RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2019, 08:23 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro1x View Post
wait for the new ford f53 with the 7.3ltr v8 engine and 10 speed trans. probably later next year. Dave
Great advice. My thoughts exactly.

09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2019, 10:19 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1z View Post
I own a 2018 Thor Windsport 29M that we bought new, it now has 9K miles. We are very happy with the Windsport and have added many extras including 3k in suspension upgrades.
Every time we go to a show or dealer we are drawn to the Tiffin Allegro? They just seem so much better made but they have the same motor and chassie as my Thor. But there are things on the Tiffin that we just love.
Its just hard to trade in a 2018 that we like,if you understand what I mean.
Anyone out there that can tell me if it is worth the trade?
I have a Tiffin Allegro Bus and can say that Tiffin still services it at a discount rate. Out of warranty repairs are very reasonable--buy the parts and they supply labor free. I go once every two years for upgrades. Can't attest to Thor's service. Tiffin is well built and has all the features you would want. Get a Powerglide Chassis, you will love it.

Jesse James
Tiffin Alegro Bus--106,000 miles thus far. Still purring.

dejams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:23 PM   #45

We have a 2016 Thor Tuscany XTE. I can’t compare it to a Tiffin cause we’ve never owned a Tiffin. We did own a 2002 Fleetwood Expedition. I’ll admit that there several minor issues with the Thor over the first two years of ownership that took a couple years to resolve. I never had any problems with Thor customer service. In fact most times I called them they were able help me right away. Sometime they would send parts to me directly since I could fix the problem myself. Where we had problems was either the Camping World dealership. Never again will I buy a RV from them (particular dealership). It’s probably the last RV we ever buy so guess will stick with what we have.
dvidrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:44 AM   #46

This comparison fails as the make model is not in the 1st picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Gasser comparison

The Fleetwood Bounder 35k, Thor Hurricane 35M, Newmar Canyon Star 3710 are essentially the same floor plan as the Tiffin 36LA, while the Bounder 33C, Hurricane 32T are essentially the same as the Tiffin 31/32SA, and for Newmar, the Baystar 3124 is as close as I could find in a similar length.

Bounder 35k
22k/26k GVWR/GCWR
36’3” overall length
228” wheelbase
52.4% wheelbase / overall length ratio

Thor 35M
22k/26k
36'9" ol
242" wb
54.8% wb/ol

Newmar Canyon Star 3710
26k/30k
37’11” ol
242” wb
53.1% wb/ol

Tiffin 36LA
24k/30k; 26k/30k optional chassis
36’ 10” ol
252” wb
57% wb/ol

Bounder 33C
22k/26k (22.5” wheels)
34’3” ol
208” wb
50.6% wb/ol

Thor Hurricane 32T
20.5/26k (19” wheels)
33’11” ol
228" wb
56% wb/ol (That kinda surprises me.... )

Baystar 3124
22k/26k (22.5” wheels)
31’11” ol
200” wb
52.2% wb/ol

Tiffin 31/32SA
22k/26k (22.5” wheels), 24k/30k optional chassis
228” wb
33’ 31SA; 34’ 32SA ol
57.6% 31SA; 55.8% 32SA wb/ol

Also note, that the 22k/26k chassis is offered by Ford with either 19” wheels or 22.5” wheels. The lower end models are on the 19s, while the higher end units are on the 22.5s. The 24k/30k and 26k/30k are both on the 22.5s wheels with a larger 255/80 tire than the 235/80 on the 22k/26k. Everything under 22k is on 19s.

It should also be noted, that the “upgrade” from a 22k/26k chassis to a 24k/30k chassis only nets about 1,500 additional carry capacity as the raw for chassis of the 24k/30k chassis has an UVW ~500## more do to to significant differences in the chassis design/specs, including a higher strength steel frame.

On the other hand, the change from a 24k/30k to a 26k/30k gets you almost the full 2k as additional carry capacity (all on the rear axle) as the only difference between these chassis’s is the rear spring rating. But many folks will, have to eat into that GVW to some degree if their toad is between 4K and the most common 5k hitch rating to stay under the 30k GCWR.

Wheelbase to length ratio and the related weight distribution are a huge difference in ride and handling of any motor home, as well as the obvious cargo capacity being a key metric. The best wheelbase to length ratio I’ve seen on a gasser is around 58%, while 50% is marginal at best (and I think a general rule of thumb, under 50% is just about downright dangerous). Heavy rear and a light front axle will make steering squirrelly, while weight way behind the rear axle will create a pendulum effect exaggerating any tail wag and porpoising. A big rear “sail area” created by the house overhang behind the rear axle will increase any push / pull effects from passing trucks.

Then you have to also ask yourself just how / where the weight differences are when you see one coach on a smaller chassis than similar models? I mean, where did the weight go to start with much less any carry capacity?

And of course, any larger wheel and / or larger tire size do provide some level of ride improvement.

As for engine noise, it’s irrelevant 99% of the time if you actually drive it (not mindlessly try to let cruise control take over all the time), and again, it has a lot to do with the chassis size and how much the engine protrudes into the cabin (very little on ours) and insulation by the coach builder. As for ride, again, 98% of the time it’s just fine, and a really bad road is a really bad road for any vehicle.

Now, let’s have some fun with real world carry capacities. No, not gasser to gasser, Tiffin Gasser vs. Tiffin DPs. Yes, I know my coach is not the norm, but this is just too much fun.....

The Tiffin weight sticker for my coach is below as well as one from a Tiffin 37PA Allegro Red DP.

Um, can you say I win?; please say it out loud. It’s not even close, even more so as the Red is OCC and my sticker shows CCC. And yes, I’m well balanced F/R and L/R given my fully loaded 4 corner weights which also correlate to other CAT scale axle weighings along the way.

I haven’t looked at a 33AA Red, but given the shorter length on the same rated chassis as the 37PA, it’s still not going to get near my carry capacity either....

As for the Tiffin Breeze DP, forget about it, any Tiffin gasser is going to have more carry capacity; something like 2700# OCC on a 33BR.

Oh, SkyPilot,since your on TVRN, check out this thread. Um, yes, my little gasser has significantly more carry capacity than a 40IP Allegro Bus (3,350# OCC for those that aren’t on TRVN), yep, whatta bout that?

A Part of the TiffinRVNetwork - Login

Yes, there are significant differences between gassers, including and even more importantly, differences in the Ford chassis chosen for a given floor plan / coach size which can and does significantly impact ride and handling.

Just to close, we have over 37,000 miles in 4 1/2 years in our gasser. We have now stayed in around 125 different campgrounds (and several we’ve been to multiple times) while our outings are typically 1 to 3 months. We have traveled across the entire US to one degree or another (missing ND, KS, MO, CT, RI, AL) and 5 eastern Canadian provinces. We’ve been in the western mountain states 3 times, and I have easily tackled many significant mountain grades that give many RVers (including those in DPs) heart palpitations.

Haven’t ever 2nd guessed our decision to buy a new Tiffin gasser......... yes, we ordered ours with Sumo springs, added a Safe T Plus after the first 5000 miles and decided to put the aftermarket Bilsteins on after 25,000 miles.

Some of you’d be surprised just how good some of the gassers are these days.........
xrpb11a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:28 AM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
I own a 2018 Thor Windsport 29M that we bought new, it now has 9K miles. We are very happy with the Windsport and have added many extras including 3k in suspension upgrades.
Every time we go to a show or dealer we are drawn to the Tiffin Allegro? They just seem so much better made but they have the same motor and chassie as my Thor. But there are things on the Tiffin that we just love.
We owned a Coachmen Mirada which is in the same class so to speak as the Windsport. I can't even begin to tell the difference in quality now that we own a tiffin. I just wish we did it sooner. Every single thing is just a little bit or a lot of bit better. So many small details that are hard to realize during your first buying experience that Tiffins have that others dont.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:41 PM   #48

Trade In?

Quote:
How much can you afford to lose because it will be more than just your shirt. I love my Tiffin.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:32 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrpb11a View Post
This comparison fails as the make model is not in the 1st picture.
It was simply an exercise to prove the point that gas motorhomes, on the Ford F53 chassis, even with similar plans are “not the same”, and why.

I used models that I was familiar with from Tiffin and their Bounder “equivalents” plus some others to further make the point..... you’ll find that on this forum and others, all gassers are often dumped into the same bucket, and as was done within this thread as well.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:00 AM   #50

Tiffin vs ??

I would look past a Tiffin after owning an Allegro Bus for 5 months. Dealer service was poor, take it in, diagnose problem, and hold it captive until parts arrive. Do it yourself under warranty and they ship parts at no cost. We spent 3 weeks at Tiffin Service Center to fix issues. We arrived at Service Center with only 2 of 39 ceiling lights working. Left Service Center and spent the night in Memphis and 3 of the ceiling lights had quit working. We loved the floor plan but. Closest chassis service center for warranty was 500 miles. Traded for a SOB, some other brand, that we have been in 6 months. We just left Nappanee after 4 days to address problems.
augerdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:42 PM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by augerdogger View Post
I would look past a Tiffin after owning an Allegro Bus for 5 months. Dealer service was poor, take it in, diagnose problem, and hold it captive until parts arrive. Do it yourself under warranty and they ship parts at no cost. We spent 3 weeks at Tiffin Service Center to fix issues. We arrived at Service Center with only 2 of 39 ceiling lights working. Left Service Center and spent the night in Memphis and 3 of the ceiling lights had quit working. We loved the floor plan but. Closest chassis service center for warranty was 500 miles. Traded for a SOB, some other brand, that we have been in 6 months. We just left Nappanee after 4 days to address problems.
It looks like one unhappy owner vs many happy so you decide OP.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:56 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerdogger View Post

For the rest of the story. We have 62,000 miles on our '13 Bus and I can count on one hand the minor issues we had the first year. My dealer is 40 miles away and he handled everything in short order and offered to return the coach to me one time. In the last four years, I take it in annually to service the aqua-hot and maybe a shade or door adjustment. It has been the most trouble free coach of the seven we have owned. My dealer and Bob Tiffin are among the best in the industry for service and reliability.

Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin