Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2015, 08:23 PM   #1

The stuff you figure out after you buy

2014 Red 38QRA, doesnt have much towing capacity, should have done more research. Cant sit up in bed as cabinet is too low. LCI steps, the bolt breaks and the steps swing out from under you. quality is ok but they do miss stuff. Cabinet in front was broken and they glued it back together and didnt align the peices when they did it. Overall its a good coach and it gives me good ideas about what to watch for when we buy the next one. Not complaining just observations.
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2015, 08:34 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ordered a 2002 Dutch Star DP. Looked the specs over and saw that it had a NCC of 5,300#'s so I wasn't worried about the CCC.
Found out at delivery that it only had 663#'s of CCC and ALL of that was on the rear axle. In fact when we filled the fuel and propane tanks the rig was 50#'s overweight on the front axle before we got aboard or loaded a thing in it.
After some "negotiation" with Newmar and an evaluation they decided to replace the front axle with a 13,200# unit but the old front axle had a 50° wheel cut and the new one only had 45°. I used all of the 50°'s to get the rig in beside the house. After some back and forth Newmar agreed to put in a 14,600# axle. That led to more problems and the steering box needed to turn the opposite way. Spartan didn't think I would want to turn the wheel left to go right!
Anyway, got it done, then at tire changing time I upgraded to wider Alcoa wheels and 305/70 tires on the front.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:31 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
What did it take to repair your steps?
Old 09-03-2015, 05:05 AM   #4

The stair bolt has been an issue since 2010. Seems like they would redesign a known issue. We put support blocks under the stairs when set up to minimize the pressure on the stairs. My bolt sheered off and all the pressure i on one point. Poor design. 70 dollars for part to install myself. Also, stair controller is not weather proof and will get water in it. I sprayed with rubber coat to minimize issue. Another 150 fix. Easily design changes, but I guess Tiffin just does not seek this kind of input.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:59 PM   #5

Tiffin said i needed to change out steps to another brand for $500 plus and all I want is the bolt. They dont seem to know what it is as they wanted me to send a picture of the bolt. Rv dlr i stopped at in Wa hasnt called me back yet even though he said he would, but its only been a week.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:30 PM   #6

NevadaNick, hope you get the steps replaced soon. I just had the step motor replaced and it was about $350, but only had to pay $129 with my insurance deductable. I had a motor that wasn't even in the tech's book. Lippert would have had to build motor, but guy looked around in some parts he had bought from someone that went out of business and found a new motor. Motor worked fine, but because the controller was also a rare one I had a back up controller ordered. Have you ever heard of Wadde Mitchell a story teller from Elko? Dave
Old 09-04-2015, 01:30 PM   #7

Yes i have heard of Waddie. The poetry thing is a big deal here.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:33 PM   #8

Tiffin didnt have the bolt and would have to order (hard to believe they dont stock it) I already found it elsewhere and ordered 2 of em. Dlr in Wa still hasnt called and when we buy a new motorhome of which we are going to do i wont call them either.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:42 PM   #9

Just recieved shipping confirmation with tracking number on bolts i ordered last night. Should have just done it myself from the beginning.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:15 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What kind and size is this bolt??. Can't imagine about shearing unless it's undersized or Chinese junk...
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:54 PM   #11

Electric Coach Step Parts :: Stromberg Carlson Its in this parts blowup. Seems to be a common problem with LCI Coachsteps.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:06 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
2014 Red 38QRA, doesnt have much towing capacity, should have done more research. Cant sit up in bed as cabinet is too low. LCI steps, the bolt breaks and the steps swing out from under you. quality is ok but they do miss stuff. Cabinet in front was broken and they glued it back together and didnt align the peices when they did it. Overall its a good coach and it gives me good ideas about what to watch for when we buy the next one. Not complaining just observations.
Yeah, I feel the same about our RED. We really love it, and it is put together pretty well, but I know what I want on the next coach.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:11 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you tried a grade 8 bolt?
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:12 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Looks like it's that shoulder bolt. You would probably need a thin sleeve in order to replace it with a standard type bolt.