Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2017, 10:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRichard View Post
Well if you spoke to him on the phone and didn't get things resolved, then you either ticked him off or couldn't articulate your problem, because you're in the serious minority of people who haven't gotten satisfaction from Bob Tiffin.
Especially for a coach with (allegedly) 20+ problems.
There are literally hundreds of Tiffin owners on these forums who have had their problems resolved on Tiffins dime AFTER their warranty was expired.
Why do you think yours are not being addressed?
Thank you for all your unfounded accusations. When you get to something rational or evidence based, feel free to post it.

I am not "hundreds of Tiffin owners" I am one Tiffin owner. I have 7 pages of repair order from one Tiffin service center and a 9 page repair order from another, as well as repair orders from Freightliner and Cummins. Tiffin paid the bills on most of those, so apparently Tiffin agrees the coach has that many defects, most of which were present at the factory.

Both slide rear DS motors were replaced as well as one of the slide rollers because the Tiffin factory knowingly shipped a coach with a defective slide. I know the factory knew it was defective because the head of one of the screws that hold the trim piece had been turned 90 degrees, and that was obvious because the paint stripe ran through the center of the head.

The slide did not have the bottom four screws in the retainer plate on one side, the retainer that was supposed to be holding in the mechanism when the motor applies torque. The screws were not in place because the retainer didn't line up with the wall piece it was supposed to be attached to. The normal screws wouldn't bite so they just left them out, and again it's clearly a factory issue because the trim strip would have retained any screws that had stripped or loosened.

I've been documenting the issues as I go, and I will be listing each of them in my ongoing thread.

https://dphaynes.smugmug.com/Travel/Coach-Issues/

I'm currently sitting here without electric hot water because I discovered after they replaced the failed main board of the AquaHot to fix the diesel boiler that stopped working, the electric heater stopped working. Of course it's out of warranty now so guess who pays?

After almost a full year of finger pointing between Freightliner and Tiffin over whose fault the wiper problems were, it turns out that Tiffin knew what the problem was, it just took a competent/conscientious repair tech to track down the one guy at Tiffin who knew exactly what it was. I finally have wipers that at least operate in response to pressing of the buttons on the steering wheel, but now I'm back to the original problem which is a massive hammering noise from under the dash when there is a crosswind that puts a lot of resistance on the blades.

Tiffin's response to my phone calls asking for how to get my issues resolved was to tell me to look at their dealer locator map and "just call around" until I find someone that will look at it. Their dealer locator map is at least 3 to 4 years out of date because at least one of the "service centers" listed there has been out of business that long.

I was flat out told by one Tiffin dealer that they simply don't service coaches that they didn't sell. Of the 6 or 7 Tiffin service centers I've talked to, no one would schedule an appointment less than 4 weeks out, and that's regardless of what time of year it is. It's *always* "a really busy season" at Tiffin approved service centers.

Feel free to say that a back splash literally falling off the wall while sitting still is just a part of the great Tiffin owner experience and that all I have to do is call Bob Tiffin and he'll invite me to spend a couple thousand more dollars of my money to drive to Red Bay and swelter in Alabama for a few weeks while they "make it right". Just don't try to claim that's good customer service because that's neither true nor rational.

Also, feel free to respond to my original point before you started making the unfounded accusations: Tiffin does not even make a token attempt to track customer issues, does not follow up on them to see if the customer even got a response let alone a satisfactory resolution.

That was the point of my original post, to warn the OP that if whoever handled the email at Tiffin forgot to forward it or forgot to print it out to hand to someone to read or if the person who received it forgot to reply to it or simply is off on vacation, then the customer is just out of luck and will have to try again. Something that would absolutely be prevented by the use of a minimal free CRM system for tracking customer issues.

https://opensource.com/business/14/7...urce-crm-tools
dphaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2017, 11:43 AM   #16

I get it. You have a bad coach. Tiffins dealer network is no better than the rest of the industry, as pretty much no dealer will work on a coach they didn't sell due to limited technicians and too many of their own customers.

But to be blunt, along with the bad coach you have taken a bad approach. First, no one spends thousands of dollars getting to Red Bay. Second, anyone who owned a coach with the problems you have had would not have disregarded the best solution to get them fixed all at once - namely bringing it to the people who know it best.
I'm sure you were given the advice from many people on these forums and at dealers to bring it to Red Bay, and you ignored that advice.

They created the initial problem, but you didn't make it any better.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:09 PM   #17
Commercial Member

oldsarge, in some cases, being the second owner does change the warranties on some appliances and parts. in some cases, the mfg of the coach, and the mfg of some of the systems, don't recognize the second owner as a warranty claimant.
in a lot of cases, the warranty can be transferred to the second owner, there should have been cards to do that in the owners packet. you can also get them off the internet.
i have dealt with warranties since 1967, and know there is a wide interpretation of the rules. doesn't make it right, just the way it is sometimes. if you can find a repair center to advocate for you, it might help.
if you can get to bob again, maybe he would help. it doesn't hurt to try again.
maybe write him a personal letter with the list. there has to be a reasonable solution to this.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:29 PM   #18

me too and fed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphaynes View Post
Thank you for all your unfounded accusations. When you get to something rational or evidence based, feel free to post it.

I am not "hundreds of Tiffin owners" I am one Tiffin owner. I have 7 pages of repair order from one Tiffin service center and a 9 page repair order from another, as well as repair orders from Freightliner and Cummins. Tiffin paid the bills on most of those, so apparently Tiffin agrees the coach has that many defects, most of which were present at the factory.

Both slide rear DS motors were replaced as well as one of the slide rollers because the Tiffin factory knowingly shipped a coach with a defective slide. I know the factory knew it was defective because the head of one of the screws that hold the trim piece had been turned 90 degrees, and that was obvious because the paint stripe ran through the center of the head.

The slide did not have the bottom four screws in the retainer plate on one side, the retainer that was supposed to be holding in the mechanism when the motor applies torque. The screws were not in place because the retainer didn't line up with the wall piece it was supposed to be attached to. The normal screws wouldn't bite so they just left them out, and again it's clearly a factory issue because the trim strip would have retained any screws that had stripped or loosened.

I've been documenting the issues as I go, and I will be listing each of them in my ongoing thread.

https://dphaynes.smugmug.com/Travel/Coach-Issues/

I'm currently sitting here without electric hot water because I discovered after they replaced the failed main board of the AquaHot to fix the diesel boiler that stopped working, the electric heater stopped working. Of course it's out of warranty now so guess who pays?

After almost a full year of finger pointing between Freightliner and Tiffin over whose fault the wiper problems were, it turns out that Tiffin knew what the problem was, it just took a competent/conscientious repair tech to track down the one guy at Tiffin who knew exactly what it was. I finally have wipers that at least operate in response to pressing of the buttons on the steering wheel, but now I'm back to the original problem which is a massive hammering noise from under the dash when there is a crosswind that puts a lot of resistance on the blades.

Tiffin's response to my phone calls asking for how to get my issues resolved was to tell me to look at their dealer locator map and "just call around" until I find someone that will look at it. Their dealer locator map is at least 3 to 4 years out of date because at least one of the "service centers" listed there has been out of business that long.

I was flat out told by one Tiffin dealer that they simply don't service coaches that they didn't sell. Of the 6 or 7 Tiffin service centers I've talked to, no one would schedule an appointment less than 4 weeks out, and that's regardless of what time of year it is. It's *always* "a really busy season" at Tiffin approved service centers.

Feel free to say that a back splash literally falling off the wall while sitting still is just a part of the great Tiffin owner experience and that all I have to do is call Bob Tiffin and he'll invite me to spend a couple thousand more dollars of my money to drive to Red Bay and swelter in Alabama for a few weeks while they "make it right". Just don't try to claim that's good customer service because that's neither true nor rational.

Also, feel free to respond to my original point before you started making the unfounded accusations: Tiffin does not even make a token attempt to track customer issues, does not follow up on them to see if the customer even got a response let alone a satisfactory resolution.

That was the point of my original post, to warn the OP that if whoever handled the email at Tiffin forgot to forward it or forgot to print it out to hand to someone to read or if the person who received it forgot to reply to it or simply is off on vacation, then the customer is just out of luck and will have to try again. Something that would absolutely be prevented by the use of a minimal free CRM system for tracking customer issues.

https://opensource.com/business/14/7...urce-crm-tools
I quoted the whole post because its pretty much me too. This is my 4th tiffin and the last. Its obvious mine was hurried down the line and I'm very disappointed. One of my previous occupations was repairing contractor screw ups so I know crap work when I see it. No I'm not driving 800 miles to red bay and the dealers in fl suck.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
I quoted the whole post because its pretty much me too. This is my 4th tiffin and the last. Its obvious mine was hurried down the line and I'm very disappointed. One of my previous occupations was repairing contractor screw ups so I know crap work when I see it. No I'm not driving 800 miles to red bay and the dealers in fl suck.

I am constantly amazed that people would spend the kind of money they do on a motor home and let their ego get in the way of doing what is right to have it fixed.

As mentioned before, most RV dealers leave a lot to be desired when it comes to service. If you think that will change with another brand, think again.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:29 AM   #20

Quote:
I am constantly amazed that people would spend the kind of money they do on a motor home and let their ego get in the way of doing what is right to have it fixed.

As mentioned before, most RV dealers leave a lot to be desired when it comes to service. If you think that will change with another brand, think again.
has nothing to do with ego ; just very disappointed. Your right about " that kind of money". Since my 07 phaeton the quality has really gone down. I'm not a coolaide drinker so if the emperor has no clothes on I will tell him. Actually about dealers. I believe they will continue to decline for one reason is the lack of service personnel.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:19 AM   #21

Tiffin Service Email

Not a Koolaid drinker, either, just a realist. When you make anything by hand, you get good units and bad units. For every one out there that is the proverbial lemon being complained about, you have 10 that have little to no initial quality issues.
Has their overall quality gone down? Maybe so, given that they’re trying to squeeze more demand out of the same plant. Clearly, certain units shouldn’t be shipped in the condition they are in based on some people’s feedback.
But to claim (as the other poster did) that Tiffin doesn’t care about customer service because they don’t return some emails is simply foolish. Especially given the lengths Tiffin will go to make it right - even past the coach’s warranty.

And a lot of responsibility falls on certain customers shoulders as well. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve read about someone stroking a check or signing some papers BEFORE their PDI, or after a cursory one, then complaining about finding things that didn’t work. Really? Why treat your motor home any differently than your house, given that you’re probably paying as much as one would cost? And this house moves!

And this whole “I’m not going to take this to Red Bay nonsense is just that - nonsense. When you buy a new car and something goes wrong, you bring it to the experts; a dedicated dealership for that brand. No such dedicated dealership exists in the motor home industry, so when the offer is made to bring your motor home to the experts who know your model inside and out, you take it to Red Bay. Tiffin might even stroke you a check for the gas needed to get there if you ask nicely.
Oh, and who else in any industry will let you on the manufacturing floor to watch your coach being built and ask questions and make changes when things don’t look right? Pretty much defines customer service, doesn’t it?

Bottom line, both the RV manufacturer and the customer need to know when to be proactive vs. reactive.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:27 AM   #22

Quote:
Not a Koolaid drinker, either, just a realist. When you make anything by hand, you get good units and bad units. For every one out there that is the proverbial lemon being complained about, you have 10 that have little to no initial quality issues.
Has their overall quality gone down? Maybe so, given that they’re trying to squeeze more demand out of the same plant. Clearly, certain units shouldn’t be shipped in the condition they are in based on some people’s feedback.
But to claim (as the other poster did) that Tiffin doesn’t care about customer service because they don’t return some emails is simply foolish. Especially given the lengths Tiffin will go to make it right - even past the coach’s warranty.

And a lot of responsibility falls on certain customers shoulders as well. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve read about someone stroking a check or signing some papers BEFORE their PDI, or after a cursory one, then complaining about finding things that didn’t work. Really? Why treat your motor home any differently than your house, given that you’re probably paying as much as one would cost? And this house moves!

And this whole “I’m not going to take this to Red Bay nonsense is just that - nonsense. When you buy a new car and something goes wrong, you bring it to the experts; a dedicated dealership for that brand. No such dedicated dealership exists in the motor home industry, so when the offer is made to bring your motor home to the experts who know your model inside and out, you take it to Red Bay. Tiffin might even stroke you a check for the gas needed to get there if you ask nicely.
Oh, and who else in any industry will let you on the manufacturing floor to watch your coach being built and ask questions and make changes when things don’t look right? Pretty much defines customer service, doesn’t it?

Bottom line, both the RV manufacturer and the customer need to know when to be proactive vs. reactive.
sure I'll drive to red bay for stripped cabinet screws , doors out of alignment unplugged wires , paint flaws and on and on. That would be silly! I just fix it myself. Also I wouldnt consider the service personnel at red bay experts ; by a long shot.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:16 AM   #23

Quote:
sure I'll drive to red bay for stripped cabinet screws , doors out of alignment unplugged wires , paint flaws and on and on. That would be silly! I just fix it myself. Also I wouldnt consider the service personnel at red bay experts ; by a long shot.
Now you're just being silly. No one is suggesting you make the trek to Red Bay for that.

Your dealer is certainly equipped and trained to do those things, and they don't even have to be a Tiffin service dealer, either.

And how would you know about the current state of Tiffin service in Red Bay if you refuse to go there?
Old 10-10-2017, 07:42 AM   #24

Quote:
Now you're just being silly. No one is suggesting you make the trek to Red Bay for that.

Your dealer is certainly equipped and trained to do those things, and they don't even have to be a Tiffin service dealer, either.

And how would you know about the current state of Tiffin service in Red Bay if you refuse to go there?
actually you do infer to go to red bay for this ! And no the dealers are not qualified for these repairs ; naive thinking here, been there and done that, my repairs are much better. I know about the current state of repairs due to my friend who just left there in disgust. I have had 9 motorhomes and it is obvious to me the bean counters rule the roost. Defending poor quality due to hurried assembly lines only keeps the reputation going down hill. Unfortunately its well known in the industry that when the baby boomers are all finished its going to dry up.
Anyway you need to defend poor workmanship and I dont so I will bow out on this.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:49 AM   #25

Quote:
actually you do infer to go to red bay for this !.

Suggest you brush up on your English skills.

And one person out of dozens of very satisfied says you’re wrong again.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:54 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am a loyal Tiffin owner due their great warranty program but I will say the quality of their coaches has deteriorated. I was at Red Bay for 3 weeks in Feb/Mar this year. I saw and heard some horror stories concerning the quality of new coaches. I met some very unhappy owners but I also met some very happy owners. It was the 'slow" season and the Service Center was repairing over 100 coaches a week. All you have to do is look at the work order numbers to see how many they go through in a week. Most repairs were on 2016/17 year models since new models go to the top of the list for repairs.
I have noticed that if someone on this forum complains about their Tiffin they get criticized. There is no reasonable explanation and it should not happen. Let them say their piece and let it go as getting into a pi$$ing contest doesn't accomplish anything nor help the person that owns a problematic coach.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:19 AM   #27

What you see as criticism is simply pointing out that painting with a broad brush is wrong, no matter what the subject.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey folks, I'm going fishing, got a great can o' worms here.
oldSarge98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service, tiffin