RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2018, 05:56 PM   #1

Tiffin motorhome pros and cons.

Looking at purchasing a new to me motorhome. I presently own a 2005 CountryCoach Affinity 770. I would like to replace it with a newer coach preferably 2012 or newer. There are a few things my coach doesnít have and are not practical to add and in some cases canít be added. I am wanting a coach 45í long with 600 Cummins and sleep 4-6. So my question is what do owners of the Tiffin brand like or dislike, what issues have you had to deal with, would you buy another Tiffin product, pros and cons?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2018, 06:42 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piros1 View Post
Looking at purchasing a new to me motorhome. I presently own a 2005 CountryCoach Affinity 770. I would like to replace it with a newer coach preferably 2012 or newer. There are a few things my coach doesn’t have and are not practical to add and in some cases can’t be added. I am wanting a coach 45’ long with 600 Cummins and sleep 4-6. So my question is what do owners of the Tiffin brand like or dislike, what issues have you had to deal with, would you buy another Tiffin product, pros and cons?

What is your reason for leaving your CC?

Nothing to do with Tiffin but everything to do with building a quality coach. Quality control across the board. This ranges from the vendors to the final coach builder. There is little to none from most of the suppliers or manufactures.

If you find a floor plan in Tiffin that you like, go for it. Tiffin, from what I read and folks I know, has a good reputation for fixing their rigs after sold and withing a reasonable length of time. Other manufactures are not rated so nicely. A used Tiffin is probably a good buy.

Winnebago HAD a good reputation at one time. Many of us are happy with our rigs except for build quality. The used market usually has most of these taken care of by the first owner.

I don't care for the floor plans Tiffin offers. If not for that I would have been looking at them when we bought this Meridian used about 6 years ago.

Happy trails,
Rick

Old 08-14-2018, 06:45 PM   #3

tiffin or Newmar,,,,,,heard very good things in relation to build quality and customer service...
Old 08-15-2018, 08:42 AM   #4

That’s pretty much what I have heard about both coach brands. The Newmar is a bit fancier than the Tiffin product but the price generally is too. I have decided on the marks my next coach has to hit and I won’t make exceptions this time as I did with my last one. There are a couple of brands I will stay from based on general reputation. I guess if I was only going for quality and had the money I would go for a Liberty conversion of a Prevost but don’t care for floor plans or finishings on most of them. Not to mention my pocket book isn’t thick enough!LOL
Thanks I would like to hear more responses if other would like to throw their two cents in.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:01 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
To me, what makes Tiffin stand out, is the liberal service policies. Need warranty repairs and you are a zillion miles from a dealer, Tiffin will pay for a mobile mechanic or taking it to another dealer (even this are not a Tiffin dealer). Something you can fix yourself - Tiffin will promptly send you the part.

And the best part, if you are really unhappy, you can call the owner and speak to him directly about what needs to be done to fix your coach.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I might be wrong on this, but I think Tiffin didn't start installing the 600HP until '15 or '16. Outside of that, our experience has been along the lines that most have been reporting. We bought a '14 Phaeton and the current '15 Bus brand new. Both required multiple return trips back to Red Bay to repair QC items that all new-bought coaches seem to be experiencing these days. However, none of those trips cost anything outside of travel expenses. In fact, our Bus came with the older overheating-prone TV HDMI splitters that Tiffin was using during the coach build, and Tiffin replaced them free during our last visit despite the fact that they weren't malfunctioning yet.

Could we have saved some travel money by finding somewhere closer to home and asking Tiffin to foot the bill for the various repairs... don't know, but we chose to return to Red Bay for the peace-of-mind of having the repairs done right the first time. We have been happy enough with Tiffin (we've also had a Thor Hurricane 32A and a Winnebago Visa 35B bought brand new) that we have entertained a final Zephyr upgrade (along with an Entegra Cornerstone) a couple times, but each time has ended with, "why?", we are totally happy with our Bus, and we certainly don't want to go through ironing out the QC issues that all manufactures seem to be having for a third time.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:15 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
My wife and I went thru this process the latter part of last year (2017) and the early months of this year (2018). We looked at Thors, Winnies, Jaycos, a couple of others, and also Tiffin. Once we went inside the Tiffin and spent some time with it, it was in a class by itself. It was more than we wanted to spend, but each time we went out looking, we ended up in a 32SA. The difference in quality was night and day. Big things. Small things. Tiny things. No matter where we looked, the Tiffin was always leading the class. From simple ideas like ducted A/C to keep the noise down, to electrical/USB outlets everywhere, to the fit/finish of the cabinetry, to storage, to things that were always in the right place for the task at hand. After looking for 6 months and trying our best to steer away from the Tiffin due to the cost, we bought a 32SA. There was really no question about buying anything else. We've had it out many times, longest trip about 2,000 miles. Basically no significant flaws. Computer desk that extended when driving (fixed). One shade that would not retract all the way (fixed). One USB outlet that did not work (fixed). That's been it. No major system failures, no appliance failures, no chassis problems, everything I have tried has worked as it is supposed to and usually far better than I expected (IE you want auto genstart, works. TVs + bluray + surround? works. Sofa bed? works. I would have no compunctions recommending one to buy a Tiffin. There might be others as good. But they won't have Thor, Jayco, Winnebago, etc. on them.

Let your eyes, ears and touch do the "talking". Lots of people buy Chevys due to budget. Some buy a cadillac. NOBODY says Chevy is even close to a Caddy however. You have to live within your budget. If it is not a Tiffin budget, so be it. But let that be the reason why you settle for lesser quality. Not by allowing yourself (or most definitely a dealer) to convince you that the Chevy is just as good...
Old 08-16-2018, 07:28 PM   #8

My wife and I started our RV experience 5 years ago and had first an Itasca Navion, then a 2006 Country Coach Allure 34 ft for a year, then ordered our new Tiffin bus at the 2015 Hershey show. Have have very few issues, all minor and now have about 16,000 miles in it. Slept in it for 60 nights in 17 even though we just part time so far. We love the coach and tiffin has been great for warranty stuff we did need. Went to RB once with the coach when wife was working a few days with client Huntsville Missile Defense Agency just to have them take care of a couple of things and go through the plant tour. Would buy another tiffin in a heartbeat but the one we have suits us to a T so far.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:47 AM   #9

Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Our first consideration was the layout. We found we loved the 45LP. But as much as the layout, we were impressed with the materials they used.

A tour of the factory, where they make everything (cabinets, doors, etc), made us even happier with our choice.

We also liked Newmars' and Entegras'.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:18 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Tiffin motorhome pros and cons.

If you are looking for a late model used coach with a 600 HP Cummins, I think you will find more abundant pickings in the Newmar line (3 brands) or in an Entegra Cornerstone. Iím not saying better, just more to choose from.

This is a pretty small slice of the overall market.

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, tiffin