RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2019, 09:00 PM   #1

Tiffin VS Newmar Threads

The Tiffin VS Newmar threads seem to trend towards Newmar pretty heavily on this forum. With that being said, we looked at some 2014-2018 Allegro Bus's and tag Axle Phaetons this weekend, and really liked the floorplans, space utilization, and cabinetry.

What has the ownership experience been for owners of the newer big Tiffins? How has the quality been?

Anybody have one of each that would like to share their experience?

We're full time, and plan on doing alot of traveling, so we'd like to minimize down time as much as possible. Not looking for new - looking for a newer used unit.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2019, 09:36 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I will tell you that from all the research we did, probably 2 years worth before we bought our Tiffin Bus, is that you can't go wrong we either manufacturer. It took us quite a while but we narrowed our choice down to a Newmar Dutch 4369 and a Tiffin Bus 45LP (I'm sure you've read, decide on the floor plan and go from there). We toured both plants, read everything we could read, and scoured Rvtrader.com for a long time. The crazy thing is that once we narrowed it down to the the two manufacturers and the floor plans we wanted, plus the specifics of each floor plan (biggest little item for us was a dinette and not a "boof"), the year range we were willing to buy and then, ultimately our top dollar to spend, we ended up with 7 coaches in North America.

We got blessed by God to end up buying our bus from two incredible people that are now dear friends of ours. They had one of the 7 coaches we considered and met every need, down to the minor details of no "boof". They were extremely open about everything with the coach, didn't hide a thing, had every single service record, and told us about every nuance with the coach.

Regarding the quality of the coach, we have zero complaints. I have been a woodworker for 30 years or more. The craftsmanship of the panels, doors, and cabinets are second to none. On a side note, because I have bought a lot of "timber" in my days, our half bath has highly sought after wood. I believe it to be cherry but darned if it doesn't have tiger stripes in a few of the boards lining the walls and quilted lines in the frame of the door.

In summary, I would not hesitate to get either a Tiffin or Newmar. They are both family run companies that build incredible coaches. Good luck with your search.

Home State is Kentucky
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:43 PM   #3

I too was between the Newmar Dutch Star and a Tiffin Allegro Bus. I liked the floor plan on the Tiffin a little better. Was looking at new and used. Did not even consider a Winnabego. Found a slightly used Itasca Ellipse made by Winnabego (same model as the Tour) that had almost the same floor plan as the Tiffin. Freightliner chassis, Tag Axel, Cummings 450 HP, Allison tranny, Aqua Hot etc. Saved a lot of money.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:05 AM   #4

i've got a small tiffin... love it..

but on the tiffin vs newmar threads in the tiffin forum..
what i've noticed is that 3 tiffins will say "yay, tiffin is a great coach"

and half a dozen newmar folks will come over to the tiffin forum and
sing the newmar praises... lol...
of course,
i can't blame the newmar folks for hanging around!

one question i've had... is this...
tiffin customers have 3 (that i know of) excellent dealers that give awesome discounts and also awesome service and pre delivery inspections and walkthroughs...
that is a huge bennie of buying a new tiffin.

do newmar folks have this kind of discount/service combo available?
if so, who and where?
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
I too was between the Newmar Dutch Star and a Tiffin Allegro Bus. I liked the floor plan on the Tiffin a little better. Was looking at new and used. Did not even consider a Winnabego. Found a slightly used Itasca Ellipse made by Winnabego (same model as the Tour) that had almost the same floor plan as the Tiffin. Freightliner chassis, Tag Axel, Cummings 450 HP, Allison tranny, Aqua Hot etc. Saved a lot of money.

Looking at those too....
Old 01-14-2019, 10:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
i've got a small tiffin... love it..

but on the tiffin vs newmar threads in the tiffin forum..
what i've noticed is that 3 tiffins will say "yay, tiffin is a great coach"

and half a dozen newmar folks will come over to the tiffin forum and
sing the newmar praises... lol...
of course,
i can't blame the newmar folks for hanging around!

one question i've had... is this...
tiffin customers have 3 (that i know of) excellent dealers that give awesome discounts and also awesome service and pre delivery inspections and walkthroughs...
that is a huge bennie of buying a new tiffin.

do newmar folks have this kind of discount/service combo available?
if so, who and where?

What three dealerships are you talking about?
Old 01-14-2019, 11:02 AM   #7

I can only speak to our experience of having a 2018 Tiffin 37BH. We are full timers and use the coach 24/7/365. We have been very pleased with the quality of the coach. Yes, we have had some minor issues, but these were all addressed at Red Bay when we took the coach to have everything fixed before the warranty expired.
I compare buying a new coach to a new house: there’s going to be issues. We had ours, but none of them were critical and none prevented us from using or enjoying this coach. And, the support from Tiffin after the sale is outstanding.
The bottom line: based on the overall quality, experience and support, we would not hesitate to buy another Phaeton.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:14 PM   #8

there are 3 dealers are routinely mentioned when someone inquires about getting a good deal on a tiffin...

in my case, i bought through Sherman near tupelo mississippi.
saleslady carol koon...

i called and stopped by ingram in montgomery al... both times no one was available to give me a price...

davis in memphis...
i didn't contact them... didn't know about them at the time.

i had been getting prices that were in the 15 % off range, and dealers were slow to give that... they wanted to make friends and "get to know the customer" they would say... I think they were trying to figure out how high they could go and make the deal..

if you are shopping and don't mind traveling to one of these three areas.
i would give at least one of them a call... have a list of options in hand. and know which ones you want. this will speed up the quote process.

i was floored with the courtesy, forthrightness and immediate response to my question of "how much for a tiffin with this list of options? carol gave me that information on my first call! and she gave me a short detail of the process... awesome.... we jumped in the car the next day... drove to red bay did the tour.... which helped me confirm that we wanted to buy from that company....
then headed out to sherman that afternoon. admittedly i expected them to
give me a different price when we showed up... nope.
exactly to the dollar that carol quoted over the phone... no doc. fees. no
admin. fees... no made up options (one of biggest dealers in the nation did that) no freight fees... we signed that afternoon... it was such a pleasant
ordering/buying process...

then we had a great delivery process... they had checked our unit very thoroughly before we picked it up... increasing my satisfaction level to A+

enjoy the process.

oh yeah, i've seen a few other dealers mentioned occasionally, but these are the 3 that are consistently mentioned as giving a great discount.
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:04 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I too, narrowed my Class A search to Tiffin and Newmar. Did tons of research and read seems like every post on here and other sites. Both had pros and cons, but it basically came down to a couple of things that swayed me;
1. The alleyway of a Dutchstar when slides are closed was too narrow for my liking.(DS 4018)
2. Only 2 A/C's on the DS.. My DW likes to have it cold enough to hang meat.

We decided on the AB 37AP.

Now for the fun part, finding the Best Bus at the best cost.

After umpteen searches, a few calls to dealers, and reading about the big 3 discount dealers. I started focusing on their websites daily. Alas, with the patience of Job, a Bus popped up on a Saturday morning, with the year, mileage range, color, options, etc that I wanted at Davis Motorhome Mart. We immediately put down a deposit sight unseen.

My experience with Davis Motorhome Mart was great and I will buy my next one there as well. Janet was my salesperson and part time driving instructor. (I upgraded from a class C). The fact that they have been in business for so long really put my mind at ease.
KeimnDez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:06 AM   #10

So, with these discount dealers and their posted MSRP prices - can I expect 30% off of those prices?
Old 01-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
So, with these discount dealers and their posted MSRP prices - can I expect 30% off of those prices?

Call them up and ask for prices. That's what they are there for.

My admonition is that a lowest price does not necessarily represent the best *value* to you as the purchaser.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:47 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I’m fairly new to this site, and to all the acronyms some contributors use. Can anyone tell me who the “3 big discount dealers” are? Thanks!
gregbecky80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:36 PM   #13

We’ve had two Newmars and travel a lot with a family member with a Tiffin. Overall they are equals IMO, it’s entirely a matter of personal preference on decor, floor plan or whatever particular features trip your trigger.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbecky80 View Post
I’m fairly new to this site, and to all the acronyms some contributors use. Can anyone tell me who the “3 big discount dealers” are? Thanks!
They are referring to Davis Motorhomes in Memphis, Sherman RV in Sherman Ms., and Ingram in Montgomery.

I got quotes from all three and Sherman came in the lowest. We are going to take Tiffin factory tour at end of September, go to Sherman and sign our order sheet and put down money, scheduled for a January pick up of an Allegro Red 37BA.

Tags
newmar, tiffin