Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2015, 03:30 PM   #1

Tiffin Service Center-Red Bay

We are bringing our 2013 45 LP Allegro Bus that we just purchased 2 months ago in for some service in mid June. Any hints or remarks that might make our visit easier. We are full timers so we don't have to worry about time frames - but I wont tell them that!! Any help will be appreciated - thanks
dcochran1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2015, 04:45 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bring a few good books, you'll be there awhile and it's getting warm there by then
Sign in as soon as you get there...
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:44 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Type your list of what needs fixing so that it is ready when you arrive. When you check in at the service center aka CRB, the hosts will give you a service number that goes on your windshield and if there is a camping space available will assign you a spot. They give you forms to complete to return to them by morning. The biggest part of that form is the list of repairs so if you have it already ready to go, you can do that right then and there. There are several other alternative campgrounds around Red Bay if CRB is full as opposed to boondocking at the service center. Hosts can help direct you there also.

Once settled in you wait for Norris to come visit you - usually within a couple of days. He goes over your list with you and you decide if the A Service team (comes to your coach), Express Bay (3 hour work limit) or full service bay is needed. Then you wait, and wait, and wait, until you get the call (have a fully charged cell phone with you at all times).

Meantime, visit your neighbors to pass the time and learn a lot. There are some ok places to eat in Red Bay (Jack's is best for breakfast in my book) and a couple of other places are ok (avoid Chinese place and Swamp John's is my motto). Better places not far away in Golden MS, etc. There is a Piggly Wiggly grocery store that has buffet lunches that are good and you might just meet Bob there.

Not many entertainment venues in Red Bay or close by so good book is a good thing to have on hand. It will take all of one day to cover the whole of Red Bay museum, parks and shopping. Be prepared to entertain yourself a lot while waiting. That is why meeting your neighbors becomes important. We have made some long-time travel friends that way: cooking out is a great way to draw people together, watch tv outside after it cools down, just walk the dog (if you have one).

The service center shuts down around 2:30 or 3 or so because they start really early so everyone is free after that time. That's when people start getting out and about.

Another bit of advice is to be proactive. That means going through the service center every day and checking to see where you are on the schedule. Be nice and polite about it but be persistent. This is a small southern town and nice gets you a lot further along believe me. You can also take the factory tour offered a couple of times a week, just ask at the registration office when you check in for the times.

Things move slow on Red Bay time. You will need your patience mode fully operational. If you can handle that you will be fine. June is a busy month - not as busy as the spring and fall migration periods but still busy so you may have to wait a while. Enjoy the experience!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:06 PM   #4

Glad Winnebago take appointments!!!!!
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:33 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopc View Post
Glad Winnebago take appointments!!!!!

THOR also!
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:25 PM   #6

Winnebago service center in Forest City is awesome. I don't know why people put up with that mess in Red Bay. It's reason enough not to buy a Tiffin.
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:06 PM   #7

I inquired about coming to Red Bay to get some things fixed. I was told that I could have to wait up to two weeks. I decided to go back to the dealer. I just can't sit there for that length of time.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:38 PM   #8

When I was there for a visit & tour the service area seemed more like a Tiffin Reunion to me. At night coach owners had their "under coach" light kits on--setting outside having wine with their neighbors. Look like many of them enjoying their wait.

I don't know. I didn't get deal put together to buy a Tiffin but the service system seemed OK to me.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:17 PM   #9

Sure glad the deal fell thru in the "13 Phaeton" dealer really did us a favor.
Not saying which coach is better. (See sig) but the service center in Forest City, Ia. Factory is great. Appointment. Usually 3-5 weeks out but , you can also just drive up.
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
When I was there for a visit & tour the service area seemed more like a Tiffin Reunion to me. At night coach owners had their "under coach" light kits on--setting outside having wine with their neighbors. Look like many of them enjoying their wait.

I don't know. I didn't get deal put together to buy a Tiffin but the service system seemed OK to me.

Russell
Being a new Tiffin owner, and having been to Red Bay, I think this is a fairly accurate perception of MOST of "going to Red Bay". It's cheap ($20 / day), you build out a laundry list of "things to check out" and then and socialize with other Tiffin owners. It also seems to me that this is very convienient for full timers, who can still live in thier coach while while work is getting done.

My guess is that this "scene" started when there were 3 common problems with some coaches built I believe beteen 2008-2012 that I could understand many dealers may not be best suited to fix, so taking it to the factory if reasonably convienient could make a lot of sense, but most coaches by now have had those problems fixed by Tiffin under warranty or not.

Tiffin does thier best to prioritize real warranty work based on how I understand they manage the work flow. You can also leave your coach there (there are limitations on out of warranty coaches on that, but that because some owners were taking advantage of just dropping off thier coaches with thier laundry list, and getting free storage).......
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #11

As a side note, I was informed that "we" will never be camping out in Red Bay .
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:14 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Much has been said about how Red Bay compares to Forest City and other factory service centers ....

.... but remember, one thing you most likely don't need to pack for a non-appointment camp out at Red Bay whether you're still on "warranty" or not ....

.... your checkbook!
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Much has been said about how Red Bay compares to Forest City and other factory service centers ....

.... but remember, one thing you most likely don't need to pack for a non-appointment camp out at Red Bay whether you're still on "warranty" or not ....

.... your checkbook!
I don't remember any of the other manufacturers charging to wait for repairs.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:28 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana journey View Post
I don't remember any of the other manufacturers charging to wait for repairs.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey
Point taken ... Red Bay Service Center campground is free if on warranty or part of what Tiffin calls "the big three" repairs after warranty. Otherwise it's $20/night full hookups.

Wondering though, do you remember other manufacturers routinely sending you on your way after warranty expires and after all of the repairs have been completed with no repair bill?

I do remember the no charge campsites at Forest City (two times, two coaches), but sure hated the repair bills at the end. Can't speak to any others.

$20/night at Red Bay, if you have to pay it, is a pittance. Plus it gives you access to a no-charge wash area, a nice laundry facility, and .... as folks say .... much much more!

Don't get me wrong .... I'm not really a Tiffin KoolAid drinker .... but they have a good reputation for after purchase service. "Almost Free!"
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service, tiffin