Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2010, 08:12 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to sdemino
Tiffin 2010 ride

I own my new Phaeton for about 3 months now. I'm new to motorhomes so here is my question. I was traveling up interstate 95 from Orlando to Hilton Head island, Sc, In Georgia, I crossed some bridges that caused the motorhome to Bounce extremly hard. It was so hard that the washing machine is in need of repair. All clothes were on the floor in the closet. Now, when the Motorhome was delivered to me the wash machine was also in need of repair, looks like same problem.
Since I am in Hilton Head SC, I decided to head over to Freightliner in Gaffney. My question, has anyone else experienced this? I'm hoping that this is not normal.
sdemino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
From what I have read and also experienced Freightliner coaches have a considerable roll when taken over uneven roads. Our washer used to move all over until I braced it in the compartment better. If you want some relief from this problem search on "SuperSteer Motion Control Units".

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Check your tire pressures first. They may be cranked up to the maximum placarded pressure rating. Have your coach weighed and then check the Michelin tire pressure tables online to see how much pressure you really need in those tires. It's good to add an extra 5 PSI as a safety factor. If you have excessive tire pressure the coach will ride rough and tend to bounce more on rippled surfaces.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:10 PM   #4

You might try calling Tiffin and perhaps someone there can assist you in resolving your issue. From what I understand they give outstanding factory support to their customers.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:29 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In addition to all of the above advice, sometimes you just have to slow down. Some places in some of the interstates that I have traveled, I must keep the speed down to as low as 45 mph to keep the rough road from tearing up everything in the coach. I have my tire pressure according to the Michelin weight chart, SuperSteer MCUs installed and Koni shocks to replace the Sachs originals.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I will see what Freightliner says and keep you posted. Has anyone actually experienced the bounce i am talking about. The washer is held down by clamps so it dosent move. The problem is it just breaks. Like i said this happend on delivery, was repaired and now has happened again.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #7

All fixed. Now to get the other things repaired that broke because of the hard ride. Its like i;m in a totally different coach, nice ride, and so much less noise. Ok what it was, two nuts that hold on a threaded rod to acentuate air into the rear airbags fell off. Therefore they were doing nothing. Stooped by Gaffney, fixed in two Hrs. what a relief. Now this is what I expected.
Thanks for the help
Old 05-12-2010, 02:05 PM   #8

We have only had my Phaeton for 3 weeks but we did go over some rough highways on our first trip from Fort Worth to Loveland, Co. Our Phaeton has the Power Glide chassis and the roads didn't affect our Washer/Dryer operation.

Dan Bowman
2010 40' Phaeton Power Glide
jdanbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
sdemino, it sounds like you are talking about the ride height control valve assembly.
sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #10

Thanks for the good information here. Just bought our new 2010 Phaeton, 40'. Haven't left our dealer yet, still having extras added, solar panels, washer dryer, power cord reel, etc. We both love it so far.
Don
Hidesert is offline   Reply With Quote