RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2008, 01:45 PM   #1

Our 12V toilet has begun to sound really loud and "creaky" when it is flushed. Until now (for the last year) it hasn't been so very noisy. Wondering if anyone lubricates their mechanism. If so, what do you use, and how do you do it?

elgarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2008, 01:45 PM   #2

Our 12V toilet has begun to sound really loud and "creaky" when it is flushed. Until now (for the last year) it hasn't been so very noisy. Wondering if anyone lubricates their mechanism. If so, what do you use, and how do you do it?

Old 10-08-2008, 03:57 PM   #3

elgarc, we've had our aria 11 for approx 7 yrs now and it's always sounded like a meat grinder.
have repalced 1 motor and a couple of gate seals in the last 6 yrs and finally a complete new mechanism last fall and the new one sounds the same way! no lubrication nessasary according to thetford. i think its the nature of the beast! good luck. jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:13 PM   #4

Thanx Jim,

Does yours change intensity of the roar? Ours didn't start out this bad, so I'm thinking something has changed...just don't know what it might be. I've written to Thetford by email, so far no response. I'm used to that with some other companies, but if they ever have something to say to me, I'll post back here.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:17 AM   #5

elgarc, the the growl does change from the time the blade starts to open till close. almost funny at times. jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #6

OK, I am going to take a stab at explaining this....mine did the same thing, ie., "grinding noise got louder"....on the rear of the toilet there is the knob to manually open and close the seal, the shaft runs thru the housing and is attached to the gears inside, there is no replacable bushing in the shaft housing, the housing on mine had worn to the point of excessive shaft play, thus causing the gears to wear uneven and make excessive noise, this will eventually lead to a gear failure, the fix is to replace the motor....Thetford replace mine at no cost...hope this helps.
sullivan9162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
rex

Monaco Owners Club
And holding that knob and its mounting on the rear are several screws. If they get loose the noise will get louder. If they get loose enough, the unit will stop flushing, or jam. You can use a stubby screwdriver and tighten them without removing the toilet.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote