Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2017, 07:19 PM   #1

Tiffin Allegro TV Antenna Question

Hi, All. New to this forum and looking for information. We recently purchased a 2012 Tiffin Allegro 36LA. We purchased it about 600 miles away and drove it home. It is in really good shape. Unfortunately the previous owners did not leave the documentation package, so we are slowly building our own library. We still have not had an opportunity to test the washer/dryer or the satellite dish. So my first question is about television reception. In my past campers there was a roof antenna, but apparently not on this one. I'm not yet ready to activate with Dish/DirectTV. Is there on option to pick up local TV stations without a satellite box?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #2

Have you actually been up on the roof to verify there is no antennae?

If there is none.....here’s some options for over the air (OTA) television antennaes, but you’ll have to run coax from them to the rear of the TVs your trying to connect too.

Winegard Digital TV Antennas, HDTV Antennas

kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:52 PM   #3

There is a dome satellite dish, but no receiver. No other antenna is obvious. I do plan to go the Dish Network route when I begin full timing next year. But until then am hoping to be able to pick up local TV stations.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:21 PM   #4

Try 'rabbit ears' type antenna....for locals
Old 10-09-2017, 06:25 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
There should be a round saucer type antenna on the roof. I believe in 2012 Tiffin installed Ministate 360 antennas.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:53 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you are absolutely sure you have no OTA antenna or roof coax cable for the missing antenna I would buy a amplified antenna like those sold at Walmart for OTA TV. The make some that attach to a window. The window below your bedroom TV would be perfect for one. They are reasonable and do not require you to install any coax cable from new roof antenna to inside the RV. My old rotating RV antenna is now being used for CBS OTA TV viewing at home. Directv and CBS are in a contract fight so we don't get satellite cbs in central Ohio. This is what my old antenna looked like on my 2014 36LA. It's between the A/C units.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150727_20_01_05_Pro.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	179283  
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:33 PM   #7

The main thing is make sure you get a digital antenna . All TV stations now must broadcast in HD. I have purchased a digital antenna from Walmart. it was small. I have used this at home for tvs in the other bedrooms. I am in the Houston area and get plenty channels. You might get a pvc pole and attach the antenna to it so when your at camp you can hoist it up higher. Remember , theirs always a way to make do.
Good Luck and happy trails, Gary
Old 10-11-2017, 06:57 PM   #8

Digital ant. thing is a scam....lots of past posts about that....
Old 10-11-2017, 07:16 PM   #9

Did the same thing as Flywithcoop, got digital HD antenna and attached it to rotating antenna as Penn State was only broadcasting on ABC.

Thing is, digital antenna will not work through old splitters in the coach, "can not get higher into digital frequency". So I had to run a direct coax from antenna to back of TV. Bam, worked fine, and viewed the game.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:15 PM   #10

Wow there is a revelation of legacy that needs to be updated, splitters are cheap.Tiffin, buy them by the pallet and hand them out like candy.

It all goes back to the wiring harness and how fast can the entire rig of splitters be replaced. It helps everything from remote speed, to wifi, to any non-hardwired appliance in speed of interaction.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:43 AM   #11

If you have round flat thing on roof you have the ota antenna. Check that the amp is turned on above passenger seat in cabinet. Should see the led light if it is on. Make sure you scan for channels in setup on over the air antenna setting.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #12

Thanks for the feedback. I'll head back up on the roof this weekend and double check for the round antennal. Right now I'm looking for a short term solution. Next year I'll activate Dish for the existing satellite dish when I begin full timing it.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:38 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnav52 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'll head back up on the roof this weekend and double check for the round antennal. Right now I'm looking for a short term solution. Next year I'll activate Dish for the existing satellite dish when I begin full timing it.
Here's a tip. I finally got around to activating my Tiffin supplied winegard dish. I got a Directv package for my house and added the Rv directv box to the account for only $7 a month. Very reasonable and it works great. Some people don't like the fact that all you can get with directv is a standard definition signal no High def. I am hoping they will fix this in the near future. Standard def is better then nothing when you are out in the boonies and it doesn't cost $50 a month.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnav52 View Post

Unless the previous owner removed the OTA, you are good to go. You should have a powered antennacraft ministate 360. Look in the overhead cabinet above the drivers seat and find the wired antenna control. Then, as you would in any other RV, mak sure you've turned on the power to the antenna. Tiny button on a wall plate inside the overhead cabinet above the passenger seat.

Tags
allegro, antenna, tiffin