RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Post Tiffin Solar Documentation Question

From other posts, some know we got a new Phaeton 40QBH this year. I've been reading the library of documentation that comes with a MH. Currently, I think I'll pursue solar on the coach somewhere down the road, assuming it's wired for it. On the "boondocking" thread, I'm reading the suggested readings on solar. I've been to Tiffin site and got all the .pdf docs, but nothing solar there.

But the MAIN question I have right now is for the Tiffin owners....

My MSRP sheet has the line "Solar Panel Prep OPT". What does this mean??

Where do I get info on the this coach solar wiring (connections, wire locations, wiresize, etc.)

I called Tiffin and asked about the wiring, documentation, etc. The guy I got said if it's wired for solar, it would indicate on the MSRP sheet. When I asked about schematics or wiring diagrams (I have lots of tech background) so I know what is where, he said there wasn't any. Pretty hard for me to believe. I would believe more that he was protecting Tiffin's way of doing things.

So, can anyone point me in a direction either in the forums or to some websites that is specific to Tiffin Solar information or documentation? I'm a pretty good self-runner if I can get a direction.

Thanks for any feedback.
-les

les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2016, 01:03 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I worked for several weeks to get a complete wiring schematic and met the same end as you did. I continued to call and on the 4th try I got a guy that ask for the last so many numbers of my VIN and upon giving that info he gives me a part number and transfers me to sales with the part number. It cost me 25 dollars for the xerox copy and 23 dollars shipping. I got the schematic and would have needed a microscope to read it. But with a little patience and persistence you might get one. You know damn well they have the thing.

Rkesselus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:03 PM   #3

The wiring they provide isnt big enough for much solar, so if you plan on much you will have to run new wire anyway.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:37 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
The wiring they provide isnt big enough for much solar, so if you plan on much you will have to run new wire anyway.
I agree with NevadaNick, you might as well start from scratch and spend the time and money more wisely by designing a system that will meet YOUR needs instead of trying to meet the needs of someone from Tiffin who designed a system for your Phaeton. Odds are that the Tiffin design is for 2 panels and very low current, say 200 watts. This would be a waste of time and money. Do it right and start from scratch and take advantage of the newer panels (345 watts) and the better charge controllers (Like Midnight Solar) that are out there. You would have to do the wiring and panel installation anyway, and you will, still have to do the majority of the work. You don't want to be constrained by what Tiffin thinks you need.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:02 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Depends on what they installed, where they installed it, the size and design of the solar system. The TRVN folks should be able to provide more details I would think.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:15 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Depends on what they installed, where they installed it, the size and design of the solar system. The TRVN folks should be able to provide more details I would think.
I jumped over to TRVN and did find a bit more information. From the forum, it appears Tiffin's Solar Ready means they ran 10ga wire from the roof, to the area above the driver's chair, where the battery, generator, shore controls are located, and to the batteries. Posters said it was heavy enough if you just wanted to slow charge your batteries, but wasn't a "serious" setup. If you wanted something serious with solar, it would be way too small, and you'd have to run your own wire (4ga?).

This is somewhat the info I was looking for. Guess I'll study-up and see what effort and $$ it will take to get me towards a "serious" solar setup.

Thanks for the feedback and I'll still take any guidance offered.
-les
Old 12-16-2016, 02:18 PM   #7

My recommendation is that if you're serious about putting a reasonable solar system on your rig, forget the Tiffin pre-wire. I had a single 120W panel through a very low end controller on a new 2008 Allegro Bus. I had to call the controller manufacturer to get any information that was useful. What Tiffin supplied was a joke. Also when I checked with Tiffin they swore I had a 10ga down wire from the panel. Wrong. It was 14ga when I measured it. I put a 810W system on the 2008 and also on my 2013 Bus. 6 panels are parallel wired to a collector box on the roof and we ran 6ga down to a Morningstar MPPT controller. This is one way to do it, however, there are many. Do your research, design your system and enjoy it. We boondock a lot more than most, but our system works great for us. Again, forget the Tiffin pre-wire.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:50 PM   #8

Vsheetz, i was talking about what Tiffin ran when built which i beleive is what the op was asking.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:23 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Vsheetz, i was talking about what Tiffin ran when built which i beleive is what the op was asking.
Yes, I understand. The OP subsequently responded that likely #10 wire was installed by Tiffin. Depending on the goals of the system, it may or may not be adequate is my point. More info as to system goals is needed. I agree if the OP wants a sizable PV array of several hundred watts one run of #10 is not adequate.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:49 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've been reading "Bob's" solar information blog. Lots there. In my research, I'm such a newbie, I'm still asking the question, "What do I really want to do with solar and therefore, how much do I need?" From what I've read so far, it appears any installation targeting any serious benefits, will use beyond what the manufacturers pre-wire. I'll keep reading and researching and hopefully getting smarter about RV solar.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:58 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
I jumped over to TRVN and did find a bit more information. From the forum, it appears Tiffin's Solar Ready means they ran 10ga wire from the roof, to the area above the driver's chair, where the battery, generator, shore controls are located, and to the batteries. Posters said it was heavy enough if you just wanted to slow charge your batteries, but wasn't a "serious" setup. If you wanted something serious with solar, it would be way too small, and you'd have to run your own wire (4ga?).

This is somewhat the info I was looking for. Guess I'll study-up and see what effort and $$ it will take to get me towards a "serious" solar setup.

Thanks for the feedback and I'll still take any guidance offered.
-les
Les, I think you are on the right track. I purchased 4, 265 watt panels, for $120 a piece. Then I purchased one of the best charge controllers on the market. Midnite Solar 150. It is superior to other controllers but well worth it for charging batteries. It is expensive but I never looked back. I have 1060 watts of power. Now you can buy 345 watt panels. You can sometimes find them on Craigslist from solar companies that go out of business. My total cost, because I installed it myself, was under $1800.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:38 AM   #12

I have 640 watts done at AM solar. I wasnt trying to eliminate running the generator but rather shorten the run time. It has worked out well for us. We typically run the generator in the am and the evening for an hour or two depending on whats being used, sometimes we dont run it at all. The amount of solar we have has done better than what AM said we would get from it.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:35 PM   #13

I too pursued this with Tiffin since my unit came pre-wired and was told it is 8 ga. Maybe they heard all the complaining. Will confirm the size when we get to Tucson next month, -22 here in Iowa and no solar. Looking for a trusted solar resource there to do installation.
Rpwainc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:47 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Interesting Rpwainc. A 2016 with 8ga and 2017 (Aug 2016) with 10ga (what they told me). I think I'll call them again next week and try to talk with someone closer to the actual wiring. Think I saw a name in their latest magazine.

Tags
solar, tiffin