Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2017, 04:10 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosman View Post
I'm glad I spurred this conversation along. The person that suggested that Tiffin could be a target of a sell, is very correct. And the company that is buying up companies every year is Thor! If you had invested in Thor the amount that you paid for your Tiffin at the beginning of last year, you would have enough money from profits to buy a new Tiffin!
Selling and going public are two entirely different things.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2017, 04:53 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosman View Post
I'm glad I spurred this conversation along. The person that suggested that Tiffin could be a target of a sell, is very correct. And the company that is buying up companies every year is Thor! If you had invested in Thor the amount that you paid for your Tiffin at the beginning of last year, you would have enough money from profits to buy a new Tiffin!
I don't think Bob has any plans on selling the company, and I'd be willing to bet that he has been approached numerous times. However as I stated in a previous post, it wouldn't surprise me at all that once he steps down, that his sons might have plans to attempt to take the company public.

First of all the sons have grown up in the business, are all college educated and are fairly young. One of Tiffin's grandsons, along with his father who is still employed by Tiffin, has started a company manufacturing fifth wheel trailers. Now I see that Tiffin has introduced a class C coach.

Investors like to see a company that is profitable, well run, has plans for profitable expansion and has a product line with solid sales forecasts. With many more baby boomers retiring, I don't see any problem with future sales. One area where they definitely need to improve is quality control of the initial build, but that shouldn't be an impossible task.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #17

OK. Just got it from the "HORSES MOUTH" so to speak. Talked to Bob this AM in Quartzsite.

Coaches older than 4 years, 3 hours 2 techs. This is for standard repairs. Does not count for windshields, floor tiles, cabinet/counter top repair, paint, body work, chassis such as air bags. He called those specialized repairs in special bays set aside for special work. So if you need a windshield and have a plumbing leak, you can expect to get both done in the same trip in 2 different bays.

This cleared up some of my concerns. Now we just have to see how it really works when it goes into practice.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:24 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Your posts on TRVN were not removed. They (at least one) were moved to a lengthy active topic. Do a search for "New service concerning 4 year limitation" and you will find them there. You could also click on "View new posts" as there have been comments left on this topic almost daily for some time now.

I am attaching a copy of Tiffin's new policy to take affect on 4/3/17. The four year old coach restriction only applies to regular service bays. All coaches will still be able to be serviced in an express bay (two men for three hours). That's six man hours, and if you stay with the coach and make sure they keep moving, there is a lot that can be accomplished in that amount of time. The new policy does add a 60-day waiting period between express bay visits.

Since they're not mentioned, I do not believe that speciality bays, such as mechanical, windshield, etc are affected by this new policy as those involve one specific repair. A quick call to Wade Humphres or Don Boyd (256) 356-0261 could clarify this.

Coaches that may still require roof rail and/or wet bay floor replacements are now being done at an offsite location, so this new policy will not apply to those repairs.

Regarding the 10 year structural warranty, I think a repair falling in this category number one would be very rare, and number two if it did occur, would not be repaired in a regular service bay. As an example I have had the side walls on my coach replaced at Red Bay, and the work was performed at a building at the paint plant in Belmont, MS.

IMO Tiffin was forced to enact this new policy due to the increased number of coaches they are producing that unfortunately due to poor quality control are in need of repairs after the owners take possession. I have been to Red Bay three times (only because I had to), and one of the biggest complaints I've heard is from owners of new coaches having to make repeated trips to Red Bay and wait a month or more for warranty repairs each time. When they only have a one year warranty, it's upsetting to them to observe work being done to older coaches that can easily be handled by dealers or independant RV shops.

I personally will never again take my coach to a dealer, and I have made my last trip to Red Bay. I live in Nevada and have had Tiffin warranty work done at three different RV shops, with the best one, and now my preferred shop, only 120 miles away.
I live in Vegas . . . Would you mind sharing name of competent RV Service shop you've found? Thx! Wongkidrv@gmail.com

Sent from my QTASUN1 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
JT-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:34 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-RV View Post
I live in Vegas . . . Would you mind sharing name of competent RV Service shop you've found? Thx! Wongkidrv@gmail.com

Sent from my QTASUN1 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
I didn't word that correctly. I should have said:
I live in Nevada and have had Tiffin warranty work done at three different RV shops on the west coast, with the best one, and now my preferred shop, only 120 miles away in Newcastle, CA
I don't personally know of any Tiffin authorized service locations in NV.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
If by "contracting out" you mean having dealers and/or independent shops do warranty work, they have been doing that for years. I personally have had Tiffin warranty issues taken care of in AZ and CA at authorized Tiffin repair facilities. There are repair facilities that are more than capable of repairing roof rails, rotten wet bay floors, and even, in two locations, one on the east coast and one on the west coast, the replacement of the DS front slide floor.

There are certain repairs that can only be done in Red Bay, and this new policy does not affect those.

As I have previously stated I have been to Red Bay and have heard many complaints from owners of new coaches that they are spending too much time out of their one year warranty sitting in Red Bay multiple times because they're waiting on older coaches that simply don't need to be there.

I am not here to defend Tiffin as I have my own personal problems with them that will probably keep me from ever buying another Tiffin, but this whole "Just call Bob and he'll take care of you" is no way to run a multi million dollar company. You never see anyone suggest that you call one of his sons for this type of service. I think once Bob steps down, and I don't think that's very far off, we're going to see some major changes as I wouldn't be surprised to see the boys try and take it public. If that's the case, and if I happened to be a future stock holder, I would totally support these decisions.
You mentioned an authorized repair facility on the east coast. Where is the east coast facility? Thanks.
Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:59 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch14me View Post
You mentioned an authorized repair facility on the east coast. Where is the east coast facility? Thanks.
I have never been to them myself, but I have heard excellent reports about Connecticut Motor Cars & Coaches in Plainville, CT.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:49 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
IMHO, Tiffin will suffer badly over the long haul for this policy change. Tiffin competes in the 17% niche of the market that isn't already controlled by Thor and Forest River. What is, and has been, unique to Tiffin is their wonderful customer service that has been driven by Bob Tiffin himself. By limiting visits of older coaches to the express bay only once every 60 days, Tiffin will be telling people that even though you spent more than most people spend on a house, you're on your own after four years. "Please stay away, we don't want your long-term business."

My Ford dealer doesn't warranty my 2000 Taurus wagon anymore, but they will still work in it, whenever I need work done. And I don't wait any longer than anyone else, new car or not. No less, no more. Having a new vehicle doesn't mean head of the line privileges, it means you don't pay for the work. The warranty covers it.

Yes, Tiffin is a manufacturer and not a dealer, but the reality of the RV industry is that many of the dealers are incompetent and cause more problems than they fix. The norm for the entire industry is that if you want it truly fixed, you go to the manufacturer. Also, there are some problems that just are better handled at a factory service center that has the resources, extensive parts supply and the irreplaceable corporate knowledge that the experienced technicians bring to bear on solving problems.

The uniqueness of Tiffin - truly being part of a family - will disappear and then it's just down to how much does the coach cost, and one more reason not to buy a Tiffin. People will stop traveling to Red Bay since the magnet of excellent Tiffin service being available is greatly diminished. The other businesses in town will also suffer due to the reduced number of travelers to Red Bay.

Very sad, as Red Bay and it's people are delightful, and Tiffins were once some of the best motorhomes ever. And, this move is not being communicated properly. This is a tectonic shift in their policy, and change requires extra communication.

Very educational reading on the link below. Tiffin seems to be a part of the herd with this move.
Opinion: The RV industry death spiral – Part 1 | RV Daily Report
Old 02-01-2017, 12:17 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is some further clarification from Tiffin. Let's hope the goal of the first two sentences of the second paragraph is something they are truly going to seriously pursue.

Quote:
Thanks for your inquiry regarding the recent service announcement from the Tiffin Motor Homes warranty center. Indeed, in an effort to focus on warranty service for coaches recently purchased, we have instated a program that enables coaches up to 4 years old, or in need of items covered under our 1/5/10 year limited warranty program, the ability to utilize our Factory warranty center. Coaches older than 4 years or requiring service outside of the 1/5/10, will be welcomed in our express bays for items that can be attended to within a 3 hour window. If a coach outside of the above criteria is referred to us by a dealer that cannot resolve an issue of major consequence such as slide rooms or structural issues, we will make every effort to assist in or facilitate a repair.

Tiffin Motor Homes has ongoing training programs for our dealers and independent service centers, along with an ongoing effort to expand our network of independent service providers. By doing this we hope to build on our already robust network of experienced dealers and service centers. With over 75,000 motor homes on the road, we are making every effort to develop a sustainable approach to supporting our customers. The reality is that offering normal day to day service for older coaches here at Red Bay is not a practice that can be supported long term as our population of Tiffin Motor Homes in use increases. Our coaches last longer than ever, and at the current low rate of attrition we could easily have 90,000 to 100,000 units in use by 2025.

Thanks you for your continued interest in Tiffin Motor Homes.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:25 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch14me View Post

There are many authorized repair facilities. I have never been back to Red Bay and never back to the dealer, but I have had warranty work done by Augusta RV in Augusta, GA. My girlfriend had a lot of warranty work done act Lazydays and an independent place in Sarasota.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, tiffin