Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2019, 04:40 AM   #1

Tiffin Newbie

Just put a downpayment on a 2010 allegro 35QBA. BIG step up from our 93 Bounder! Been kept well and looks good. 41,000 miles and 340 hours on 5.5 kw gen set. Any one have any advice on what to look for or check on our final run through before taking delivery. Any thoughts on extended warranties? Feel they are mostly useless on cars but not sure about MH. Never had one with slides before. Always had older class C's and A's with no slides.

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Dave, Eloise and Zander
dstewart1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2019, 05:01 AM   #2

I don't have specific advice, but wanted to give you some extra confidence that you can get a great value in the unit you are looking at. We were nervous last year when buying our 2011 34TGA (very similar). We spent 10-12 hours in it during the time we had our deposit down. I turned up only a few small items.

We just returned from an 8k mile trip cross country and into Canada. Not one single trouble, not even a failed light bulb. I'm more impressed with the motorhome than I expected to be!

If buying again, I would be tempted to remove inner trim on things in the ceiling. For instance, removing the inner bubble in the shower and at both ceiling vent fans reveals wood in likely areas for leaks.

Run the generator on full load for over an hour. Many of them behave differently after running for a bit.

Check sway bars. They are notorious for brackets and bushings coming off. My rear was off. No big deal.

Removing the doghouse to inspect the engine bay from above is quick and easy.

Many are now getting an oil analysis, although I did not. Mine had 9k miles on it, I figured it wouldn't offer much value to me.

I believe Tiffins of this vintage to be a sweet spot for value!
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:05 AM   #3

Thanks for the positive reply. Did a bit of investigation before looking and always heard positive things about Tiffin.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:21 PM   #4

Just make sure all systems are fully functional including A/Cs and furnaces. Have the fridge turned on the day before to make sure it is nice and cold. Check that all the slides move out smoothly Never stop the Schwintek slides in mid travel (those are on the passenger side). Check for hydraulic leaks at the rams for the main slide and levelers. Check for any sidewall cracks (right at the corner of the bedroom slide is a well known weak spot). Check closely for any water leaks.
f18sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:20 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nice find! You've got 4 slides there...I'm assuming you've run them all in and out. They are not big so you have that going for you. Tiffin built that floorplan for almost 10 years- it's a nice one. They built on 3 or 4 different chassis- I'll assume yours is a Ford. Fit and finish is generally very good. I'd simply follow the maint. regimen in your Tiffin stuff....and ask for help here too if you need it. Congrats!!
Old 08-26-2019, 07:41 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
any chance you can spend a night or two in the rig before final payment and delivery? Would give you the chance to use all of the functions, write down questions, as well as making sure everything performs as it should.

Very partial to Tiffin for obvious reasons but congrats on the new rig. Cant imagine you will be disappointed.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:03 AM   #7

Thanks for the reply. It is the ford triton. would have liked the chevy workhorse but you cant get everything you want in one package when looking at used or even new sometimes. We do love the layout and the unit was well kept.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2019, 11:13 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstewart1111 View Post
Thanks for the reply. It is the ford triton. would have liked the chevy workhorse but you cant get everything you want in one package when looking at used or even new sometimes. We do love the layout and the unit was well kept.

Thanks
Had workhorse in 2006 Bounder was okay. Very noise when cooling fan came on. My 1999 Dutchstar V10 is much quieter and runs extreally smooth. Likes WH transmition it had less shifting. Ford trans works great once you understand its nature.[emoji6]Click image for larger version

Name:	1016111445.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	258188
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:51 PM   #9

FWIW, I've been more impressed with the Ford chassis than I was lead to believe by reading forums. The engine is smooth and doesn't mind the rpm's at all. I've heard the F53 chassis in other brand motorhomes and there is a nice difference in noise level with the Tiffin.
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:49 PM   #10

Glad to hear the fords are a bit quieter. Have the Chevy P30 and 454 in my bounder and I hear you about the fan. Just the workhorse 8.1 with the Allison transmission is supposed to work really well for towing. But everyone does it with the v10 also so must work fine also.

Thanks for the input
Old 08-28-2019, 08:15 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a 2011 34tga open road. Love it except in crosswinds on hwy. I installed sumo springs,roadmaster sway bars,and blue ox true center to suspension and made a world of difference. no more "white knuckle" stuff! Always have minor issues like everyone else but biggest problems have been hwh hydraulic system which controls the big slide(drivers side) and the leveling jacks. Randomly the slide won't move in or out? can't pinpoint it but with patience and repeated tries...it will move. always bring a stout long prybar and a block for leverage when your rear jacks won't retract. have fun,good luck!

Tags
newbie, tiffin