Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Tiffin Allegro Breeze 28 BR vs. 32 BR

We are ready to purchase a new 2012 Tiffin Allegro Breeze. The question is whether to purchase a 28 foot or 32 foot model? This will be our first RV purchase. We are planning a 6 month trip intending to cover most of the US and parts of Canada and would like to get off the highways and stay mostly on 2 lane roads. I have driven the 32 BR but not the 28 BR. I am concerned about the limited under carriage storage and limited interior wardrobe storage on the 28 foot, but may be willing to sacrifice storage for better mpg or better handling. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.
Rodesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodesq
We are ready to purchase a new 2012 Tiffin Allegro Breeze. The question is whether to purchase a 28 foot or 32 foot model? This will be our first RV purchase. We are planning a 6 month trip intending to cover most of the US and parts of Canada and would like to get off the highways and stay mostly on 2 lane roads. I have driven the 32 BR but not the 28 BR. I am concerned about the limited under carriage storage and limited interior wardrobe storage on the 28 foot, but may be willing to sacrifice storage for better mpg or better handling. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.
I have driven both the 28 foot and 32 foot Breeze. I truly think you will happier with 32 foot model. It has just a little more inside storage plus the extra bays. The 32 foot model drove like a breeze and handled great. Mileage should not be an issue with either coach. 12-14 MPG easy. More once she is broke in. Tiffin is one of the best built coaches on the market. That power plant did very good but I was not on any hills. It still should not be an issue because you are not a car. The 55 to about 60-62 is a good speed limit. You will love how quiet she is. I presently drive a Sprinter, but by next summer I will have a Breeze.,
Mrpictureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:09 AM   #3

Rodesq...I have a 32 which I have since July. Our SOB was 39 ft. So we downsized..and I have to say without a problem.
First I want to mention, which you might already know, is the 28 is not 28 ft. Long but 29'7"..... the 32 is 33'2".
The differences in storage is the 32 has a clothes closet in the bedroom, with 5 drawers under it. Also a tall cabinet next to the shower. And of course the 3+ extra feet in basement storage.
Both have mid tv's, however if you stop somewhere and can't put out your DS slide in the 32 the tv will be blocked. Just saying.
The 32 has the 2 slides in the living area which opens it up a bit more, as the PS slide is deeper than the DS slide.
I don't think the 3' will make difference at all traveling on the 2 lane roads. We have made u turns in ours, on a wide enough road of course.
We have about 4,000 miles on her, and have averaged just below 10 mpg, towing our 3500 lb. Saturn.
We love our Breeze, and size I think is what you get use to.
However, before you decide, I would drive a 28 . That may seal the deal for you one way or the other.
Good luck, and have fun " hunting" .
Sumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:18 AM   #4

Rodesq...if you haven't seen the tiffin forum yet, sign in ( you don't need to own one) .
There is a lot of info on the Breeze there.
Tiffinrvnetwork.com
Old 10-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Marty and Sue. Your experience with the 32 was very helpful. I noticed that you are towing a Saturn Aura. We are still debating whether or not to tow a car. We are likely to stay not more than 1-2 days at any location. Based on your experience would you take along a tow? Thanks.

Rod
Old 10-04-2011, 04:51 AM   #6

Rod, I would love NOT taking the toad...however just feel a little " safer" with it.
I know this might sound "over the top" for some but My fear is that we will need to get to an " emergency" facility for either my husband or I, or our dog and will be unable to. (In which we had to take the dog once when traveling in Nova Scotia).
Also we once had an engine problem ..in our previous motor home, and had to leave it at a freight liner service center and drive 1100 miles home in our toad.
But all depends our you personally.
It is not hard to tow, or hook up. Some say it makes no difference in mileage towing or not. Not sure.
If you are going not too far, staying for 2 days and coming home that's one thing, but if you are traveling for weeks or months at a time you could rent a car occasionally if you want to tour somewhere and definitely stop at walmarts without a problem for supplies.
Just depends on what you want to do.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Marty and Sue. We are leaning towards not taking a toad, but we do plan to be away from home for several months. Renting a local car seems like a good idea.

Rod
Old 10-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #8

Another thought Rod...if you are "planning" a sightseeing adventure, for instance Mt. Rushmore, either call ahead or check out their web site and see if there's availability for RV parking. Many places have bus parking areas and your Breeze, whether 28 or 32 will fit without a problem.
When we were traveling up thru Maine to Nova Scotia last year, we went to Campobello Island, on the way to our next campground. Parked the motor home, and toured for a few hours before heading up North.
My SIL did that too traveling thru Memphis..called ahead to Grace Land, where they told them to park, and they had no trouble with their 36 ft. Moho. Spent the day then headed off to their next place.
Sounds like you will have a blast..what a great way to see the U.S.!
Old 10-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodesq View Post
The Breeze does not have a engine or exhaust brake & the air compressor that feeds the air brakes & suspension is belt driven rather than powered directly by the diesel engine via the gear powered accessory drive like all Cummins & Cat diesels for xtra reliability.
MONGO MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:24 PM   #10

You will be happier with the 32 foot model. I really do not believe 4 feet will make a difference in mileage. I think if you can drive about 60 and if you can safely draft you will get the best mileage. In an email I received today to tranny can be retuned to help you brake. This must be done at Alison. Some of the issues about the handling are due to tire pressure issues. You will have to see what is best for you and check the sidewall ratings. I would prefer 5 pounds over then under. I should have more information when we come back from the Pomona RV show.
Mrpictureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:39 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
My first trip was to a FMCA rally in Hutchinson, KS from Fort Worth, Tx. Across the state of OK 68 MPH #1800 RPM on cruise control ~ 14.1 mpg. Coming home a 20+ mph headwind and got from 13.8 to 14.1 mpg. same speed and rpm.
TXUSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:40 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I too had a Winnebago View Spinter until last month.
TXUSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXUSGUY View Post
I too had a Winnebago View Spinter until last month.
I sold my 2011 Navion 2 weeks ago to buy a new 32BR. I loved that MH but just not enough room for extended stays.

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QBH
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpictureman
You will be happier with the 32 foot model. I really do not believe 4 feet will make a difference in mileage. I think if you can drive about 60 and if you can safely draft you will get the best mileage. In an email I received today to tranny can be retuned to help you brake. This must be done at Alison. Some of the issues about the handling are due to tire pressure issues. You will have to see what is best for you and check the sidewall ratings. I would prefer 5 pounds over then under. I should have more information when we come back from the Pomona RV show.
Can you tell me more about the email and the tranny info? I just had a mountain driving experience, and without an exhaust brake or transmission retarder, it was "interesting."
padre153 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin