Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2017, 09:14 PM   #57

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzani View Post
I have to agree with Grosman about the dealers. We ended up purchasing at the dealership that was closest to us because they had the best price and I didn't want to have to drive 4 hours to the next closest dealer for service. We are on the West coast so will probably never make a pilgrimage to Red Bay for service. That means we are at the mercy of our dealer for warranty service and our dealer has horrible reviews. They are so bad I'm left scratching my head as to why Tiffin continues to do business with them.

It sure seems like Tiffin should take a good long look at who sales their coaches and maybe make a switch in any given geographical area if they find the dealers service isn't in line with their reputation at least somewhat. There are plenty of dealerships near us who seem like they would be a better fit for a brand like Tiffin. I know of another major brand whose reputation is based on quality (not RVs) and they are known for pulling their dealers affiliation when they don't provide the experience and service that people have come to expect. Considering the sales volume and net profit that I am sure selling Tiffins brings, you would think that would give Tiffin some serious leverage with these underperforming dealerships.

Maybe it's time for Tiffin to clean house and switch from some of these really bad dealerships. Then they can continue to focus on training the good dealerships to a better service level that would be in line with their reputation.
Tiffin has setup some authorized Tiffin service providers on the west coast that can do Tiffin warranty work. For the most part these are not dealerships, but RV repair facilities.

I see you're in Bakersfield, so I would suggest you contact the southwest Tiffin service rep, Jim Smith, Ph: (951) 966-8641 Email: jim4tiffin@hotmail.com.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2017, 05:51 AM   #58

I am trying to find a reputable service center to replace a slideout motor in my 2017 RED. A number of Tiffin dealers have said they would not do the work since I didn't buy the coach from them. Many independent service centers are booked out 2 months or don't want to do the work either. I don't understand how Tiffin can allow their dealers no decline to do warranty work.
bsedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:53 AM   #59

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsedor View Post
I am trying to find a reputable service center to replace a slideout motor in my 2017 RED. A number of Tiffin dealers have said they would not do the work since I didn't buy the coach from them. Many independent service centers are booked out 2 months or don't want to do the work either. I don't understand how Tiffin can allow their dealers no decline to do warranty work.
You could talk with Tiffin service, tell them your problem, and maybe get repair instructions then do the repair yourself or may call a RV repair service in your area to follow the Tiffin instructions. Tiffin will send you a new slide motor at no cost to you as it is a warranty item.

Terrible that dealers won't support you and it really sux that a 2017 slide motor would fail. Make sure you have checked all the things that must be preformed before the slide will work. Ignition switch on, Jacks down, emergency brake set, etc. Look for tripped circuit breaker or blown fuse.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:55 PM   #60

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Rzani Send a message via AIM to Rzani Send a message via Yahoo to Rzani Send a message via Skype™ to Rzani
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Tiffin has setup some authorized Tiffin service providers on the west coast that can do Tiffin warranty work. For the most part these are not dealerships, but RV repair facilities.

I see you're in Bakersfield, so I would suggest you contact the southwest Tiffin service rep, Jim Smith, Ph: (951) 966-8641 Email: jim4tiffin@hotmail.com.
Thanks for the heads up BobGed. I'll reach out to Jim if/when we have issues. We've been very fortunate so far. Look at the post one or two above this one...a 2017 with a bad slide motor? Yikes. That wouldn't be a lot of fun.
Rzani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #61

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Rzani Send a message via AIM to Rzani Send a message via Yahoo to Rzani Send a message via Skype™ to Rzani
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsedor View Post
Wow. That's horrible. Sorry you are having to deal with that. We've been fortunate that we've had no issues thus far on our 2017 Bus. Then again, we've only used her 3 times and also quite a bit at the house testing and setting up. We are taking our longest trip to date next week so hopefully our luck holds! Hope you find some good service for your issue soon and I really hope neither one of us have to become RV repairmen because of having to fix our rigs ourselves!
Rzani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:47 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithcoop View Post
You could talk with Tiffin service, tell them your problem, and maybe get repair instructions then do the repair yourself or may call a RV repair service in your area to follow the Tiffin instructions. Tiffin will send you a new slide motor at no cost to you as it is a warranty item.

Terrible that dealers won't support you and it really sux that a 2017 slide motor would fail. Make sure you have checked all the things that must be preformed before the slide will work. Ignition switch on, Jacks down, emergency brake set, etc. Look for tripped circuit breaker or blown fuse.
Thanks. I will probably end up doing this but it just doesn't seem that I should have to do the work myself since I've only had the coach 3 months! Tiffin should pay me to fix it!

A wire pulled out of the motor and Lippert says it needs to be replacedClick image for larger version

Name:	20170411_132520.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	158558
bsedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #63

Tiffin Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNavyGuy View Post
Betr2Trvl, appreciate your effort at a nice tone for your post. I think there is much merit to your comments. However, while I do not doubt that some of the folks - but not all - who travel to Red Bay for service are taking advantage, to presume that the campground is always clogged only with moochers is a bit insulting.

For those of us who intentionally bought a older coach, perhaps because we didn't want to sell the house to be able to afford a new one, or just like the floor plans and simplicity of the older rigs, Red Bay can be a lifesaver. See my earlier posts for how that worked out for us. There was no where else I could have taken our coach to get it properly repaired like they did at the Tiffin Service Center. I paid for every bit of work, and happily so given the quality.

Complicating things for me is that if I took my coach to my local Tiffin dealer, who is several hours away, I would need to count the fingers on my hand after shaking hands. No way am I letting them touch my coach. I would need to bring it to Red Bay to fix their 'fixes.' Tiffin's effort to train up their dealers is spot on, but will take time.

Have some people taken advantage of Tiffin's generosity? You bet. However, if Tiffin wants - key word there "wants" - to remain the quality exception in an industry full of mediocrity, this policy change won't help.

People make decisions based on perceptions, and the perception being generated by this change is that Tiffin simply no longer cares as much about its customers, IMHO. And I have heard that from many other others during our time here in Red Bay. Particularly egregious is the "no more than every 60 days" element of the express Bay access.

I'm a huge Tiffin fan and hope they do well, but I don't see this as a good move for them.
I am in agreement with you on Tiffin service. For too long Tiffin has been trying to fix things themselves instead of developing a stronger dealer service center network. I purchased a 2007 Allegro Open Road 32 months ago from the nearest dealer that had a service center (100 miles away). I purchased a 36 month extended warranty. Soon after that Tiffin stopped honoring extended warranties. I have had a lot of bad experiences at my servicing dealer that is 2 hours away. Since Red Bay was about 160 miles away, I thought I could at least pay for repairs if my dealer could not handle them. Now even that is not an option.
I live in a major city with no service within 100 miles. Tiffin allows the local dealer to sell Tiffins, but does not required them to provide service. Its like they want the money for motorhomes, but not the expense or headaches of a service center.
Unlike some people, I believe in reading my manual. In it there are many service issues that recommend attention by a qualified service center. I do not have access to a qualified service center. This is another evidence that the dealer network has not been properly developed.
Does anyone know of qualified service anywhere near Nashville, TN?
MaggieMay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieMay1 View Post
.... I purchased a 2007 Allegro Open Road 32 months ago from the nearest dealer that had a service center (100 miles away). Um, Tiffin has no control over who does or doesn't get to sell a 10 year old coach
I purchased a 36 month extended warranty. Soon after that Tiffin stopped honoring extended warranties. Extended warranties are not sold by the manufacturer (like Tiffin) They are insurance policies underwritten by 3rd parties completely unrelated to the original manufacturer. Any service center then decides whether that entitiy will pay them back for work done. Not Tiffin's fault at all if your warranty company isn't considered a good risk.

It seems like you have a few incorrect ideas about the consumers' role in getting work done on 10 year old products
CptCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:56 PM   #65

The coach was not 10 years old when I purchased it. I never said that Tiffin controls the sale of used coaches. My complaint is that Tiffin is building a network of dealers that cannot do service. My warranty was honored at the dealer that sold it. It is a good warranty that has been honored by others. The problem is that Tiffin has suspended honoring ALL extended warranties (not just mine) and the service center that does honor the extended warranty is not doing their job.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #66

OK, so your coach was 7 years old when you bought it. And is 10 years old now. My point was that you seem to be blaming Tiffin for things that really are not their fault. Have you called Tiffin to tell them that your local service center is doing sub-par work? How do you expect them to know that if you don't tell them? Is that dealer a Tiffin dealer? (as in sells new Tiffin coaches) If it isn't, Tiffin has absolutely no sway in the work they do. Have you called Tiffin and asked them to recommend a service center for you? Bob Tiffin himself is often known to make recommendations for service work. Tiffin made a business decision to not accept extended warranty work after not being paid by the warranty companies too many times. I don't blame them.
When Tiffin makes mistakes (and they do), then call them out. But don't blame them for things that arr beyond their control.
Sorry if that sounds harsh. It is hard to get the whole story here on electronic social media, but it honestly sounds like you have some misunderstandings about manufacturers and used products.
CptCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:31 PM   #67

The good old boys

Bob Tiffin is a "good old boy" and his network of dealers are "his boys". Shame on him for not firing half of them!
gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:59 AM   #68

Wow, That's a lot of rapid fire questions. I was hoping to not have to write a three page history, but here it goes. I have called and written Tiffin about their dealer and poor service. They were no help. Their solution was for me to call Tiffin techs (a very long phone list) on their cell phones for ideas. This dealer is one of the oldest Tiffin dealers in the nation. The owner is a personal friend of Bob Tiffin. The dealer is the one that is suppose to fix the problems with the extended warranty he sold me. This is not happening. I do not expect Tiffin to fix my problem. I do expect them to have some influence with their Service Centers. They do not. I am very well aware of why Tiffin does not do extended warranties (even ones sold by their own dealers). My point is that in the past 3 years since my purchase, Tiffin is separating itself more and more from service issues. And I know why. They have not trained and monitored their Service Centers enough. I am already aware of all of your previous points and I am not looking for a lecture. I am looking for some constructive ideas or support.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:02 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieMay1 View Post
The coach was not 10 years old when I purchased it. I never said that Tiffin controls the sale of used coaches. My complaint is that Tiffin is building a network of dealers that cannot do service. My warranty was honored at the dealer that sold it. It is a good warranty that has been honored by others. The problem is that Tiffin has suspended honoring ALL extended warranties (not just mine) and the service center that does honor the extended warranty is not doing their job.
You are kidding, right? "Extended Warranty" companies make money by: not paying, underpaying, delaying payment. And on top of that, you put the service center in the middle, it bottles up thier work and thier employees trying to negotiate what is or is not covered and what they will, won't, or short pay, and they are the ones that get the short end of the stick every time.

If there is something you think should be covered by the extended warranty company, you go to them, get agreement on what is going to get fixed, pay for the actual work yourself, and get reimbursed (if you are lucky, to one extent or another) directly from them.

The only people that come out ahead are the "extended warranty" companies themselves, and the dealers that sell them; everyone else loses - that's how they make money. Why on earth would anyone provide an after the fact "extended warranty" for something that has been used, abused, and then they have never seen, or inspected, whether it's an RV, home, or car, etc. The only place you should expect to honor one of these "warranties" is the dealer who sold it and pocketed the up front sales profit on it.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:21 AM   #70

I agree whole heartily with your post. I am retired from a company where I was the distributor for several national manufacturers. If I did not properly service my customer, I would lose my franchise. We had regular mandatory training. My brother was both a local service manager as well as one who was promoted to national warranty service manager for the manufacturer. We both are familiar with what is required to maintain a strong dealer service network. It takes a long time to develop a good dealer based service network. I appreciate how hard Tiffin has worked to support customer service at Red Bay, but they will never be able to do it all at Red Bay.
I live in a major market area with no local Service Center. I must drive out of state to a service center that is problematic at best. Also, the Tiffin manual recommends taking your coach to a service center for maintaining certain RV systems. This is not an easy thing to do.

Tags
service, tiffin