Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2017, 06:29 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question Tiffin options

Looking for help with feedback on some options Tiffin is offering. If anybody has added the following options please let me know how they are working and if worth the money.

1- Mobileye Collision Avoid System
2- Pre for Solar Panel. (Rumors are that wire gauge not adequate)
3- Optional 145 watt Solar Panel offered in the Allegro Bus
4-Wingard Connect- Wi-Fi Extender

Thank you all, Pete
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2017, 09:43 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
1 - I have the MobilEye in my Navion and love it. It keeps you in your lane, alerts you when you are following too close or closing too fast, looks out for pedestrians, and lowers your high beams.

2 - If you are going to get solar think about how you are going to use it. If only to maintain your batteries, the pre-wire package is probably adequate; if you are going to live off the grid for extended periods of time, you might want to skip it.

3 - Only if you are buying a Bus...

4 - I personally would leave the Winegard Connect off. Wifi in RV parks just doesn't work and is not worth the frustration - data needs are best met by your phone data plan. The more expensive version of it has a 4G antenna and that might be worth it if you are going to be in fringe areas all of time.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:46 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
1 - I have the MobilEye in my Navion and love it. It keeps you in your lane, alerts you when you are following too close or closing too fast, looks out for pedestrians, and lowers your high beams.

2 - If you are going to get solar think about how you are going to use it. If only to maintain your batteries, the pre-wire package is probably adequate; if you are going to live off the grid for extended periods of time, you might want to skip it.

3 - Only if you are buying a Bus...

4 - I personally would leave the Winegard Connect off. Wifi in RV parks just doesn't work and is not worth the frustration - data needs are best met by your phone data plan. The more expensive version of it has a 4G antenna and that might be worth it if you are going to be in fringe areas all of time.
Thank you for your very informative response. Will probably follow all your recommendations
Thanks again, drive safe out there
Old 10-25-2017, 09:13 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I just got a new Bus. I have the MobilEye, too, but my opinion is different. When I drive, I don't wander much. The only time the MobilEye yells at me is during construction zones or when it gets confused. With its default settings, every time I would be passed on the highway and the vehicle pulled back in front of me, it would decide I was too close and would disengage the cruise control. Since it doesn't apply the brakes, I guess its rationale was that it's better to coast into the vehicle in front of me than under power.

Fortunately, I was able to disable it so it only flashes how many seconds of stopping time I have for the vehicle in front of me. I may have driven at night once since I got the new coach so I didn't realize that the high beams are controlled by it, too.

Considering what it cost, I feel like it was a waste of money. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't order it.

The solar pre wiring might be OK if you're thinking of going to solar. For the cost of the solar panel, I'd skip it.

The Winegard connect is way too expensive for what it is. I have a Wifi Ranger system which costs a lot less and it too is overpriced, in my opinion. There is an ethernet cable on the roof that goes to one of the front compartments so you can throw any device on the roof.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:53 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
BTW, the MobilEye can be programmed to do what you want. You can make the adjustments on the device itself or use their app and do it through your smart phone. Look through the manual and you can pick and choose how you want it to respond. My Mobileye is installed in my Navion (Mercedes chassis) and does not interact or turn off my cruise control - it just beeps at you if someone is too close. If they begin to accelerate, it quiets down.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:58 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Manual? Was I supposed to get one? When I asked Tiffin why I didn't get one, they told me they didn't have any.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:11 AM   #7

Just remember the more you ad to a MH the more problems you will have in the future. Just what I've seen and experienced, might not be what someone else has seen. I guess if you like going to Red Bay to have things fixed this won't apply to you. Dave
Old 10-29-2017, 10:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschwarz View Post
There is an ethernet cable on the roof that goes to one of the front compartments so you can throw any device on the roof.
It this really the case? It seems like the more typical case would be to put an antenna on the roof and then some device for LTE or WiFi in the house. By putting ethernet to the roof and not some 50 ohm antenna cable aren't they limiting you to devices that have an ethernet jack?
ekim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin