RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2017, 10:25 AM   #1

Tiffin Gas Vs. Diesel?

I am trying to decide between a gas or diesel Tiffin and looking at the 36LA vs. the Phaeton. Any opinions are welcome.

gc241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2017, 10:28 AM   #2

Hands down. Choose the Phaeton. Better built, smoother ride/drive, quieter, more power, better resale.

Trans. Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:35 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
That is a huge difference if you're talking about the same model year when comparing. Even if you're looking at an older Phaeton, diesels have a longer life expectancy than gassers, but they also cost more $$$$ to maintain.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:43 AM   #4

Gas all the way, will save you big money from purchase, cost of operation and maintenance and when you sell it. You'll save from beginning till end!!!
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
That is a huge difference if you're talking about the same model year when comparing. Even if you're looking at an older Phaeton, diesels have a longer life expectancy than gassers, but they also cost more $$$$ to maintain.
I totally agree with this poster. The is NO comparison between a gas and a diesel MH of this size! Yes, it will cost more to maintain due to capacity of oil, filter higher costs, larger, more expensive tires, and on & on. However- the smile on your face each mile you drive the diesel down the road will make every cent spent on the diesel MH well worth it!!!!

PS- I've owned 3 class A diesels, a Gulfstream, Dynasty, and a Allegro Bus, so I'm speaking from 15 years experience driving class A diesel MH's!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:04 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I purchased a 2015 36la with all the bells and whistles. It was a very nice coach and on short trips it was great. I got the chance to ride in a Phaeton and seen all the models at a Tiffin rally. A month later I traded the 36LA and ordered a new 2016 40 QBH Phaeton. As others have said the fit, finish quality and ride are superior. However, all this comes with a larger price tag. If you can afford the Phaeton you won't be sorry.
curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:41 AM   #7

Great opinions. I forgot to mention that I am looking at full timing in one. I am in a 35' Class A 2006 Seabreeze now (gas). Not crazy about the Phaeton's floor plans. Hate watching TV on an angle to begin with.
gc241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:52 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
There is a step in between a gas and a Phaeton, actually 2.

The entry level diesel is a Tiffin Breeze, then there are the Tiffin RED's, then the Tiffin Phaeton's, then the Bus's.

Don't want you NOT choosing a diesel because of the higher Phaeton cost, if there is price sensitivity in your buying decision.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:23 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are probably like the proverbial fly born in the vinegar jar thinking it's the sweetest thing in the world. We've had our 2015 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA for about a month and a half now. We smile every mile down the road. We frown every weekend we're not taking it out somewhere. The floorplan was a major seller for us and it has lived up to our expectations in every way. We are well aware that when we start hitting the grades we'll jealeously wave at the DPs as they charge past knowing that we'll get to our destination eventually and in comfort. Tiffin has done a great job with their sound insulation so that's not a factor now.

I plan to avoid ever driving or riding in a DP for obvious reasons.
oldSarge98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:37 PM   #10

Silly question considering cost difference. Have a 36 LA and we are more than satisfied Drives fine and has plenty of room and storage. Served us well as snowbirds. 4 years into it and maint so far has been 6 30$ oil changes. If you have lots of $$$ sure go for the Phaeton or Allegro bus.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:39 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc241 View Post
Great opinions. I forgot to mention that I am looking at full timing in one. I am in a 35' Class A 2006 Seabreeze now (gas). Not crazy about the Phaeton's floor plans. Hate watching TV on an angle to begin with.
If you like the 36LA floor plan, the Phaeton 40IH is similar with a side wall TV and 1 1/2 baths. Also has a lot more room with 4 slides.
curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc241 View Post

On the 40QBH, if you get the entertainment center/fireplace option the TV is directly across from the sofa. I agree with disliking looking sideways at the TV. I love my 40QBH floorplan!
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:51 PM   #13

I get to drive them all working for an RV dealer and I can honestly say that the Allegro gasser is the best of the bunch. It also has the best sound proofing to keep the engine quiet. Yet it pales when comparing it to any diesel pusher in ride comfort and power.

For me if I was making short trips to camp I'd get the gasser and for long cross country trips it would be the diesel.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:31 PM   #14

As one of the earlier posters suggested, there is the Tiffin RED in between the Open Road gassers and the Phaeton.

If you want a bath and a half, the 38QRA has 4 slides and the extra half bath. However, the TV placement isn't angled for optimum viewing.

You can't beat the design of the Open Road 36LA, IMHO.

DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas, tiffin