RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Keep in mind we will be at least 8,000 (enclosed trailer, Razr, 3 bikes.)
We have an 07 Allegro Bay FRED and have traveled 6 months per year since new with it. I would not even dream of trying to tow 8,000 pounds with it as, IMo, you would be seriously overweight and the 5000# hitch would be severely over taxed.

We have been extremely happy with our Allegro Bay. The fit and finish is excellent, and mechanically we have had almost no problems. Good luck with your choice.

jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
We enjoy our FRED. The engine noise and heat are not bad at all up front. Pulls our Honda Element no problems. Plenty of power and the exhaust brake is great. The ride is not as good as an air ride suspension, but if you have never had it you would not know what you are missing. We did have air ride and air brakes in our previous DP. We still bought the FRED new.

mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #17

i could be interested in the coach if your not but i guess it's in Florida near you. too far from me to check out. been thinking about getting one.
two slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #18

Not a gas chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
Keep in mind that the FRED chassis is your basic gas chassis with a diesel engine. No air brakes or air suspension.
The FRED chassis is not a "gas chassis" like Ford or Workhorse. True it has no air suspension or brakes but is a Freightliner chassis and they designed for a diesel engine. The front Cummings is lower into the frame than a Ford or workhorse gas engine which gives it a smaller doghouse and is quieter. The heavy duty frame that Freightliner uses is in my opinion better suited for long use than gas motorhomes.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar4simons
I am possibly negotiating on a 2007 Allegro Tiffin with a front-end diesel.

I have only heard of "diesel pushers." Any feedback on the reliability.

Keep in mind we will be at least 8,000 (enclosed trailer, Razr, 3 bikes.)

Thanks
Linda
The towing weight is only 5,000 lbs on this rig.
crslls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Front diesel places extra weight on the steering axle, a plus for handling in wind. Less length of coach behind rear axle is again a plus for handling and less tail swing. No compressor, is a plus to me, less maint. less to go wrong. Front engine cools better, devotes less HP to the cooling process. It is warmer in the drivers compartment a plus in winter time, a minus in summer time, until you stop for the night. Then it's a plus in summer time, you don't really want a hot bed do you? Engine noise is non-existant unless the electric coolant fan is on, then you hear it. This is a configuration that should be compared to a front gas coach, although, in my opinion, it outperforms many small diesel pushers as well. A short pusher has a significant percentage of it's length behind the rear axle, which unloads the front axle and contributes to handling issues. If you find a nice FRED, go drive it and decide for yourself. Lots of coach for the money.
Grn_Mtn_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #21

Tiffin FRED Allegro Bay

We bought our first RV 6 months ago, a 2008 Tiffin Allegro Bay FRED on the Freightliner chassis. We could not be happier. The fit-and-finish is outstanding - Tiffin is known for high quality and great support. The 340hp Cummins has plenty of power, and the noise is not annoying. Glad we have a diesel, and glad it's not over 38-feet long (!!)
Would we prefer a rear-engine diesel? Probably. But now I have a LOT of extra money in the bank to buy fuel and camping fees!
jimheiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimheiner View Post
We bought our first RV 6 months ago, a 2008 Tiffin Allegro Bay FRED on the Freightliner chassis. We could not be happier.......
Congrats on your "new to you" coach and hope you remain happy with it. Just a reminder, but be sure the brake recall is completed by FCCC-its important.

WELCOME to iRV2.com ! We're glad you joined and posted.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:12 AM   #23

Freightliner FL-628 Brake recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Congrats on your "new to you" coach and hope you remain happy with it. Just a reminder, but be sure the brake recall is completed by FCCC-its important.

WELCOME to iRV2.com ! We're glad you joined and posted.
We have an appointment for Monday Jan 28 at a local Freightliner dealer! That dealer was a customer of mine for over 20 years (when I was still working!), so it should be easy and fun!

And iRV2.com is sure a great resource! If not for iRV2.com I would not have known about the recall!
Old 01-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimheiner View Post
We have an appointment for Monday Jan 28 at a local Freightliner dealer! That dealer was a customer of mine for over 20 years (when I was still working!), so it should be easy and fun!

And iRV2.com is sure a great resource! If not for iRV2.com I would not have known about the recall!
While at the FCCC dealer, you may want to ask them what you need to do to become listed as the current owner in the FCCC database. That way you should be contacted directly by FCCC in case of future recalls. "Usually" they have no way of knowing who becomes the second owner unless the second owner notifys them, so they just keeping mailing stuff to the original owner.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I have had my Fred for over 4 years and love it. TrueI wish I had the smoother ride of air shocks but the engine is much quieter than the gas. In 2008 Tiffin made both gassers and Freds for the Alegro Open Road and we test drove both. The Fred won hands down. It has more ccc ( but still only a 5,000 # hitch ) I get about 10 mpg towing my car and running the genny. Great rig that I plan on keeping for few more years. ( 4 years till retirement then a another rig perhaps )
Doing 60 on the highway pulling the toad and the tach sits @ 1650-1700
Dan
Old 01-27-2013, 07:03 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
While at the FCCC dealer, you may want to ask them what you need to do to become listed as the current owner in the FCCC database. That way you should be contacted directly by FCCC in case of future recalls. "Usually" they have no way of knowing who becomes the second owner unless the second owner notifys them, so they just keeping mailing stuff to the original owner.
I made the change direct with Freightliner in Portland, OR when I called them to verify my chassis was included in the campaign.

For future reference for anyone owning a rig built on a Freightliner chassis, the direct phone to F/L Warranty is 1-800-547-0712.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #27

Bought my Allegro Bay Fred 37QDB new in 2008- It has been great and had very few problems- As for the front engine heat and noise, I super insulated the doghouse over the engine and the underneath area of the driver's compartment- This has reduced the noise to a point where you hardly hear the engine, and when the cooling fan comes on it is hardly noticed either- No traces of heat leakage and the drivers area stays cool on trips- I get 10 plus mpg with the 300 HP Cummins diesel engine- The ride is good if you properly inflate the tires based on the weight- I run 110 psi in the front and 95 psi in the rear tires- Almost bought a Phaeton but at the last minute picked the Bay and have no regrets- I believe the Bay is a good bang for the buck, but I would like a new Prevost..........................DannyL
DannyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:59 AM   #28

300 HP Cummins, and not 340 HP ??

Tags
diesel, tiffin