Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2018, 10:58 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
This thing seems to make noise when we are underway.

I don' know the reason for this thing but it doesn't look like it is in the correct position. It is the thing that is mounted to the coach and keeps the slide topper from hitting the bus. The slide out cover seems to stop at this thing and then slap when we are going down the road. Can someone tell me what this is and why does it make noise when we are driving? I think it is catching wind but don't understand why they would design such a thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180218_163016.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	193017   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180218_162948.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	193018  

billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2018, 11:12 PM   #2

The bracket on the side of the wall is to engage the arm if the topper starts unrolling in wind gusts when you are on the road and the two generally shouldn't be touching. Hard to tell what might be making a noise but that bracket looks to be touching the roller and I don't think it should be. Would probably be tapping against each other when driving The bent arm holding the topper roller should be adjusted to hold the roller clear of everything.

Also looks as if the stop is further from the stop bracket than it should be as the topper can unroll a few inches before being stopped, but that adjustment is in your instruction manual. If it does unroll and then rewind even a few inches it will make more than a slap noise though so you will generally know when it happens
Old 02-20-2018, 04:02 AM   #3

take the awning in and out a few times to see if it will attach to the bracket correctly. If it doesn't correct itself, then you need a rv tech to correct it. Dave
Old 02-20-2018, 08:17 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
The topper stop bracket has to have a little clearance so that as the slide goes out and it starts to unwind the stop arm can clear the bracket. It does look like that insert in the wall bracket is not necessary and the stop arm would contact the bracket without it. If that were removed, the stop arm could probably be moved a little closer so it doesn't unwind as much in the wind.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:44 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
The bracket on the side of the wall is to engage the arm if the topper starts unrolling in wind gusts when you are on the road and the two generally shouldn't be touching. Hard to tell what might be making a noise but that bracket looks to be touching the roller and I don't think it should be. Would probably be tapping against each other when driving The bent arm holding the topper roller should be adjusted to hold the roller clear of everything.

Also looks as if the stop is further from the stop bracket than it should be as the topper can unroll a few inches before being stopped, but that adjustment is in your instruction manual. If it does unroll and then rewind even a few inches it will make more than a slap noise though so you will generally know when it happens
Thanks Tony, I think that is an excellent analysis of what this thing does. Does the lever need to be adjusted so that the arm is closer to the bracket, so it won't unravel? BTW the second picture is from the roof looking down the side of the coach.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:09 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdreamlv View Post
Thanks Tony, I think that is an excellent analysis of what this thing does. Does the lever need to be adjusted so that the arm is closer to the bracket, so it won't unravel? BTW the second picture is from the roof looking down the side of the coach.
It has to have some clearance so that as the slide extends out it will clear the stop bracket, but that looks like too much clearance.. You can't position it tight against the bracket or it won't extend or retract correctly.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:17 PM   #7

This thing seems to make noise when we are underway.

Clever engineering bastards.

If it is making noise, it is probably one barrel spring turn from being right. IE, not enough spring tension.

One could correct this by dismounting the arm and turning it one time, then re-attaching it. To increase tension in the barrel spring.

Myself,, would turn the arms 2 rotations on each side.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:41 AM   #8

The ideal orientation for that anti-billow stop arm is vertical, but 30 degrees away is generally OK.

The noise you hear - is that just a rattling noise that is more or less continuous when the road surface is not perfect, or is it an occasional sharp crack (not a good description) when you are travelling at high speed or with a cross wind.

If it is a rattle then it is because the collar on the end of the topper roller seems to be touching the antibillow bracket mounted on the side of the rig. Can see this touching in the top view. That extra 'hinged' part of the stop bracket is supplied to allow for the case where the roller position is further out from the side of the coach and in your case isn't required. All it is doing is requiring the antibillow arm to be positioned further around so it clears when the slide comes out and that means more billow can occur than should be the case.

If it is a sharp crack followed by the sound of the topper re-rolling then it is due to wind gusts and you might need to relocate that arm so it is vertical to reduce how far it billows, but in any case this should only happen under fairly severe side wind gust conditions. If it is happening at normal highway speeds without wind gusts then as already suggested the tension on the topper roller needs to be increased.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:44 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
It only happens when there is a strong gust of wind. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:42 PM   #10

Bill, I had two of my toppers replaced by a guy here in Sd early last year, not long after I purchased the coach. He adjusted those as he said mine were in the wrong position. I didn't really understand what he was talking about at the time, but during a wind caused white knuckle drive around Utah last year he must have done something right as they were quiet even though the gusts for 6 hours of driving were between 60-70 mph. Did I say it was white knuckled. I vowed never to drive in wind like that again, never ever.
I will be bringing my coach home this weekend and will take a picture of where he adjusted mine to. We appear to have very similar coaches.

-Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:09 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillSD View Post
Bill, I had two of my toppers replaced by a guy here in Sd early last year, not long after I purchased the coach. He adjusted those as he said mine were in the wrong position. I didn't really understand what he was talking about at the time, but during a wind caused white knuckle drive around Utah last year he must have done something right as they were quiet even though the gusts for 6 hours of driving were between 60-70 mph. Did I say it was white knuckled. I vowed never to drive in wind like that again, never ever.
I will be bringing my coach home this weekend and will take a picture of where he adjusted mine to. We appear to have very similar coaches.

-Bill
That would be much appreciated.

Bill
Old 03-05-2018, 07:16 PM   #12

Bill, here are the pics of the adjusted toppers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-03-05 17.06.10.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	194684   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-03-05 17.06.09.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	194685  

Name:	2018-03-05 17.05.47.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	194686   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-03-05 17.05.38.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	194687  

2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, noise