Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2014, 06:44 PM   #1

Tiffin fixes?

Just curious in my research I have read about late model (2013) tiffin coaches having fiberglass cracks from flexing( not enough frame members ?) The fix was to cut a slit and cover the slit with rubber trim, has this issue been fixed? Are the owners of these coaches happy with this? I have a deposit ( refundable)on a new coach (not tiffin) but was looking at the tiffin allegro bus, nice looking good features and price point but I would not be happy if the side wall cracked.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2014, 06:58 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Might want to ask Tiffin directly. I haven't heard anything on it.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Here is some reading: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/tiff...ut-151495.html

transferred here post#104 http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/bran...-149807-8.html on the cracking...
Old 02-13-2014, 07:14 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
The crack thread is closed, but I have the same 6" crack in the same place (front of the DS rear slide) in my 38' Allegro RED. Kind of bugs me but if that is the worst problem that I ever have with it......just saying.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
The crack thread is closed, but I have the same 6" crack in the same place (front of the DS rear slide) in my 38' Allegro RED. Kind of bugs me but if that is the worst problem that I ever have with it......just saying.
Would you buy again ? What year? Does it not scare you that your coach is not built heavy enogh?
Old 02-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
It's a 2010 that I bought 2 years ago. I did not notice any crack when I bought it, but it could have been just a hairline at the time.

Yes I would buy a Tiffin again, but I would certainly want to know more about the cracking. I don't think that it is a matter of the vehicle being strong enough. It could come from a multitude of reasons, driving over very uneven ground causing a big twist in the frame, possibly just a stress riser in the gel coat because it does come right from the corner. Like I said it does bug me, but it is not a deal breaker.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:06 PM   #7

I had an 08 Bus that had a similar problem. Fix was to open the crack and cover with the molding. We put an additional 55,000 miles on it before trading it on the 2013 and never had an additional problem. Earlier, Tiffin tried to reinforce the frame and add additional bracing behind the crack area without much success. The open the crack and add molding seemed to be the right fix.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:25 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
The Crack Thread!!!! Funny
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:38 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
[QUOTE=PushedAround;1926394]The crack thread is closed, QUOTE]
Read my post better Larry, the cracking issue goes on the the other link I posted............post#104
Old 02-14-2014, 07:28 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Yeah, I did read your post but it really is a minor part of that thread documenting Rudy's problems, and to pursue that line would take it way off-topic.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #11

Yes Tiffin did have this sidewall cracking issue in certain coach models at the lower corners of the rear slides. This issue was corrected starting in the 2012 model year. Also, unlike some other manufacturers who have also had this problem, Tiffin is repairing the cracks at no cost for a period of 8 years. That's why I bought a Tiffin, when they have an issue they admit it and offer to repair it at their expense.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:55 AM   #12

For us frist time buyers of motorhomes we can become overwhelmed with the decision matrix.

I really like Tiffin's designs and construction detail. We have an order for a 2015 Entegra Anthem on hold pending the availability of a light wood interior(which could be months to a year). We would switch to an Allegro Bus if we could get satisfaction on the following issues:

1.) Has Tiffin fully resolved the legacy quality problems (cracking, wet bay, etc.)?
2.) Has the insulation improved to prevent hot/cold spots on perimeter walls in cabinets
3.) Are the Powerglide chassis issues resolved to prevent excess frame flex -- I just heard from a dealer that the 45LP requires 4 extra weeks lead time because of "frame issue" but the dealer would not elaborate.

We really want to buy Bus in the worst way -- best interior and it has features not available on the comparable Entegra, including a cheerful interior.

But when I challenge dealers about the issues above all I get is Bob Tiffin will stand behind the product and make it right. Wrong answer, I want to hear that the problems are behind them and here's why... I don't want to have to worry about bothering Bob Tiffin and camping in Red Bay for weeks.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #13

I am in the same boat as mechanica , I know I would like the tiffin but dont have weeks to stay in red bay . The biggest issue is I do not want to buy a coach that flexes and cracks justto have a 430k coach with a band aid patch, the chassis and frame should be strong enough to prevent the stress cracks
Old 02-14-2014, 05:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
I am in the same boat as mechanica , I know I would like the tiffin but dont have weeks to stay in red bay . The biggest issue is I do not want to buy a coach that flexes and cracks justto have a 430k coach with a band aid patch, the chassis and frame should be strong enough to prevent the stress cracks
We just returned from spending three weeks getting warranty work done at Lazydays. While there we met two couples that had extensive issues with new Tiffin products. One had taken delivery in mid-December, and had not even been able to leave the facility with their purchase. They had numerous meetings with both Lazydays and Tiffin, and ultimately Tiffin stepped up and offered to build them a new coach. Lazydays has put them up in the campground while the new coach is being built (two months). As I understand it, the second couple had a similar outcome. I only wonder how many others have had major issues without getting this type of resolution. As for me, I am glad I decided against the Tiffin I intended to purchase.

Tags
tiffin