RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #1

Tiffin top selling brand 2011

Quoting an article published in RVBUSINESS today:

""Tiffin Motorhomes Inc. finished 2011 as the nation’s leader for unit sales of Class A motorhomes, according to the latest report from Statistical Surveys Inc.
The Red Bay, Ala.-based builder held the No. 1 position for the year, holding a 21.1% market share, just edging out Winnebago with a 20.2% share. Thor was No. 3, owning a 17.3% market share. That was up from Tiffin’s 17.9 percent share in 2010.
“We appreciate the collaborative effort of our dealers and manufacturing team, and our loyal following from the Tiffin Motorhomes family of coach owners,” said General Manager Tim Tiffin in a press release. “As we look ahead to 2012, we’ll continue our commitment to customer service, supporting our dealers and doing what’s right for our customers.”
A family-owned business, Tiffin is celebrating its 40th anniversary this year. Its brands include the Allegro, Allegro RED, Allegro Breeze, Phaeton, Allegro Bus and Zephyr, available through a network of dealers throughout the U.S. and Canada.
In addition to the No. 1 overall position, Tiffin’s Phaeton ranked as the top-selling diesel pusher for the sixth consecutive year.
For more information, visit www.tiffinmotorhomes.com.""

edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I am curious, how do they determine market share? Is there someplace where the total sales are available or do they get it from the manufactures?

2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #3

Do they go by units or net income?
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Do they go by units or net income?
I'd have to say units. I wouldn't think profit would come into play. I'm sure they don't look at profit when determining number one car sales.

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QBH
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
2011 SALES (Jan. to Nov.)
Tiffin 1518 units
Fleetwood 547
Winnebago 523
Monaco 455
Thor 406
Newmar 294

I cut and pasted this info from another thread a while ago. Sorry, do not remember the source. Found it very interesting.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
JimKate, your numbers are for Diesel Pusher units only. They were provided by Cruzer over on the Tiffin RV Network.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
I am curious, how do they determine market share?
As it states in the first line of the article.......

This is UNIT sales data collected by Statistical Surveys, Inc. SSI is an independant company which tracks all sorts of data on various industries. Generally, they provide more detailed data to companies that subscribe to their services annually.

My understanding is that they calculate each builder's "market share" by determining the total number of units sold by all builders, and then divide that number into the total for each individual manufacturer.

Example: Builder "A" sold 21,500 units = 21.5 % market share
Builder "B" sold 13,200 units = 13.2% market share
Builder "C" sold 7,500 units = 7.5% market share

example assumes total coaches sold by ALL builders = 100,000

Unit sales does not reflect the dollar value of those sales. I suspect that SSI would have a hard time collecting the actual $$ involved, since not all manufacturers are public companies, but I really don't know what info is required to be reported to them by SSI..

I think this is the first time Tiffin has produced and sold more total Class A coaches than their biggest competetiors such as Winnebago, Thor, Fleetwood, Monaco, Newmar, etc.

Congrats to all the folks in Red Bay!
Old 02-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #8

to add a little perspective

quoting portions of another article published in RVBUSINESS in January 2012:

""RV wholesale shipments for all of 2011..... all motorhomes were slightly less in 2011 than 2010,........ finishing at 24,800 units for all of 2011,........... off 1.6% from their annual total one year earlier.""

Please note this unit total is for all three types of motorhomes. The breakdown is as follows:

Class A = 12,700 units, Class B = 1,900 units, & Class C = 10,200 units.

Therefore, my earlier "example" using 100,000 units was dramatically overstated, especially since we are talking about only Class A coaches here.

The "ALL motorhomes" total is only a small fraction of the "ALL towables" total, which was 227,500 units for 2011.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldrtrcr View Post
JimKate, your numbers are for Diesel Pusher units only. They were provided by Cruzer over on the Tiffin RV Network.
Thanks Bill. I was scratching my head wondering where I got that info.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:07 AM   #10

Great for Tiffin, now if they will take a breath and get there Quality where it should be, they will be Great!!
Lault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #11

computing these numbers

IF you use the 21.1% market share from the OP, and use the 12,700 total Class A coaches shipped in 2011, that indicates Tiffin made approx. 2,680 total coaches. IMO, that's believable, considering they complete 10-12 each working day. IMPRESSIVE!
Old 02-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin has always done well with diesel pushers. The Phaeton has been the #1 DP sold for the last 6 years. The Allegro Bus moved into the #2 spot a few years back. Now the Breeze is #3 and the Allegro RED is #4. I was surprised to see them move up that fast.

But, this is the first year ever that Tiffin was #1 for the entire range of class A's, both diesel and gas. Considering that Winnebago and Fleetwood do quite well with their many offerings in that market segment that one took me by surprise too. Especially when you consider that the Allegro Bay was dropped a few years back and Tiffin now only makes the one gasser model - the Allegro. But, the Allegro has some awesome floor plans and a great value for what you get aqbnd apparently that must really appeal to buyers in that market segment.

And just to confirm - the sales stats are units sold and registered to end users. They do not include any dealer stock units. They also do not track dollar volume.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
Tiffin has always done well with diesel pushers.....

But, this is the first year ever that Tiffin was #1 for the entire range of class A's, both diesel and gas.......

And just to confirm - the sales stats are units sold and registered to end users. They do not include any dealer stock units. They also do not track dollar volume.
MARK:
Thanks for confirming that. In the interest of full disclosure, I used 12,700 "Wholeseale SHIPMENTS" units, which I assume includes dealer stock units, when I was calculating the production total posted above.

Anyway you look at it, or interpret the numbers, Tiffin has done a remarkable job growing & competing with formitable competitors during a tough market.
Ed
Old 02-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Interestingly enough there was an episode on TV last night of the House Hunters show that featured a couple looking to upgrade to a class A. They looked at three gas class A units in the 35' length. The one they chose was the Allegro. The show compared the three units, at least as far as interior and storage went, and it was pretty self explanatory why the Allegro won. It also backs why it's boosting the sales records being discussed in this topic because they really have packed the Allegro with a bunch of home run features, decor, etc.

Note that the Allegro floor plan they chose was the 35' 4 slide bunk bed model. Actually the 32CA and 34TGA are more popular but this couple was looking for bunk beds.

It was an interesting show. Most likely they'll rerun that episode again in the near future.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin