Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #29

Yes, it is the 300HP- It is the same engine as the 340HP, but was de-rated to match the 5 speed Allison transmission- I am not sure if I could make changes easily to increase HP, but it does fine pulling my Jeep- I understand that many with the Allegro Bay Fred have a 300HP and think it is 340HP- You can call Tiffin or Cummins and find out for sure- It was my understanding that the 6 speed transmission will allow for 340HP.........
DannyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
We own a 2008 37QDB and it definitely has the 340hp, 6.7 liter Cummins engine, not the 300hp, 5.9 liter engine. There is much confusion about which engine was installed in the 2008 FRED chassis caused by the fact that the Tiffin brochure for the 2008 FRED lists the 300hp engine. I don’t know if they started with the 300hp and switched to the 340hp as they ordered new chassis or not.

It is quite easy to tell the difference by looking at the color of the engine. If it is black, you have a 300hp, 5.9 liter engine, if it is red, you have the 340hp, 6.7 liter engine. I have confirmed this with a call to Cummins. Just to add to the confusion, Tiffin ordered some of the engines with block heaters and some without. With the engine serial number, Cummins can provide a complete spec sheet on the engine.

After purchase, I replaced all of the insulation in the engine compartment with 2" thick, foil faced, rockwool insulation and replaced all of the rubber gaskets around the access panel. It made a huge difference in noise and heat. In my opinion, the factory installed insulation is not adequate and should be repalced. After the insulation change, the engine is very quiet and even when the cooling fan kicks in, it is not loud. We are very please with the handling and performance. In my opinioin, the FRED is a great balance between diesel features and price. You give up airbags and airbrakes, but you get more CCC that a comparable gas coach and have the benefit of a very effective exhaust brake along with other diesel benefits.

Marty
2 vrdks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #31

Hello Marty and thanks for the info- My engine is red, but I was informed by Tiffin that it is a 300HP. I did not call Cummins which I will probably do. It was my understanding from Allison that the 5 speed was used on the 300HP and the 6 speed was for the 340HP, due to torque issues. I hope it is the 340 as you say............... I insulated the front area as well and the dog house and now it is quite even with the cooling fan on. I would recommend all Fred owners to consider this because the end result is worth it.

I am happy with the coach. The "RED" that has replaced this model is not worth the extra cost in my opinion, so I plan to keep the one I have for a while. I have also been happy with the mpg...........................
Old 02-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #32

Marty, just got off the phone with Cummins and they confirmed that mine is indeed the 340 HP, matched with the 2100 Allison. I have had no power issues and have been pleased with the fuel mileage. My friends have a DP (Monaco) with the same engine and their mileage is much less.

I am happy that I have the 340HP engine. I did not question Tiffin or Allison since they are the experts............................Danny
Old 02-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Danny - glad the information was helpful. I was also told ours was the 300hp when I was negotiating the purchase last September, but my research told me that might not be the case, so I got the VIN number, called Freightliner to get the engine serial number and then called Cummins. Cummins told me about the red vs. black engine color and also sent me the spec sheet for the engine.

The fact that the Tiffin brochure for 2008 list 300hp is the source of much of the confusion. When I originally called Tiffin, that was the reference tool they used to determine the hp. Only the engine serial number and a call to Cummins got it right. I will be keeping the spec sheet from Cummins so that when I sell the coach, I can prove to the buyer that it has the 340hp.

Glad it worked out for you.
Marty
2 vrdks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #34

Hey thanks Marty, I originally talked with Tiffin, then Allison. The transmission folks told me about the engine HP reduction to fit the 2100. I believe they were guessing about this. I researched today and the 2200 also calls for the same HP as the 2100. At any rate I feel confident that I have the 340 HP Cummins engine.

Again thanks for the info and you guys have safe travels..................

Tags
diesel, tiffin