Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #15

First, excuse my ignorance, but what is an RED? Out of the RVing life for 7 years, but thinking of joining again. (Looking for a used Lazy Daze). BTW we've done RV tent camping
(an Apple), Bounder MH with twin rear beds, Winnebago Adventurer (1999) and Newmar Dutch Star (2002). Going back to simple at ages 74 & 75)!
Swaff43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2017, 03:13 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaff43 View Post
First, excuse my ignorance, but what is an RED? Out of the RVing life for 7 years, but thinking of joining again. (Looking for a used Lazy Daze). BTW we've done RV tent camping
(an Apple), Bounder MH with twin rear beds, Winnebago Adventurer (1999) and Newmar Dutch Star (2002). Going back to simple at ages 74 & 75)!
Tiffin Allegro RED = Rear Engine Diesel. Its one of their entry level diesels, kind of the brother to the Allegro Open Road gasser. They are similarly appointed and furnished.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarv View Post
2018 literature lists residential refrigerator as an option
Ooh thanks will double check that. From the dealer I was given the 2017 lit.
Hoosierfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:04 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarv View Post
2018 literature lists residential refrigerator as an option

Just checked the 2018 literature, RR is still NOT available on the QBA (bunk model)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiffin RR.PNG
Views:	167
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	174339  
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:21 PM   #19

Tiffin vs Vantana LE

Just made the same decision not hours ago. Not the same models but Tiffin RED to Vantana LE. It was close, but there was a deal-breaker with the Vantana LE. The captains chairs, driver and passenger, are awful. The armrests are not adjustable, the bottom cushions are too short, and I never could adjust the seats to be comfortable. That sealed it. You'll spend a lot of time in those seats both moving and sitting still, so make sure they work for you. And Newmar said they could not be swapped for the regular Vantana seats. Deal lost.

BTW, the Tiffin has the bigger engine withat the heavier transmission and greater towing capacity, if that matters.

Niel Powers
Kerrville, TX
TexasSprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:59 AM   #20

True re engine , LE shorter coaches have the 340 and 2500 trans. Larger coaches have the 360/ 3000 trans.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:46 AM   #21

Thanks everyone -- the decision was kind of made for us. We were leaning strongly towards the Ventana Le because of the comfort Drive and insulation (we will be winter camping bc we ski so insulatio is huge!).

The Tiffin dealer we visited twice only has a Phaeton on his lot but has REDs at his sister dealerships (which are a days drive for us -- not practical w 2 kids). He won't get a RED over for us to test drive without us putting down a deposit on an order for one!! um, $10,000 that we could lose if we decided to go w a Newmar if we didn't like how the Tiffin drove!? Not willing to do that....that's rediculous!

I guess sometimes fate intervenes and shoves you in the right direction! Thanks again for all your help!
Hoosierfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:51 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierfans View Post
Thanks everyone -- the decision was kind of made for us. We were leaning strongly towards the Ventana Le because of the comfort Drive and insulation (we will be winter camping bc we ski so insulatio is huge!).

I guess sometimes fate intervenes and shoves you in the right direction! Thanks again for all your help!
You made the right decision. We've full-timed in a Phaeton for over a year. We should have considered insulation from the start.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
We had a 38QRA RED for two years and it was a great coach. The QBA is basically the same body with the bunk beds and single bath. Pay attention to the storage cabinets in the Newmar slides. The cut down space in the cabinets is one reason we went with a Tiffin and have never regretted it.
Mind sharing re the handling issues?
Mark71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:28 PM   #24

New to this forum and just starting the education process myself. If all things being equal, Comfort Drive could be the game changer. At least you owe yourself a test drive to feel the difference
Old 11-29-2017, 09:56 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
True re engine , LE shorter coaches have the 340 and 2500 trans. Larger coaches have the 360/ 3000 trans.
Or you need to go up to the Ventana.
Our "new to us" 2013 Ventana 3533 has the ISB360 and Allison 3000.
It seems like a great match for a MH that size &wt.
Especially pleased w the CD
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:40 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
To continue the discussion even though the OP has moved on so to speak. We have a 16 QBA, 360/3000. We put about 13,000 miles on it in teh 15 months we've owned it and are about 98% pleased. I have a few issues that will be addressed. all minor.

As for the RV vs RR frig, we have an RV unit, we had them in the last two coaches covering 11 years of ownership. No issues. And I like that I have a lot less need to be plugged in or to run the genny.
JimN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:03 PM   #27

We just traded off our 2013 Tiffin 38QBA for a new Dutch Star, I know they are not comparable units. For the most part we were happy with our Tiffin, our two biggest issues:
1. Crack in the sidewall where the bedroom slide was. Tiffin told me their 5 year fiberglass shell warranty was for delimitation only not cracks....$3000 repair bill later and the repair was cosmetic only didn't fix the structural issue that lead to the crack in the first place.
2. Driving in cross winds would toss our coach all over the road.

After much research decided to test drive a Dutch Star and a Renegade Super C. Both handled great but found the interior of the Dutch Star to be more luxurious and way more basement storage.

just my two cents
Mike
Kimik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:38 PM   #28

Mike
Interesting. I think you will be pleased.
We tried to work w Tiffin re furniture in a RED but could not get dealer or factory to provide any satisfactory solutions.
Found a used Newmar Ventana and are very happy.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allegro, newmar, tiffin, vent, ventana