Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2018, 07:27 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Tiffin Red 37PA for extended dry camping

We have been looking at motorhomes for a while, and the 37PA is our favorite so far. We currently have a Outdoors RV travel trailer, and we do lots of dry camping (no hookups). We mostly stay in Forest Service or State Park campgrounds with a few weeks of camping in dispersed BLM areas like Quartzsite. Does anyone do this kind of camping with the 37PA? The tanks seem big enough, but I am a bit worried about how much power a residential refrigerator and a much larger unit will take. We will need to size a solar setup appropriately, and I am pretty sure we will need 6 batteries instead of the default 4. Advice? Note it is just the two of us 95% of the time, and we are generally frugal with power and water. Our current 80 gallons fresh, 80 gallons gray, and 40 gallons black carry us for a week. Our 300 watts of solar plus a backup generator manages indefinitely.

Thanks!
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Residential refrigerators actually have a very low power draw. Most people I have met that dry camp in larger motorhomes run the generator for a couple of hours in the morning while making breakfast and then for 2-3 hours before bedtime. Add the solar and you may be able to cut down on the generator run time.

Your biggest problem is going to be fitting an almost 40' coach into state parks and finding a sunny location for the solar panels. You might want to rethink where you are actually going to dry camp with this coach.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:09 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Residential refrigerators actually have a very low power draw. Most people I have met that dry camp in larger motorhomes run the generator for a couple of hours in the morning while making breakfast and then for 2-3 hours before bedtime. Add the solar and you may be able to cut down on the generator run time.

Your biggest problem is going to be fitting an almost 40' coach into state parks and finding a sunny location for the solar panels. You might want to rethink where you are actually going to dry camp with this coach.
Thanks. I know we will have to be more selective where we camp. The size thing is the reason we have a travel trailer now instead of a coach. We have camped in small spaces for many years (the trailer before this was a 17’ Casita!), and we just want more room. We do know parks where big vehicles can fit, and we also camp in remote areas where anything can fit. I am also interested in how well the heating works on propane, and I am hoping I can get a propane oven in my build as a special modification. Anyone else do that?
Old 01-29-2018, 09:17 AM   #4

from a 'size of your motorhome, standpoint, I don't think it'll be any different for off-gridding since you're already accustomed to understanding how to do it best, you have solar, and you're already used to making use of a generator. A residential style fridge will have a on/off draw as it needs to run the compressor, but other than that, it's really no different, and you'll love the larger fridge!

as for the 'length' and maybe height of the new coach, that's something that is going to be different, but yet still completely doable. Most parks have sized sites for your new rig, but many times most of us can tell you that it's really the drive 'to' the site, tight turns, low limbs, etc... that are more problematic. But even with that, if it's a great place and you're going to be staying awhile, it's worth it. Drive slowly.

Propane heating is subjective, because while it works well, it depends on how 'critical' staying at 72degrees 24/7... but I'm sure you're already used to that as well.
Propane cooking would save you some generator run time, but remember that you also are only 'cooking'/using an electric cooktop for a relative short time period, and probably when you might be running the generator anyway.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:13 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
The battery racks of the RED's will hold 6 batteries, just turn the originally installed four batteries 90 degrees, and add another set of 2 batteries. You'll need 3 short battery cables, it's a very cheap and easy upgrade.

For your type of camping, I would also suggest you also install a Magnum BMK, and upgraded the Magnum RC50 to an ARC50. You'll then be able to manage via SOC (state of charge), works well with the AGS. You'll need a new short one foot battery cable to install the BMK.

If you then install solar panels, your Magnum BMK/ARC50 will know about any solar charging.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:43 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We often dry camp with our 2011 40' Phaeton. Tanks and such similar to the 37PA.

You must be looking at the RED 37PA with standard four batteries. Six are optional I believe. If the coach has four I think the bay and battery tray will accommodate six so an easy add.

We have six GC2 batteries and residential refrigerator. RR is not a problem for dry camping. As commented already a few hours of generator will readily recharge.

We got our 40' coach into pretty much wherever we want it.

I have added 1500w solar which minimizes genny run time.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:12 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Look at L16 AGM batteries. That will give you plenty of capacity.

Steve
2016 Tiffin Red 37 PA
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Sjg1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:08 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For a similar Floor plan a bit smaller, consider the RED 33AA.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:10 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjg1277 View Post
Look at L16 AGM batteries. That will give you plenty of capacity.

Steve
2016 Tiffin Red 37 PA
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Steve - do the L16 batteries fit in the battery slide out tray, height-wise? So one could readily put six L16 batteries in the tray?
Old 01-30-2018, 08:38 AM   #10

Using AC while drycamping

What about using AC while dry camping with no solar. Is it at all possible or too impractical with the amount of generator use that would be necessary.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:33 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bepar108 View Post
What about using AC while dry camping with no solar. Is it at all possible or too impractical with the amount of generator use that would be necessary.
Solar won't support air conditioning. Generator is needed - run the generator as needed, all day if that's what is needed. Continuously running the genny is not a problem - other than the noise and vibration...
Old 01-30-2018, 10:33 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Gotta admit I hate hot weather, so when the daytime temps get over 85 or so we head north or to higher elevation. AC requires a generator, no doubt. Our preferred summer spots are in Montana, Wyoming, or Idaho mountains. Winter sees us in southern California, Arizona, or New Mexico. Can you tell we don’t like humidity either? If the weather has lows below 20 or highs above 85, we use a park with electric.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:12 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I know that 4 will fit. I can't imagine needing more than that. We run the generator an hour in the morning and an hour and a half at night. That's all we need unless we need a/c or microwave.
Sjg1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:17 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjg1277 View Post
I know that 4 will fit. I can't imagine needing more than that. We run the generator an hour in the morning and an hour and a half at night. That's all we need unless we need a/c or microwave.
Much depends on your power consumption. We use quite a bit. Four batteries in our Phaeton with RR and our usage would likely not be enough.

Its easy and inexpensive to go with six batteries.

Tags
camping, tiffin