Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2018, 10:28 AM   #57

First time motorcoach driver....

It's very simple...WHEN IN DOUBT GET OUT....this means do not count on anyone to guide you.. rely on your instincts and your seeing , and knowing what is around your coach...a co-pilot is great but I listen to mine. Then I make the decision myself.also read all the books and know your coach and what you can expect of it . . Easy peasy and happy motoring....
Kbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2018, 12:00 PM   #58

I have found the RvGeeks videos very helpful. All of them are full of good information that I hope will be useful to me in a year or so. Their video about "How to drive an Rv" is excellent. I have been practicing with our wheat truck so that I am used to driving a larger vehicle. They (RV Geeks) would probably get a kick out of that. Good luck, you are where I hope to be in a year's time.
Linda Bohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:47 PM   #59

Got our MH from Lazydays in Tampa, they have a driving class for new owners that is amazing...
Billbetwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:07 PM   #60

I grew-up on a farm.

Granpa Jack raised and trained mules, so the first point I learned about getting someplace with a mule:
Look at the goal.
Watch the destination as you send that visual image to the mule.
A rider with a clear destination works wonders in getting a mule to see it your way.

On the opposite end of the scale, a weak rider with weak goals inevitably ruins an afternoon trying real hard to accomplish the task... and all the while, the mule is scratching her head to get some idea of how to please this darned rider.

I can see this background relating to your endeavour.

Start with a goal.
Avoid focusing on problems.
Hire a co-pilot, treat her / him well, tip heavily.

This next part is the most important part of the whole shooting match. You may want to take notes here, so I can wait while you get ready. That's OK, take your time, take as much time as you need, I'm known for my patience. Ready?

No yelling! Repeat after me... NO! YELLING!

PS:
Commercial trucks often have a decal on the mirrors:
G.O.A.L.
This acronym stands for:
Get Out And Look
Always good advice; walking around the rig gives an opportunity for a different view.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:18 PM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
I decided to be a school bus driver. I did all the training offered by the school bus company and took and passed all the state of Michigan written and road tests. It prepared me well but I had the time, as I am retired. I believe one can get online the text books for becoming a school bus driver.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:42 PM   #62

Location: Dan & Pam Nachel RVM #175 & 175a, three Doberman traveling companions
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMarge View Post
I grew-up on a farm.

Granpa Jack raised and trained mules, so the first point I learned about getting someplace with a mule:
Look at the goal.
Watch the destination as you send that visual image to the mule.
A rider with a clear destination works wonders in getting a mule to see it your way.

On the opposite end of the scale, a weak rider with weak goals inevitably ruins an afternoon trying real hard to accomplish the task... and all the while, the mule is scratching her head to get some idea of how to please this darned rider.

I can see this background relating to your endeavour.

Start with a goal.
Avoid focusing on problems.
Hire a co-pilot, treat her / him well, tip heavily.

This next part is the most important part of the whole shooting match. You may want to take notes here, so I can wait while you get ready. That's OK, take your time, take as much time as you need, I'm known for my patience. Ready?

No yelling! Repeat after me... NO! YELLING!

PS:
Commercial trucks often have a decal on the mirrors:
G.O.A.L.
This acronym stands for:
Get Out And Look
Always good advice; walking around the rig gives an opportunity for a different view.

The decal on the mirror should say G O A L S. You have to..... Get Out And Look, Stupid.... to keep from having to.... Get Out, and Look Stupid
DobeBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:49 PM   #63

We bought our 34’ class A in Springfield, MO, and drove it home to Kissimmee, FL. We went from a 41’ fiver and dually, so we found that it is MUCH easier to maneuver.

We planned our route with interstates and four-lane highways the whole way. Hubby drove the first day. I took over for day two. I will admit to being intimidated at first. (Even though I drove the dually and fiver a lot.) That huge windshield makes it feel so big! I just kept telling myself, “It’s no wider than the Big Sky.” By the end of the day, I was fine. I drove it thru Atlanta that night with complete confidence.
vmyoung61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:35 PM   #64

Alpine Owners Club
First Time RV Driver

Above suggestions all good! AND...For folks our age, AARP has an excellent general Driver Safety Program that covers the changes we all experience as we get older: Can you run as fast as you did when you were 25? Well you can't move your foot from gas to brake, or the steering wheel to avoid a deer, or etc. The class will help you know ways to use your experience to compensate. You can find a class near you on the AARP website or simply take the class online.
Relax & Have Fun!
George Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:42 PM   #65

I’m looking for some training for the wife and me to help decide whether to go the Class C or Class A route.

A Class A DP in the 40’ or less range is what I’m interested in but she is leaning more towards a Class C given its familiarity.

Art at Lazydays mentioned their driving courses but they are located in Tampa and I’m in CO. Keith at NIRVC in Dallas made the offer to let us drive as many as we would like and openly discuss the pros and cons of each.

Both are appreciated but prefer something more on neutral ground.

RV Masters seems to have a pretty comprehensive video series for sale that might be an option, but really would like some stick time to go with it.

Rentals are an option but having the training under our belt would be nice before we take the first rental out.

Maybe a combination of the videos, test drives at dealers and finally rentals is the best option to help us decide on which motorhome.
woodwardmpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:36 AM   #66

Ford Super Duty Owner
There is some good advice here. I do disagree with one thing. "If a line of cars get behind you, so be it." When I bought my first motorhome in 1974, the advice was to look in the mirror and if there was a line of cars behind you, Pull off and let them pass. I still believe that is the better advice. Plus it keeps car drivers from "disliking" motorhome drivers.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:32 AM   #67

First timwrs

Measure your height that is a Very Good Idea and if your coach has air bags, measure the height at Drive Height it’s about 6 inches taller than Parked Height.

“Allstays camp & RV” app has the bridge height on its map function,
Google will run you under a Low Bridge!
pobstlmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:20 PM   #68

Jayco Owners Club
With the investment that you are making, I would STRONGLY suggest going to an RV Driving School. If you Google it, you will find that there are several different options. Lazydays RV has a school each week - free if you are buying the RV from them, otherwise a small charge. This is a very small incremental cost - and undoubtedly LESS than what it will cost if you have an accident with a new motorhome.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:26 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluza2786 View Post
With the investment that you are making, I would STRONGLY suggest going to an RV Driving School. If you Google it, you will find that there are several different options. Lazydays RV has a school each week - free if you are buying the RV from them, otherwise a small charge. This is a very small incremental cost - and undoubtedly LESS than what it will cost if you have an accident with a new motorhome.
Although I would agree, the classes require us to have our own motorhome and logistics require us to drive it back to Texas before we could start. We have driven a truck pulling a travel trailer so we aren't totally inexperienced.
whciv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:55 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwardmpd View Post
I’m looking for some training for the wife and me to help decide whether to go the Class C or Class A route.

A Class A DP in the 40’ or less range is what I’m interested in but she is leaning more towards a Class C given its familiarity.

Art at Lazydays mentioned their driving courses but they are located in Tampa and I’m in CO. Keith at NIRVC in Dallas made the offer to let us drive as many as we would like and openly discuss the pros and cons of each.

Both are appreciated but prefer something more on neutral ground.

RV Masters seems to have a pretty comprehensive video series for sale that might be an option, but really would like some stick time to go with it.

Rentals are an option but having the training under our belt would be nice before we take the first rental out.

Maybe a combination of the videos, test drives at dealers and finally rentals is the best option to help us decide on which motorhome.
I have a fairly short (25ft, nose to roof ladder) Class C and it's much like a 16-18' U-Haul or similar light/medium duty truck in terms of steering & backing; load up the U-Haul and it's like my RV in terms of braking, acceleration, wind profile, etc. The advice up-thread about renting a truck isn't bad advice and you can find a truck rental almost anywhere.

Open road driving isn't rocket surgery if you follow the rules of the road; where it gets interesting is merging, exiting, and getting around in town after your GPS gave you a bogus route. You have to remember just how tall & wide your coach is and what the turn radius/swing out distances are. From what I've read here at IRV2 the swing out is probably the most common "oopsy" cause. Probably the best description is "situational awareness." What is different about the vehicle and what things are now important, that were mostly irrelevant in a passenger car? My "experienced answer" is tree limbs. BT,DT,GTS.

Backing into a space in a campground or park is next and all of the above are issues, too. Having a companion be a "spotter" for the driver is a tremendous help. I'm a solo traveler most of the time and my shorter wheel base and limited swing out helps me a lot. With a longer C or A I'd probably want cameras to confirm what I *think* is out there.

Driving well is about practice. If you rent a truck or RV, find a nearby parking lot (old shopping mall?) where you can get a feel for how it drives, practice backing up and turning, etc. until you're ready to do more real-world driving. The way you'll learn best is to get out there and do it.

Good luck and safe travels.

-Solo

Tags
driver