RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2019, 10:55 PM   #1

Tiffin upgrades

Have 2014 Tiffin Allegro RED, 34FQA.
After visiting many campgrounds on this road trip, there are a few upgrades that I would like to add. Looking for brands and advice.

1. Slideout/rollout trays that fit in the bottom storage compartments. Now me or wife have to crawl inside to retrieve items. Have seen some coaches with trays that slide out of storage space. Any idea of manufacturers or costs? Can an adept handyman install them themselves?

2. Exhaust extension. vertical stack, for the diesel generator exhaust, so the it is quieter and doesn't exhaust on the ground, sometimes blowing dust. Any advice on manufacturers?

3. Installing a TEE after the outlet side of the propane tank regulator, with one leg going to a portable bar-b-que. Do I still need the small regulator that comes with the bar-b-que, or is the one on the coach sufficient?

Diesel generator runs smoky for the first 5 minutes, and then smells running very rich (unburned fuel) when running at high altitudes, (9,000 feet), Any adjustments that can be made to lean the system out? (Remembering the old automobile carburetors).

surferskir is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2019, 04:50 AM   #2

Start saving for a 2020 model. Dave

allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:01 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferskir View Post
Have 2014 Tiffin Allegro RED, 34FQA.
After visiting many campgrounds on this road trip, there are a few upgrades that I would like to add. Looking for brands and advice.

1. Slideout/rollout trays that fit in the bottom storage compartments. Now me or wife have to crawl inside to retrieve items. Have seen some coaches with trays that slide out of storage space. Any idea of manufacturers or costs? Can an adept handyman install them themselves?

2. Exhaust extension. vertical stack, for the diesel generator exhaust, so the it is quieter and doesn't exhaust on the ground, sometimes blowing dust. Any advice on manufacturers?

3. Installing a TEE after the outlet side of the propane tank regulator, with one leg going to a portable bar-b-que. Do I still need the small regulator that comes with the bar-b-que, or is the one on the coach sufficient?

Diesel generator runs smoky for the first 5 minutes, and then smells running very rich (unburned fuel) when running at high altitudes, (9,000 feet), Any adjustments that can be made to lean the system out? (Remembering the old automobile carburetors).
#1: Yes, you can be the trays, but I don't know how easy it would be installing in your coach. In normal installations, they're just bolted through the floor. Also know that they will take some of the height away from your basement storage.

#2: Google "Gen-Turi" or "Genturi". That is the name of the device that you're seeking.

#3: Google "Extend-a-stay". That allows you to add a larger propane tank. I'm not sure if you can use the "tee" for a grill also, but it will be a start in your search.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:40 AM   #4

We too have a 2014 34 QFA, and really like it. As you have stated, the storage space is somewhat limited on this model.
1. We use plastic tubs whenever possible. sliding trays would be nice.
2. Haven't thought of this one yet.
3. We are in the process to get one and install it. Just waiting for cooler weather to do the install.
4. Sounds like you need someone to look at your generator.

Please keep us posted on what mods you do end up making on your 34 QFA.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:09 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Do a search for MorRyde trays. They are available in different widths and lengths to fit about any application. You will lose a little storage height but it's well worth the convenience of pull out access. They are easy to install with a couple of bolts or screws into the plywood flooring.

Yes, you will still need the regulator on the grill. The tee off of the propane tank with the Extend-A-Stay kit is un-regulated so you will still utilize the built in regulator on the grill.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:13 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
3. You are correct to use a Tee and an angle cock certified for WAG (water,air,gas). Just put the tee between the regulator and the flex hose connection. That is after the regulator and on the low pressure side. This eliminates the need for your BBQ's regulator.

(I personally would not put anything on the high pressure side.)

Put the valve between the tee and quick connect that comes with an outdoor natural gas BBQ grill connection kit, available at most big box stores, and attach the other end of the hose to your BBQ.

When you sell or trade your rig it uninstalls and installs easily. Be sure to use the correct pipe dope and check for leaks. Here's a pic of one on it's third rig: photo should be rotated to the right.(I figured out how to rotate the pic after posting. Sorry)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190816_175252.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	257118  
Old 08-16-2019, 08:22 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Correction: that's a WOG (water, oil,gas) valve.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
3. You are correct to use a Tee and an angle cock certified for WAG (water,air,gas). Just put the tee between the regulator and the flex hose connection. That is after the regulator and on the low pressure side. This eliminates the need for your BBQ's regulator.

(I personally would not put anything on the high pressure side.)

Put the valve between the tee and quick connect that comes with an outdoor natural gas BBQ grill connection kit, available at most big box stores, and attach the other end of the hose to your BBQ.

When you sell or trade your rig it uninstalls and installs easily. Be sure to use the correct pipe dope and check for leaks. Here's a pic of one on it's third rig: photo should be rotated to the right.(I figured out how to rotate the pic after posting. Sorry)

If installed after regulator as pictured regulator on Weber should be removed. Best way imho speaking as a 40 year gas utility employee.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:22 PM   #9

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I installed a stanbroil lp system mostly to run my gas grill. it took about 15 min. to hook up and works great. $50.00.

mdka99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin, upgrade