Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2007, 06:41 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
We currently have a 2007 Jayco Melbourne class C motor home with a Ford engine and are thinking of going to a 2008 Tiffin Allegro 32 BA class A motor home with either a Workhorse chassis or the new front end diesel motor.

With all the wonderful experience on this forum, I would really appreciate your opinions, comments, recommendations and/or suggestions on the quality of the Tiffin products and on these two engines. Thank you so much!
KitKat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2007, 06:41 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
We currently have a 2007 Jayco Melbourne class C motor home with a Ford engine and are thinking of going to a 2008 Tiffin Allegro 32 BA class A motor home with either a Workhorse chassis or the new front end diesel motor.

With all the wonderful experience on this forum, I would really appreciate your opinions, comments, recommendations and/or suggestions on the quality of the Tiffin products and on these two engines. Thank you so much!
Old 10-08-2007, 01:08 PM   #3
paz

KitKat, welcome to iRV2.com.

We have had our Allegro Bay for over 2 years. We full-time and have about 26k relatively trouble-free miles on the motorhome. We can't speak highly enough for the Tiffin products. Tiffin has an excellent reputation for customer service; but fortunately, we have never needed to test it.

Our motorhome is on a Workhorse W24 chassis. We are happy with our Workhorse; but if buying again, I might consider a FRED because of the higher cargo carrying capacity (our Workhorse W24 has a GVWR of 24,000 lb while the FRED is 26,000 lb. From the little bit I have heard, Tiffin owners are happy with the FRED. When we visited the factory last year, about half the Bays were being built on FREDs.

Best wishes in your search. PM me if you have any specific questions about Tiffin.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:53 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we bought our Allegro, I drove the Ford and Workhorse.

Last year, I had an opportunity to drive the Fred.

IMHO, both the Workhorse and the Fred had nice rides.

Drive the same MH with different chassis to suit yourself which you prefer. That will help you make your own choice regarding a preference.

12k miles fulltiming in our Allegro, went to factory for minor warranty work. We feel we made a good decision regarding Tiffin, dealership and the Allegro. It has operated flawlessly. The 6 speed Allison is a gem.

It is fun to drive.

Good Luck
SideRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:07 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Paz;

You W24 is in truth 24,500#.

Capacities
Gross Axle Weight Rating – Front 9,000 lb.
Gross Axle Weight Rating – Rear 15,500 lb.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:53 AM   #6
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
Paz;

You W24 is in truth 24,500#.

Capacities
Gross Axle Weight Rating – Front 9,000 lb.
Gross Axle Weight Rating – Rear 15,500 lb.

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I respectfully disagree. The axles are rated for a total of 24,500 lb, but the chassis is only rated for 24,000lb. In other words, I can overload the chassis without overloading the axles. If I put 9,000 lb on the front axle, I can only put 15,000 lb on the rear without overloading the chassis. Conversely, if I put 15,500 lb on the rear, I can only put 8,500 lb on the front. The extra 500 lb axle capacity gives me flexibility of where I can put the weight, but not in the maximum amount of weight I can have. In reality, I doubt if the extra 500 lb would make much of a difference and I know I'm splitting hairs; but my weight sticker says 24,000 lb GVWR, not 24,500.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:37 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The 32BA is a nice motorhome. It comes on either the Ford 20,500 lb GVW chassis, the Workhorse 20,700 lb chassis (W20) or the FRED 24,000 lbs GVW chassis. The Cummins ISB as used in the 2008 Allegro is different from the one in the Allegro Bay. They are both the new 6.7 liter engines but the Allegro gets a 300 HP model with 620 ft-lbs of torque whereas the more upscale Allegro Bay gets the 340 HP and 650 ft-lb version of that engine and it's dropped into a 26,000 lb GVW chassis. Many RVers don't know there is a difference between the two and wonder why they have 300 HP instead of 340. Still, they are both good chassis and the lighter Allegro doesn't need the extra power that the Bay does.

The 32BA was a very popular floorplan but the 34TGA is simply blowing it away and the majority of Allegros sold are now the 34TGA. It has a great floorplan and is a triple slide unit so it's very roomy for something only 2' longer than the 32BA. My brother-in-law just bought one on a Ford chassis and they really like it. Also, with the 34TGA you get heavbier chassis. Either the Ford or Workhorse are both 22,000 lbs GVW and the FRED remains the same at 24,000 lbs.

If you want more specs on the FRED chassis check out the chassis specific spec sheet in the RV Tech Library at www.rvtechlibrary.com/chassis/MC-2008_A.pdf for more details.

While the FRED has more going for it than the gassers, it also costs more. I'd say that the 34TGA is pretty much evenly divided sales wise between the 3 chassis. And every owner I talk to really likes their coach and chassis so I guess you won't go wrong with any one of those choices. If you want to look at the current Tiffin price list for the Allegro line I have it posted on my website at www.rvcruzer.com/2008AllegroPrices.pdf. That'll show you the differences between the various chassis and floorplans. Keep in mind that these are list prices and most Allegros that I've seen sold generally run about 20-25% off of those prices. If you want any more specifics feel free to send me a Private Message and I'll tell you what I can.

As to quality of the Tiffin product - excellent. We're on our second Allegro Bus now and have been very pleased with the quality, performance, and bang for the buck with Tiffin products. Ask any member of the www.tiffinrvnetwork.com forum and you'll pretty much hear the same.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:54 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Thank you all so much for this great information. There is lots to learn as we explore this new and exciting RV lifestyle. We just do short trips right now but who knows where this may lead. Thanks again!
Old 10-10-2007, 02:56 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
KitKat2;
We own a 2004 Allegro 32BA and it is a very good motorhome with a nice floor plan. We've lived in it for up to 6 or 8 weeks at a time during some of our trips. But, I couldn't agree with Cruzer more, the 34 TGA is a superior floor plan regardless of the chassis or power you might choose. Especially the shower, where the TGA has a corner shower and my 32BA has a smaller one that is difficult to shower in sometimes. I would be hard pressed to purchase any other brand than a Tiffin motorhome.
Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:52 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I think Mark has covered just about everything...one main thing I must say is drive the different chassis, and make your decision. And then before a purchase I reccomend sitting on the John, and going in the shower to make sure you are comfortable, hey this is your home, you want to make sure you will be comfortable.

Marks site has a tremendous amount of information on it, take your time going through it, al in all I beleive Tiffin puts out a fantastic produst, and their customer support cant be beat.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:16 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a 2003 30DA on W20 chassis. If I were to buy a new coach today it would be a 32BA Fred.

What would be real nice would be a 30-32 ft coach made on a UFO chassis.

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:58 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What would be real nice would be a 30-32 ft coach made on a UFO chassis. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well George, you just may get your wish....someday. Word on the street is that WCC is now offering the OEMs a 22,000 GVW version of the UFO (gas) chassis.

Unfortunately, Tiffin has not yet seen fit to use the UFO, but there are a "bunch" of us hoping they will start building on it in the future. Personally, I'd love to have an Allegro Bay built on a UFO. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote