Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2017, 09:20 AM   #1
HGC

Tiffin policy change not to repair MHs older than 4 yrs at RB?

Have seen a letter supposedly distributed at RB stating they will no longer repair Tiffin MHs older than 4 years at RB. If this is true,my question is, what about the 10yr. structural warranty they advertise. Last year they announced they would no longer honor extended warranties. Now this.
I have posted this twice on TRVN and mysteriously it has been removed twice. My feeling is that Tiffin should send letters to all registered owners stating their policies on this matter. Due to failure on the part of their dealer network they were, for a lot of us, the last resort with.
If anyone is at RB, can you fill us in on this change in policy as whether it is true and how, as Tiffin owners, to proceed with our plans for repair. Thanks.
HGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2017, 09:33 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Tiffin is happy to service your older motorhome - but not in a regular bay (kind of reserved for warranty work) but in an Express Bay.

There have been a number of changes to Red Bay servicing since I bought my first Tiffin in 2012. For example:

- Custom work was stopped and farmed out to local vendors.
- Appointments were discontinued (due to too many "failure to show" and resulting scheduling issues)
- Implementation of Express Bays
- Body work/painting stopped and farmed out to local vendors
- Outback (extended parking area) policies changed
- Extended warranties no longer accepted (too many late or no pays from companies issuing them)

So I think this year's changes are just fine tuning of previous changes to try and speed the process and maximize workflow in the Service Center.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Tiffin is happy to service your older motorhome - but not in a regular bay (kind of reserved for warranty work) but in an Express Bay.

There have been a number of changes to Red Bay servicing since I bought my first Tiffin in 2012. For example:

- Custom work was stopped and farmed out to local vendors.
- Appointments were discontinued (due to too many "failure to show" and resulting scheduling issues)
- Implementation of Express Bays
- Body work/painting stopped and farmed out to local vendors
- Outback (extended parking area) policies changed
- Extended warranties no longer accepted (too many late or no pays from companies issuing them)

So I think this year's changes are just fine tuning of previous changes to try and speed the process and maximize workflow in the Service Center.
Yeah, 2 technicians for 3 hours and then you have to bring it back after waiting 60 days. No mention about how things like windshield repair, floor repair, rails and slideouts will be handled, and THEY will determine what will be worked on and in what order.

It sounds like Tiffin is trying to reduce some of their backlog and wait times at the repair facility, but based on the quality, scheduling, and parts availability of their dealerships, the problem rests there. Jack the dealerships up and people wouldn't be waiting in line at the factory. This is my second Allegro Bus, and will be my last unless they get a handle on this mess with their dealers.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:11 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGC View Post
Have seen a letter supposedly distributed at RB stating they will no longer repair Tiffin MHs older than 4 years at RB. If this is true,my question is, what about the 10yr. structural warranty they advertise. Last year they announced they would no longer honor extended warranties. Now this.
I have posted this twice on TRVN and mysteriously it has been removed twice. My feeling is that Tiffin should send letters to all registered owners stating their policies on this matter. Due to failure on the part of their dealer network they were, for a lot of us, the last resort with.
If anyone is at RB, can you fill us in on this change in policy as whether it is true and how, as Tiffin owners, to proceed with our plans for repair. Thanks.
Your posts on TRVN were not removed. They (at least one) were moved to a lengthy active topic. Do a search for "New service concerning 4 year limitation" and you will find them there. You could also click on "View new posts" as there have been comments left on this topic almost daily for some time now.

I am attaching a copy of Tiffin's new policy to take affect on 4/3/17. The four year old coach restriction only applies to regular service bays. All coaches will still be able to be serviced in an express bay (two men for three hours). That's six man hours, and if you stay with the coach and make sure they keep moving, there is a lot that can be accomplished in that amount of time. The new policy does add a 60-day waiting period between express bay visits.

Since they're not mentioned, I do not believe that speciality bays, such as mechanical, windshield, etc are affected by this new policy as those involve one specific repair. A quick call to Wade Humphres or Don Boyd (256) 356-0261 could clarify this.

Coaches that may still require roof rail and/or wet bay floor replacements are now being done at an offsite location, so this new policy will not apply to those repairs.

Regarding the 10 year structural warranty, I think a repair falling in this category number one would be very rare, and number two if it did occur, would not be repaired in a regular service bay. As an example I have had the side walls on my coach replaced at Red Bay, and the work was performed at a building at the paint plant in Belmont, MS.

IMO Tiffin was forced to enact this new policy due to the increased number of coaches they are producing that unfortunately due to poor quality control are in need of repairs after the owners take possession. I have been to Red Bay three times (only because I had to), and one of the biggest complaints I've heard is from owners of new coaches having to make repeated trips to Red Bay and wait a month or more for warranty repairs each time. When they only have a one year warranty, it's upsetting to them to observe work being done to older coaches that can easily be handled by dealers or independant RV shops.

I personally will never again take my coach to a dealer, and I have made my last trip to Red Bay. I live in Nevada and have had Tiffin warranty work done at three different RV shops, with the best one, and now my preferred shop, only 120 miles away.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tiffin Service Policy 4-3-17.pdf (563.6 KB, 129 views)
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:59 PM   #5

We were in the Red Bay area this week and got there just in time for the factory tour. It took a while to find our way around all the buildings but at least if we have to go back with our RV I know now where to go. They are cranking out 12 new RVs each day. I asked about the new repair policy but the tour guides did not seem to be aware nor the folks at the Allegro Club Store or parts department we visited. We had to leave so I am sorry I can't report what the service department would have to say which would have been the people to ask. I have the impression older RVs are either handled in the express bay as described in the new policy or farmed out somewhere maybe in the area. We had to leave before actually talking to the service department but I did say that the Tiffin reputation of taking care of their customers was one of their best assets. I understand that they are probably swamped and with so many more RVs on the road adjustments had to be made to policy or to expand service capability. If the issue is a design issue or a build issue that is a different situation than wear and tear repairs and should be handled.
Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:43 PM   #6

Wow- I believe we may be seeing the downfall of Tiffin as we once knew it! Contracting out to others will kill their business. They will not be able to compete with Thor and Winnebago that does everything in-house!
gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:40 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosman View Post
Wow- I believe we may be seeing the downfall of Tiffin as we once knew it! Contracting out to others will kill their business. They will not be able to compete with Thor and Winnebago that does everything in-house!
If by "contracting out" you mean having dealers and/or independent shops do warranty work, they have been doing that for years. I personally have had Tiffin warranty issues taken care of in AZ and CA at authorized Tiffin repair facilities. There are repair facilities that are more than capable of repairing roof rails, rotten wet bay floors, and even, in two locations, one on the east coast and one on the west coast, the replacement of the DS front slide floor.

There are certain repairs that can only be done in Red Bay, and this new policy does not affect those.

As I have previously stated I have been to Red Bay and have heard many complaints from owners of new coaches that they are spending too much time out of their one year warranty sitting in Red Bay multiple times because they're waiting on older coaches that simply don't need to be there.

I am not here to defend Tiffin as I have my own personal problems with them that will probably keep me from ever buying another Tiffin, but this whole "Just call Bob and he'll take care of you" is no way to run a multi million dollar company. You never see anyone suggest that you call one of his sons for this type of service. I think once Bob steps down, and I don't think that's very far off, we're going to see some major changes as I wouldn't be surprised to see the boys try and take it public. If that's the case, and if I happened to be a future stock holder, I would totally support these decisions.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post

There are certain repairs that can only be done in Red Bay, and this new policy does not affect those.

As I have previously stated I have been to Red Bay and have heard many complaints from owners of new coaches that they are spending too much time out of their one year warranty sitting in Red Bay multiple times because they're waiting on older coaches that simply don't need to be there.
Bob, well said; your voice of reason is always appreciated. I've held my thoughts on this, but I think you summarized my perspective as well.

With regards to the first item above, I think they just need to better clarify what / how more "signficant" type issues will be managed.

As for the 2nd point, that is what I certainly beleive too. The fact that the factory has become a "defacto" service center for "routine service" for (way too) many is out of control and I'll leave it at that so I don't offend anyone.

The outgoing service model is no longer sustainable, or scaleable (based on thier location, and local resources).

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:45 AM   #9

Too many people believe its a right of passage to go to RB after buying a Tiffin. Probably overloaded the facilities. Myself if my coach required going back to the factory, i would be rid of it.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:30 AM   #10
HGC

Tiffin Policy change

We have had our 2014 36LA at the dealer for 2 months or more in the first year. The dealer damaged more than they repaired. And what actually was repaired was so poorly done. So much for dealers. Luckily I have been able to fix many things that Tiffin would send parts for. Now, if I have a major problem like a slide problem(which we have, it has a warped outer wall) I wonder if RB will be able to take care of it. My feeling is to try Connecticut Motorcars. They have a good reputation.
We bought our 36LA(ordered) on the reputation of quality and service conveyed to us by the Tiffin rep at that time. Got neither. Then, no service appointment times at RB, lack of extended warranty service, and now a time limit as to certain repairs. Too bad for us. Just hoping I can get this MH up to what it should have been when delivered. Now into 2 years of repairs do to poor construction and QC. The Tiffin myth for us is gone. Along with that is our desire to upgrade to another Tiffin.
HGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:04 PM   #11

Quote:

The policy says that no repairs that will take more that 3 hours will be performed at Red Bay for coaches older that 4 years. Are you suggesting that most repairs that can only be done in Red Bay take less than three hours, or has someone from Tiffin clarified exceptions to the 3 hour rule for you?
ekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekim View Post
The policy says that no repairs that will take more that 3 hours will be performed at Red Bay for coaches older that 4 years. Are you suggesting that most repairs that can only be done in Red Bay take less than three hours, or has someone from Tiffin clarified exceptions to the 3 hour rule for you?
Here's a direct quote from the new service policy regarding the regular service bays:

Regular Service

• Regular service will be performed only on Tiffin motorhomes that are within four years of the original date of purchase.

I don't know if you have ever been to Red Bay, but there are regular, express and speciality service bays.

I would suggest that any Tiffin that has any questions as to the type or level of service they might require, to call the service center ahead of time. There are some very knowledgable and helpful people that can give excellent advice.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Here's a direct quote from the new service policy regarding the regular service bays:

Regular Service

• Regular service will be performed only on Tiffin motorhomes that are within four years of the original date of purchase.

I don't know if you have ever been to Red Bay, but there are regular, express and speciality service bays.
I have asked people who have been in the specialty bays and so far every one started in a full service bay. My sample size is small - just a few people. My (possibly wrong) assumption was that you need to start in a full service bay. This is where any non-trivial problem gets diagnosed. From there you may go to a specialty bay.

I agree asking how access to specialty bays will be handled would be a great help in clearing things up. I'm adding that to my list of specific questions.
ekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #14

I'm glad I spurred this conversation along. The person that suggested that Tiffin could be a target of a sell, is very correct. And the company that is buying up companies every year is Thor! If you had invested in Thor the amount that you paid for your Tiffin at the beginning of last year, you would have enough money from profits to buy a new Tiffin!
gosman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, tiffin