RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Allegro Open Road 35 QBA

Hi everyone!!! I'm brand new to this forum and I would like to hear your opinions on the Allegro 35 QBA (Open Road bunkhouse model). It seems that the dealers can't keep these in stock. Are they flying off the "shelves"? What do you like about it? Are there things you think need improving? I'm considering this unit in the future. I'd love to hear your opinions. Thank you in advance for your information.

Iggyval is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggyval View Post
Hi everyone!!! I'm brand new to this forum and I would like to hear your opinions on the Allegro 35 QBA (Open Road bunkhouse model). It seems that the dealers can't keep these in stock. Are they flying off the "shelves"? What do you like about it? Are there things you think need improving? I'm considering this unit in the future. I'd love to hear your opinions. Thank you in advance for your information.

What is it YOU like about the QBA?
TIFFINS ARE GREAT!

TXUSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:56 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We have owned our 35QBA since ordering/delivery in 2012. We love the floor plan. The fit and finish is excellent. Basement storage is awesome and abundant. We have done 2 lengthy trips some far, 7000 kms to Newfoundland in 2012 and 15000 kms to Alaska this summer. Aside from 2 days of cross and head winds, handling was very good. The only negative for us was that ours came on a 22000# chassis. A month after our build, Ford changed to a 24000# chassis. Would have loved the extra carrying capacity.
Kaz27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the 2 replies so far. I was reading about the Tiffin Allegro 36LA and there seems to be lots of problems with it right out of the factory. This is what I'm worried about. I don't want to have to drive it to the factory for work, that would be thousands of miles. I want a rig that is ready to go, no problems (does that exist in RVs?). So, if you have problems with your 35QBA, I want to hear about them!!! I'm drawn to Tiffin because of their quality, but as I dig deeper, it seems that they may have some of the issues of lesser quality units by other companies. I know there are warranties with new rigs, but trips to the factory would put me over the edge.
Iggyval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #5

Try to find a unit that is a couple of yrs old with low mileage and check it out yourself before you sign a contract. If it has had a problem previous owner probably had them fixed. A lot of time RV'ers don't know when to stop RVing and their age and health will make them stop, when they have just bought something they can't use. Dave
allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:20 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a 2013 QBA that we bought new July 2013. We have put 18000 miles on it and love it. We have had a few problems but nothing that required a trip to the dealer for service. We did have to go to the Cummings/ Onan dealer to have an oil leak fixed. I did not want try to fix it myself for fear I would void the warranty. There was a loose oil plug they removed and retightened. I got a free oil change out of the deal.
The cargo carrying space is huge and the coach rides and handles great. Mileage stays around 7.5 mpg. There were a lot of little minor things that should have never left the factory or dealer but most were easily corrected.The fit and finish inside is good. I did a couple mods that made life easier for us. One flaw in the design was two water pump switches (one in the kitchen and one in the bath) and no pump on light. One of the mods I did was to add a pump on light at each location.
Overall were are very pleased with the QBA.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Recently traded in our 2009 35QBA FRED (Front Engine Diesel). This was a great floor plan and the general quality of Tiffin is very good. Plus, they stand behind their product like no other manufacturer. Almost all new coaches have a variety of issues to be addressed after delivery. It's the nature of the beast. Again a 1-2 year old unit would have many of the kinks worked out and somebody else paid that upfront depreciation. We bought our 2009 when it was only 18 months old,

The 35QBA is one of the best family-oriented floor plans...... IMHO.
ctaurie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #8

35 qba

It is a great family unit...just slept 8 in ours. We have a 2013 that had several problems from the factory. The worst was the kitchen sink drain hose pulled out of the gray water tank when the slide went out. Quite the mess...also the propane regulator was faulty and they put the wrong slider door on the rear bedroom.. it blocked the heat register when closed. The bathroom faucet had to be changed (leaked). These problems have been fixed.
The storage is excellent and we have no slide leaks and they work smooth. The TV setup takes some getting used to. The four slides makes for a lot of room in a 35ft coach. Most people think it is a diesel pusher because of the four slides. The Ford V10 along with the 5 Speed automatic gets the job done at about 8MPG...pulling a toad. Ours is on the 24k chassis
ersim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:56 PM   #9

DA Brooks.. Where did you buy the PUMP ON switches? I have the same complaint.
tomclaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:37 PM   #10

I'm looking at this unit myself but was concerned with the lack of pantry in the kitchen. Can any of you QBA owners comment on this?

This unit is for families yet this unit gets a smaller fridge and no pantry. Other than these two quibbles, this unit is at my top ranking.

Thanks,
Steve
Beaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:12 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
The fridge is a little small for a family so it takes a little planning. We carry most of our drinks like juice, sodas and the like in a small cooler in the first compartment by the door. Ther is ample food storage in the cabinets above and below the mid TV. The only problem with that area you can't get to it unless the main slide is out. I added a shelf and sliding drawer under the sink,because pot and pan storage was limited. to make more room there turned the plumbing back and put the trap behind the wall.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:17 AM   #12

We've had our QBA for almost a year. We've had a bunch of small problems that our dealer has taken care of. We have a great dealership to work with. They take excellent care of their customers. Find a deal you trust and one who stands up for thei customers.
That said, the QBA really meets our needs. The bunks are great for grand kids. If we don't have them with us, the bunks are great storage for our birdwatching gear and photography gear. We don't full time so we've had no storage issues for month long trips. My DW does miss the pantry we had in our previous coach, but has adapted. We use the cabinets above the table and sofa for almost all of our kitchen storage. Well organized bins keep like items together.
The coach drives fine. We have the 24,000 lb. chassis. We will start towing on our next trip.
All in all, we're very pleased with the coach. Work with a dealer you trust.
BillL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:23 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggyval View Post
Thanks for the 2 replies so far. I was reading about the Tiffin Allegro 36LA and there seems to be lots of problems with it right out of the factory. This is what I'm worried about. I don't want to have to drive it to the factory for work, that would be thousands of miles. I want a rig that is ready to go, no problems (does that exist in RVs?). So, if you have problems with your 35QBA, I want to hear about them!!! I'm drawn to Tiffin because of their quality, but as I dig deeper, it seems that they may have some of the issues of lesser quality units by other companies. I know there are warranties with new rigs, but trips to the factory would put me over the edge.
We picked up our 2015 36LA last month & only had 2 problems with it. Both were fixed in a couple of hours by non-Tiffin RV service techs. We really love the 36LA with the 2 toilets, and the comfortable couch. The slide out "L" couch makes the living room very usable with the fireplace & TV in a convenient location.

Regarding quality, with at least one of the stories on the forum, it was finally revealed the problems did not originate with Tiffin & had nothing to do with construction.

The QBA versus the 36LA seems to come down to just how often you'll need the bunkbeds.

Whichever coach you get, I know you'll love it. We can't wait to get back out on the road with ours.

Shopping is part of the fun!

Let everyone know what you get.

Happy camping.

Dave
Old 11-22-2014, 07:29 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
In our search, finding a 36LA in the color we wanted was not easy either. We went 800 miles from home to finally get the one we wanted.

Regarding what the dealers say, even if they have 10 of the units you're wanting to buy, they are "flying off the shelves & you better buy today!"

Tags
tiffin