RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2016, 07:16 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
To Shovel Or Not To Shovel?

To Shovel Or Not To Shovel, that is the question. I know I need to keep my slide toppers clear of snow, but is it necessary to clear the rest of the roof? I cleared my roof today of all snow and then I looked around seeing I was the only one that cleared my roof. Am I missing something?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2016, 07:20 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
I guess it could be insulation for them but I would guess you were the only intelligent one to care! I would not like the constant water on my roof or the heat lost due to heating the ice cube.

markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:12 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmiiler View Post
I guess it could be insulation for them but I would guess you were the only intelligent one to care! I would not like the constant water on my roof or the heat lost due to heating the ice cube.
I am sure most people care but many are physically unable to get on the roof. It is also not the safest thing to do. You can also damage the roof if you are not careful. I certainly would not use any kind of shovel as the thread title indicated. That being said I have a friend that stores his motor home in and outside lot a few miles from his house and never checked on it and snow laid on it and melted so the snow held the water on the roof like a sponge and the water eventually leached the the fiberglass because the gel coat was thin it ruined his ceiling and Forest River would not own up to it.

I would clean mine because I am physically able to do it but it would be with a broom. I would also have the slides in during the snow storm. Since we are home and I keep my in garage it is not an issue.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:26 PM   #4

I have seen RVs with 4 inches of snow on the roof and toppers. The toppers had no problem rolling off all the snow. On another occasion one of my toppers rolled off a half inch solid sheet of ice with no problem. I have seen people on top of their RVs sweeping off snow hoping they did not slip off. There should be no more reason to shovel snow than a heavy rain.

However, some states have laws that make a vehicle liable for any thing coming off the top and damaging another vehicle following behind. For that reason you may need to check the snow load on top.