could certainly do it by adding a sub-panel for particular heavy loads. As you say, if the sub panel is of the manual transfer style you would have the option to draw those circuits from either shore or genny.

How cool would it be to run 6 A/C units at the same time and cool the RV down in about 10 minutes!

Keep those wheels turning, buddy.

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:44 AM   #8

Don’t. Park. Next. To. Me.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:01 AM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRichard View Post
Don’t. Park. Next. To. Me.
X2 ! Park far far AWAY!
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:52 AM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
What your talking about with the breakers is its one or the other, not both.
As someone else said they best way is a separate panel that say runs just your AC's off the gen. Then you would have to have a transfer switch when you are not using both shore and gen. Seems like a lot of work without much benefit. if you have 50 amp service you should have power to run 2 AC's and the rest of your devices.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:05 AM   #11

Sounds dangerous to me. Dave
Old 10-24-2017, 06:26 AM   #12

First I'd like to know what all are you using, at the same time, in the MH that is pulling more than 100 amps?
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:35 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have never had the need of more then 50 amp power. I have ran three 1500 watt heaters, the heat pump and the microwave all at the same time in my 36LA and never tripped a circuit breaker. I will pass on this upgrade.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:38 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The original post is a bit ..... Unclear I had to read it carefuly to find out he's not purposing anythign dangerous.

If you use a "Back up generator" (Techincally what an RV genny is) you MUST have some way to insure that the Generator and the Main power (Shore power) are NEVER EVER tied together Absolutly never...

The O/P spoke of a 3 way switch (Shore/off/generator) like I had in my house when I had a house. Worked great by the way.

Most RV's today that have a generator have an Automatic Transfer Switch. IT may be Shore/oFF/Genny or it may be Shore/genny (Passing off as it switches) but again it assures that the two are NEVER tied together.

Some still have a "Manual Transfer Switch" Usually these are 30 amp RV's and older too boot. .In this system there is a TT-30 outlet somewhere, usually near the generator, and if you want to use the gernerator you simply PLUG IN.

I have this for my inverter just now since the Original inverter is down for service and I'm using a back up.. Again works great, INSURES you never have multiple power sources conneccted at one time as you can't plug the same plug into two outlets at once.

100% safe

And to the O/P As I said above. Most modern RV's that come with generators have a automatic transfer switch that does more or less exactly what you suggest Without the need to switch breakers.

ONE recommendation.. IF you are switching from one source to another.. Keep power OFF for at least 3 minutes.

Tags
generator