Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2007, 04:55 AM   #1

Hi all Im new to this forum, but not new to RVing. My wife and I recently decided to move to a class A mh from a 5th wheel. After about a months worth of dealer and forum research we decided that the Tiffin Allegro was our choice. Now from what we have found (from rv shows) and have been told, there is about 20 - 30% of "room" in MSRP of all of the other brands we have looked at ie; Fleetwood ,wiinebago , Itasca , georgetown, Thor products etc. Now when we sat down with the salesmen/leach , he shows me #s based on MSRP-- sticker price. After I say to him thats funny , give me your best price , He says we DONT discount Tiffen Products. After sitting there for about 1 1/2 hrs with my kids, And he gives me the take it or leave it line I felt like breakin his nose, but that would be a bad example in front of my kids . My question to all, Is this true about Tiffin Products Or are we getting screwed with?
fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2007, 04:55 AM   #2

Hi all Im new to this forum, but not new to RVing. My wife and I recently decided to move to a class A mh from a 5th wheel. After about a months worth of dealer and forum research we decided that the Tiffin Allegro was our choice. Now from what we have found (from rv shows) and have been told, there is about 20 - 30% of "room" in MSRP of all of the other brands we have looked at ie; Fleetwood ,wiinebago , Itasca , georgetown, Thor products etc. Now when we sat down with the salesmen/leach , he shows me #s based on MSRP-- sticker price. After I say to him thats funny , give me your best price , He says we DONT discount Tiffen Products. After sitting there for about 1 1/2 hrs with my kids, And he gives me the take it or leave it line I felt like breakin his nose, but that would be a bad example in front of my kids . My question to all, Is this true about Tiffin Products Or are we getting screwed with?
Old 11-05-2007, 05:39 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">He says we DONT discount Tiffen Products. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
FUSION: Each dealership is free to sell RV products any way they can. Don't waste your time getting mad and frustrated. In the above quote, I think the emphasis should be on the word "we" and not on "don't". Therefore, just vote with your feet and find a dealer who will make you a deal you can accept.

FWIW, Tiffin is one of the hottest brands going right now. Dealers can pretty much sell them as fast as they arrive, so I think it is unlikely you will find any dealer willing to discount near the 30% you mentioned. Also, many dealers "need" to make a minimum of $x,xxx.00 on EACH unit, regardless of MSRP, and therefore the entry level Allegro product may not be discounted as deeply as a more expensive unit. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:10 AM   #4

Buy it and refuse delivery 3 days later if you want some fun!!
Old 11-05-2007, 06:50 AM   #5

fusion, Don't know in what area you live, but if you want someone who will give you a great deal on an Allegro product, you may want to check with Larry Rice at the Texas Trader located in La Feria TX. The address is P.O. Box 868 La Feria TX 78559 and the phone # 956 797-3000. Larry is a real stand up person who will treat you right.

Good luck, Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:31 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
fusion;
When we bought our Tiffin Allegro at Lazy Days in Florida, we got about 20% off list and Tiffin units were selling just as good four years ago as they are now. There are dealers that will discount, maybe not as much as other brands, but you should not pay anywhere near MSRP.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:41 AM   #7

Thanks edgray. I appreciate the reply, and that is exactly what I intend to do, but I may have to seek one out of state. There is a little more to the anger part. This manager would not give my completed credit app back even though he said it had not been run. Company policy. Say what? I totally agree on the free to sell for whatever they want/ need . I guess my question is geared more towards Tiffin owners and they're experience. By the way the company name rhymes with cabesa in So-Cal.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:51 AM   #8

You may want to contact the CA state consumer affairs division and discuss this issue of their not returning your credit app to you as there's sensitive information on same particularily if it has your social security number. The dealership doesn't sound too ethical based on the information you provided. If all else fails contact the State Attorney General's office.

Best of luck to you, Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:30 AM   #9

They seem to be known for that practice Fusion. I had a similar experience at one of their other locations in Georgia. But in the end after a lot more haggling than there should have been I ended up getting my price on a 2008 36 Phaeton plus their very low % financing.

I think their low interest financing is a crutch they use to lure people in and then try not to discount the coach. They like many car dealers only want to talk "payments" instead of the price of the coach. Feel free to make an offer or as stated go somewhere else.

Kings, Bankston and Sherman all offer fair terms with less haggle if they have what you want.
rotts4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:17 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin is no different than the other brands. While it's true that their sales volume grows every year (they're up close to 25% this year, which industry wide isn't a very good year) you can still obtain favorable discounts from decent dealers. The list of Kings, Bankston, and Sherman are probably the best 3 Tiffin dealers out there. They're all reputable and I presonally bought both of my Tiffins from Kings Campers and found them to be a superb dealership in every sense.

You'll find that discounts vary as to model but 25% is a good average. You'll get a higher percentage on an Allegro Bus and less on the entry level Allegro because there's less dollars to work with there. But 24-26 is a good figure and very realistic.

Note that there are two price lists for Tiffin products - an east coast and west coast. All of the options are the same price but the base price is slightly higher for west coast dealers because the freight is figured into the base price and it costs more to ship them to the west coast. It's not a huge spread. If you want to see the east coast price list I have one posted at www.rvcruzer.com/2008AllegroPrices.pdf. You might have to add maybe about $600 to the base price for west coast.

For what it's worth, a number of members of the www.tiffinrvnetwork.com forum have expressed that they had trouble getting good pricing in California and they wound up going elsewhere. The deals at La Mesa are particularly "off". They bait you with super low interest rates and then try to sell at MSRP to handle the buy down fees they have to pay their lendor. Couple that with low down payments and you'll find that you'll be upside down regarding equity to loan balance and you won't be able to ever afford to get rid of your coach. Stay away from those deals.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:56 AM   #11

Thanks to all for the replies. My only fear of purchasing out of state is taking care of any warranty repair issues. The "people" at La Mesa told us they only service rvs they sell, meaning bought from them , not the brand they sell. So how do warranty issues get handled. Besides LM there is only one other dealer within about 300 miles. Again thank you all for the replies. Forums like this are awesome.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:25 AM   #12

My BIL bought his gas coach from LM. He has had it back (I think) 6-8 times now for repairs. Each time they messed up and I know he would never go back there.

I have had a fairly good time with their parts department but it was only for a few items that I probably could have gotten elsewhere had I done more research.

Each time I have "popped by" to look at inventory it has been a little uncomfortable and they are known for moving inventory that doesn't sell between their other locations to give the "impression" they are selling a lot.

I think when I am ready to upgrade (again?) I will go to one of the more highly recommended dealers on this site, depending on brand, since word of mouth is the best selling tool IMHO.

Good luck.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:46 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fusion:
Thanks to all for the replies. My only fear of purchasing out of state is taking care of any warranty repair issues. The "people" at La Mesa told us they only service rvs they sell, meaning bought from them , not the brand they sell. So how do warranty issues get handled. Besides LM there is only one other dealer within about 300 miles. Again thank you all for the replies. Forums like this are awesome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a note fusion, I purchased my Allegro from La Mesa, and after a lot more haggling than anyone should go thru, I did get about 25% off MSRP of unit.
As for warranty from this dealer, I have only been back once for covered repairs, and had a very bad expierience service wise with them. Allegro motorhomes are pretty well constructed, and thankfully not much warranty was required I purchased from the San Bernardino store.

Dieselclacker
Old 11-05-2007, 05:10 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Some dealers are snotty about service, especially if you did not buy there. But think about it - these are traveling machines. It is quite likley that when you need warranty service you will be away from home anyway. I've had RVs serviced all across the country, includng warranty work. Some dealers welcome all comers and actually go out of their way to help travelers. Others could care less. And some are slow regardless of whether you bought there or not.

In short, I would buy where I could get the best deal and worry about warranty stuff later. Besides, a lot of warranty work doesn't need your coach brand dealer at all - the chassis, engine, tranny, major appliances, etc. are separately warranted anyway. You can get them fixed at any authorized repair service. Some things, like the chassis and drive train you probably will have to take elsewhere since most dealers don't service them anyway.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote