RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2019, 09:52 AM   #1

Thor Miramar vs Tiffin Open Road

Hello

My wife and I purchased a new 2018 Miramar 35.3 back in July of 2017. We ordered the motor home exactly the way we wanted it. We love the motorhome but I have been fighting some reoccurring issues and I am about at my wits end. The last issue is a leak that no one can seem to fix.

I know I will lose my butt ($$$) trading it in on something else but I can't enjoy my trips when I am constantly worrying about something breaking. I have been casually online shopping and I really like the Open Road 36UA and 36LA. I have not been able to find the answers to a couple of questions I have.

1) What type of slide system does Tiffin use in the Open road? Our Miramar uses the schwintek system which we have had several issues with.

2) What type of roof does the Tiffin open road have? In my research, many people seem to prefer fiberglass roofs and my Mirmar has a rubber roof.

3) One of the things I like about the Miramar is the multiplex system to operate the controls on the motorhome. I love being able to use my iPhone to control lights, awnings, etc. Does Tiffin use a similar system in their Open Roads models?

I know I will probably have some more questions but those are the major ones.

Burch

MetalGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2019, 10:15 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Burch,

Sorry about your present coach. I'm not sure I can answer all your questions but I think the 36LA uses both Schwintek and HWH, Power Gear, or something else. I also think the roof is probably EDPM or rubber. If you like the multi plex things I'm sure the latest Tiffins all have them. Now, If I were you I'd call them- there's someone there who'd love to answer all those questions and more

Old 09-09-2019, 10:21 AM   #3

The Open Roads have a fiberglass roof cap.
Wiscampsin1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #4

Tiffin uses fiberglass roofing. Keep in mind, not all "fiberglass" roofs are equal. I've seen the material from Forest River products and its thickness was half that of Tiffin's.

Tiffin uses slide mechanisms suited to the weight of the slide. They use hydraulic for the larger slides. Many problems occur with Schwintek being used on slides too heavy for the design. You will find them on Tiffins, but on the smaller slides.
Rolling Ragu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #5

Tiffin uses a molded fiberglass roof. Probably the best of all solutions since the radius of the roof is molded where other take a sheet of fiberglass and bend it over the sides which creates stress in the fiberglass.

As other stated, Tiffin does use Schwintek in addition to HWH and Powergear. I have 4 slides, 2 on the passenger side are Schwintek, the big one one the driver side is HWH hydraulic and the driver side rear is Powergear. I have not had any issues with either system, but I also make sure that I never stop the Schwintek in mid-travel and keep the button pushed a few seconds after the slide is in or out to sync the motors.
f18sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #6

We have a Tiffin 32Sa with a full fiberglass roof cap, Schwintek slide for bedroom and HWH hydraulic system for the main slider in living area. Having looked at Thor before purchasing our unit, I'd say there is no real comparison to the two aside from the chassid being an F53. Tiffin construction is much better, more detail and quality in their build than Thor. Tiffin will cost more, but you will get a much better product in the end.
HighDesert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:37 PM   #7

Our Miramar has two slides. The small bedroom slide has been fine but the larger living area slide has given me fits. I hold my breath every time I try and retract it. One time I didn't think I would be able to get it in. Ended up having to replace both motors. I wonder if the Tiffin 36UA has a hydraulic slide for the full length slide?

I know I will lose a bunch of money trading in but if I can't get this leak fixed soon, I am going to throw in the towel.

We are staying at LazyDays resort in Tampa this weekend so I might go over to the dealership and look at some of the Tiffins this weekend.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:12 AM   #8

Your question was answered in my response above.
Rolling Ragu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:50 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
We purchased the OR 36la on March 1st......If you are going to be a full-timer, please, please pay special attention to the axle loads and the GVWR. The 2018 we bought had a GVWR of 24,000 lbs and, due to all of the features that come with having a Tiffin Motorhome (EG: tile flooring) the OCCC (Occupant and Cargo Capacity) is limited. That said, The OR 36la is truly the epitome of a mobile HOME....beautiful and comfortable inside. A solution would be look for one with a GVWR of 26,000, if available. My two cents for what it's worth. Happy Hunting!
2016 2-Door Wrangler JK, Blue Ox Alpha & Patriot 2
Reyfeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:39 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGator View Post
Our Miramar has two slides. The small bedroom slide has been fine but the larger living area slide has given me fits. I hold my breath every time I try and retract it. One time I didn't think I would be able to get it in. Ended up having to replace both motors. I wonder if the Tiffin 36UA has a hydraulic slide for the full length slide?

I know I will lose a bunch of money trading in but if I can't get this leak fixed soon, I am going to throw in the towel.

We are staying at LazyDays resort in Tampa this weekend so I might go over to the dealership and look at some of the Tiffins this weekend.

I had a coachmen mirada, same class pricepoint as your miramar, the miramar might be a little nicer. I recently traded mine in for a Tiffin and it was the best decision i've made. Look, you will loose money, but for me loosing time, and energy on trips while trying to fix something or troubleshoot something. The stress it caused, was worth every penny. In addition to that just about every, and i mean everything is just a little bit, or a lot nicer on the tiffin vs the coachmen. Thor's dont have a great reputation, chances are once the leak is fixed the next thing breaks. You're rv will never be worth as much as it is today.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyfeo View Post
We purchased the OR 36la on March 1st......If you are going to be a full-timer, please, please pay special attention to the axle loads and the GVWR. The 2018 we bought had a GVWR of 24,000 lbs and, due to all of the features that come with having a Tiffin Motorhome (EG: tile flooring) the OCCC (Occupant and Cargo Capacity) is limited. That said, The OR 36la is truly the epitome of a mobile HOME....beautiful and comfortable inside. A solution would be look for one with a GVWR of 26,000, if available. My two cents for what it's worth. Happy Hunting!

It looks like the 2019 and 2020 models come with the 26,000 F53 Chassis.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
I had a coachmen mirada, same class pricepoint as your miramar, the miramar might be a little nicer. I recently traded mine in for a Tiffin and it was the best decision i've made. Look, you will loose money, but for me loosing time, and energy on trips while trying to fix something or troubleshoot something. The stress it caused, was worth every penny. In addition to that just about every, and i mean everything is just a little bit, or a lot nicer on the tiffin vs the coachmen. Thor's dont have a great reputation, chances are once the leak is fixed the next thing breaks. You're rv will never be worth as much as it is today.

I am going to give this Miramar until January. I spent a lot of time working on the leak this past weekend. If it is still leaking, I will be shopping at the Tampa RV show in January.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:24 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
I am going to give this Miramar until January. I spent a lot of time working on the leak this past weekend. If it is still leaking, I will be shopping at the Tampa RV show in January.
I can't add anything regarding your questions as it seems they've mostly been answered. What I CAN add though is my OPINION and that is, get rid of that THOR while you can! I bought a 2018 Challenger and had nothing but problems from leaks, to slide issues (it was ALWAYS a crap shoot if they'd go out and/or come back in), flooring, etc., etc. Had I taken it to the dealer for all the repairs and fixes needed (even though it was under warranty), I'd have rarely been able to use it the first full year. I spent many, MANY days fixing the quality issues they left needing attention, thank goodness I'm retired AND have pretty good mechanical skills.

I took a BIG HIT on it when I traded for this TIFFIN I have now but I've never looked back. The difference in quality is so much better it's unbelievable. Yes, I've had a few issues with the TIFFIN but nothing compared to that clunker I had for two years. I don't regret it at all and advise you to just bite the bullet if at all possible. You'll probably be many dollars and PEACE OF MIND ahead in the long run! Oh and by the way, the stories about Bob Tiffin (the owner) getting personally involved are true. I had one pretty big issue with mine and he personally called to let me know it would be fixed UNDER WARRANTY, even though I bought the coach used. Ya can't argue with that!

bharrisv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:55 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
It looks like the 2019 and 2020 models come with the 26,000 F53 Chassis.
Make sure you specifically identify the 26K chassis as the one you want. That way there's no confusion and no disappointment.

Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor, tiffin