RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2008, 04:40 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
I supposedly have a toad charge system installed when my tow bar and braking system was installed, I was under the coach today and found the wire that is supposed to go to the trailer connector was cut, when I reconnect the ends of the wire with the toad attached I hear a relay activating in the coach. I opend the access to the relay panel and found the the large relay that all the battery wires go to activates when I connect the trailer charge wire. Is this normal? and what is this relay for? it isn't labeled. I do not get power on the wire that is supposed to go the the trailer connector until I turn the coach key. Or do I need to install a different toad charge system with a diode?
Does any body have a picture and a listing of what all the relays/solenoids are?

Keith & Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2008, 04:40 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I supposedly have a toad charge system installed when my tow bar and braking system was installed, I was under the coach today and found the wire that is supposed to go to the trailer connector was cut, when I reconnect the ends of the wire with the toad attached I hear a relay activating in the coach. I opend the access to the relay panel and found the the large relay that all the battery wires go to activates when I connect the trailer charge wire. Is this normal? and what is this relay for? it isn't labeled. I do not get power on the wire that is supposed to go the the trailer connector until I turn the coach key. Or do I need to install a different toad charge system with a diode?
Does any body have a picture and a listing of what all the relays/solenoids are?

Old 11-25-2008, 06:27 AM   #3

Your system is operating normally. The relay is connected in the system to prevent you from draining the coach battery when you stop for a night or more but leave the toad hooked up. Key off, no power going back to drain the coach. The exact purpose of all the relays and solenoids depends on who your chassis manufacturer is and what they put in. Even though Tiffin wrote the specs, your chassis maker actually did that part of the wiring, and he was the one who chose the parts.

John
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:54 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
It's a relay on the coach (house) front relay panel not the chassis relay panel.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:58 AM   #5

If you think it was coach installed, a call to Tiffin would probably be in order to find out more info about it.

To check if my charging setup is working here's what I do. Hook up all systems and plugs just as you would when getting ready for a day's driving. With all keys and switches OFF, use a good voltmeter and check the level at the toad battery. It should be at 12.6-12.9V. Lower, down to 12.0 is OK. Then start up the rig and let it get to high idle RPM. (1000-1200 rpm) Recheck your toad battery voltage at the toad battery again. Now it should be 13.3-13.6. If it's higher, no problem, the toad or rig battery has put your inverter/charger in a higher charge state. If you are still at the original level you found when you checked power off, the system is not charging.

If you want to keep checking, you can buy a 12V meter that plugs into the cigarette lighter port on the toad. I got one at Wal Mart, but found it did draw a bit of power all the time.

John
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:24 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Up date: traced out the wire and found that it goes to a 30 circuit breaker on the forward power panel, then goes to the lower charges battery boost solenoid, when the toad is pluged in, it energizes the charge solenoid I guess this is normal so that the toad will get charged from the coach batteries. I am still thinkig of installing the toad charge to prevent the back powering of this solenoid when the coach is turned off.