RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Toad vehicle tires wearing uneven

We flat tow a 2013 Ford Edge behind our Allegro Bus. Our new car now sounds like it has flat spots. A very noisey ride. When it came time to rotate our car tires they said it was wearing uneven because it is towed behind a bus. .....Can anyone shed some light on this.

parrett1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Make sure that the tow bar arms extend and lock equal length. If the alignment and toe-in is correct on the car, and the steering wheel is unlocked so the front wheels are free to track, I don't know why your tires would be wearing excessively.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see two possible issues.

One.. The tow bar baseplate may have been improperly installed.. For example 2 inches to one side.

Second, alignment, it may need nothing more than re-alignment, and make sure the alignment tech knows you tow it.

Finally.. Tow bar height may be an issue. If I towed that car with most tow bars, and did not use a "Drop hitch" adapter.. Very strange things could be expected due to the difference in the height of the motor home and car ends of the bar (+/- 3" is acceptable per my manual).
Old 06-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I see two possible issues.

One.. The tow bar baseplate may have been improperly installed.. For example 2 inches to one side.

Second, alignment, it may need nothing more than re-alignment, and make sure the alignment tech knows you tow it.

Finally.. Tow bar height may be an issue. If I towed that car with most tow bars, and did not use a "Drop hitch" adapter.. Very strange things could be expected due to the difference in the height of the motor home and car ends of the bar (+/- 3" is acceptable per my manual).
I agree with this. You will probably find the problem is in the baseplate.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
What an unexpected nightmare. Is the only solution to our flat spots to buy brand new tires? I relied wholly on the Ford mechanic to install my Roadmaster Hitch properly on my new Ford, never thought to check his work when complete. LESSON LEARNED.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrett1012 View Post
We flat tow a 2013 Ford Edge behind our Allegro Bus. Our new car now sounds like it has flat spots. A very noisey ride. When it came time to rotate our car tires they said it was wearing uneven because it is towed behind a bus. .....Can anyone shed some light on this.
Are you unlocking the steering wheel?
Old 06-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrett1012 View Post
What an unexpected nightmare. Is the only solution to our flat spots to buy brand new tires?
FWIW, Our toad will wear the front tires unevenly and they do get noisy after a few thousand miles of towing. DON'T make the mistake of rotating your fronts to the back thinking that will allow them to wear smooth again. In my case all I got for doing that was 4 noisy tires! I've decided to just replace only the fronts more frequently when they get worn badly enough.

I believe some cars are more susceptible to tire wear than others. Several friends tow CRVs and theirs wear unevenly too. I hope you can find an "adjustment" can be made to fix yours. Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
FWIW, Our toad will wear the front tires unevenly and they do get noisy after a few thousand miles of towing. DON'T make the mistake of rotating your fronts to the back thinking that will allow them to wear smooth again. In my case all I got for doing that was 4 noisy tires! I've decided to just replace only the fronts more frequently when they get worn badly enough.

I believe some cars are more susceptible to tire wear than others. Several friends tow CRVs and theirs wear unevenly too. I hope you can find an "adjustment" can be made to fix yours. Ed
I'm thinking that different brands and tread patterns of tires may be more susceptible too. An aggressive All Season tread would have the tendency to wear faster in the tow situation than a summer tread with a more solid outer edge.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
When I said alignment, I meant to add caster angle. Caster is what allows the wheels be self centered following the track of the RV. It also aids in handling of the car. Bad caster angle is what causes shopping cart wheels to wobble.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Sure wish I had known about tire wear on a car that is towed behind a bus. Should have checked the RV forum for more advice before purchasing a new vehicle. I would have kept my older vehicle had I known. Thanks folks for your opinions.

Tags
tires, toad