Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2017, 09:00 PM   #1

To check into Red Bay, you need to step on a scale first.

It would give the owner/buyer all the spec of what the coach can do safely. I do believe every check in to Red Bay should be scaled and recorded into coach history.

I say this as a 2004 Tioga door taged at 14,040, but scaling in at 15,900. Resprung the Tioga to a E550.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2017, 02:12 AM   #2

Actually, what would be much better if all manufacturers and dealers fitting aftermarket gear at new were legally obliged to weigh the rig out of the factory or workshop gate - all four corners separately - and make that weight part of the sales contract together with whatever running gear component or specification was the limiting factor for carrying normal owner added loads.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:40 AM   #3

Or maybe we could stop putting the onus on the manufacturer or dealer and put it where it belongs.

With the owner.

Weighing before service? Not Tiffin’s responsibility or concern. Same with aftermarket gear. You’re the owner. Be responsible.

Sheesh . . .
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:30 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
It would be nice if there was a scale available somewhere in Red Bay. Thread does make me wonder if Tiffin weighs each new design and if so where do they do it? Took the Tiffin plant tour and weighing a coach was never mentioned. Are new coaches an even weight side to side, front to back, and on each corner?
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:44 AM   #5

Tiffin has a set of scales. Used when coach is getting it’s final alignment.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:44 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
To check into Red Bay, you need to step on a scale first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithcoop View Post
It would be nice if there was a scale available somewhere in Red Bay. Thread does make me wonder if Tiffin weighs each new design and if so where do they do it? Took the Tiffin plant tour and weighing a coach was never mentioned. Are new coaches an even weight side to side, front to back, and on each corner?

Seriously doubt it. On our 2017 Phaeton, DS has the big slide, residential fridge, King bed, washer/dryer, and Master sink. PS has smaller slide, couch, kitchen sink/counter, small bathroom, shower. Engine and genny is in the middle. Probably guess which side I think was heavier on its birthday.
EDIT: I forgot the DS 6 house batteries, offset with 2 PS engine batteries.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:54 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
Seriously doubt it. On our 2017 Phaeton, DS has the big slide, residential fridge, King bed, washer/dryer, and Master sink. PS has smaller slide, couch, kitchen sink/counter, small bathroom, shower. Engine and genny is in the middle. Probably guess which side I think was heavier on its birthday.
Pretty sure they are weighed at Belmont, the painting plant.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:13 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRichard View Post
Tiffin has a set of scales. Used when coach is getting it’s final alignment.
Where are they and are they available to customers? Customers would definitely benefit if they were available.

Previous post popped up just as I was submitting my comment. Thanks nctox for the info.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:38 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Trx,

For a non-Tiffin owner and a person who has never visited Red Bay, you sure have a lot of opinions about Tiffin and what their coaches should be. I suggest you refrain from comments like this past one until you actually own and use a Tiffin coach. It's also much harder to overload a class A than a class C so an overwhelming number of coaches that come into Red Bay are within weight specs.

BTW, you haven't changed your Tioga's weight capacity by adding spring packs. GVW ratings also include engine, transmission, cooling system, differential, shocks, etc. If you were to get in an accident and someone discovers you have altered the vehicle mechanically, you are open for a very large lawsuit. Good Luck with that.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:20 AM   #10

Tiffin weighs every coach, individual corners, in final alignment before it leaves the plant. I required a factory weigh sheet copy in my sales contract and I got one. Be a bit pro-active and you should be able to get a copy. I told my dealer it was a deal buster and there was no issue at all.

While at Red Bay you can go to the dog food factory, across from the food store, after hours and on weekends and get as many free weights as you want. With careful positioning you can get individual axle weights and even individual wheel weights. They leave their scale on 24/7. Just don't be an Ugly RV'er. It's their business and they are letting us use it as a HUGH favor.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:25 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I was at RedBay watching my bus get built and noticed that the coaches are weighted before leaving
smd1x1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:26 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I asked if I could way my current RV and the scale attendant said yes but I could. It get a print out but she would give me the weights I never got a chance to weigh it
Old 12-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
While at Red Bay you can go to the dog food factory, across from the food store, after hours and on weekends and get as many free weights as you want. With careful positioning you can get individual axle weights and even individual wheel weights. They leave their scale on 24/7. Just don't be an Ugly RV'er. It's their business and they are letting us use it as a HUGH favor.
Darn, I just left there 7 weeks ago today.. Sure wish I had known about that scale. Must have drove past that factory a dozen times in the car, and twice during the weekends with the coach.

I only have CAT scale axle weights from a scale in Yuma.

-Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillSD View Post
Darn, I just left there 7 weeks ago today.. Sure wish I had known about that scale. Must have drove past that factory a dozen times in the car, and twice during the weekends with the coach.

I only have CAT scale axle weights from a scale in Yuma.

-Bill
I know how you feel. It took me 3-4 trips to Red Bay before I found out about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dog Food Factory Scale.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	396.8 KB
ID:	185275  
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote