RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2017, 09:34 PM   #1

Tow Bar vs Hitch Weight

Can anybody help me understand how a tow bar(Roadmaster Falcon) hitch weight compare to a regular ball hitch in calculating hitch weight? I'm trying to calculate the actual GCVW with a vehicle attached to the RV,
Thanks for the help.
Safe travels.

Dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2017, 11:53 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The hitch weight is the weight exerted on the receiver. The weight of the vehicle being towed has nothing to do with it. The weight of the towed vehicle
Cannot exceed the rated limit for the hitch/towing vehicle. Most are 5000 lb but the larger rigs can tow 10,000 lbs.

Steve

2016 Tiffin Red 37 PA
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Sjg1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:27 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hitch weight with a tow bar on it is only a few to several pounds. Not enough to matter.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:22 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Dugan-

As Vince said, the towbar doesn't amount to much. Amazon lists its weight as 50 pounds.

Most people don't know their loaded coach and toad weights, especially to within plus or minus 50 pounds.

I see by the Tifiin brochure your coach has a GWVR of 22.000 pounds and a GCWR of 26,000 pounds. If the coach is loaded to the GVWR (i.e., GVW = GVWR), you can only tow 4,000 pounds. That sets the maximum toad weight at 3,950 pounds.

According to the brochure, the hitch is rated for 5,000 pounds. In theory, you can "under-load" the coach by 1,000 pounds and tow a 4,950 pound toad. I say "in theory" because it'd be up to you to keep the coach weight under 21,000 pounds and toad weight under 4,950 pounds.

Note: Vehicles are often heavier than their published curb weights.

This all assumes four-down towing of a toad. Other factors come into play when towing a trailer.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:46 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the Falcon II and it adds very little weight, maybe 25# or so. If it is level then half the weight of the arms and the weight of the part that connects to the receiver.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Note: Vehicles are often heavier than their published curb weights
That statement could not be more true in the USA, don't trust stickers. Load up your coach, and then go weigh it. Get the real numbers and adjust accordingly.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Dugan-

As Vince said, the towbar doesn't amount to much. Amazon lists its weight as 50 pounds.

Most people don't know their loaded coach and toad weights, especially to within plus or minus 50 pounds.

I see by the Tifiin brochure your coach has a GWVR of 22.000 pounds and a GCWR of 26,000 pounds. If the coach is loaded to the GVWR (i.e., GVW = GVWR), you can only tow 4,000 pounds. That sets the maximum toad weight at 3,950 pounds.

According to the brochure, the hitch is rated for 5,000 pounds. In theory, you can "under-load" the coach by 1,000 pounds and tow a 4,950 pound toad. I say "in theory" because it'd be up to you to keep the coach weight under 21,000 pounds and toad weight under 4,950 pounds.

Note: Vehicles are often heavier than their published curb weights.

This all assumes four-down towing of a toad. Other factors come into play when towing a trailer.
Thanks for the information. You answer was what I was looking for. My question was confusing on what I was after. Basically I wanted to know if you added the weight on the hitch or the weight of the towed vehicle. Your answer gave me the info I needed. Everybody's help was appreciated.

Dugan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, weight