RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2014, 04:48 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Towing an Allegro Bus

I was just reading a freightliner RV manual. It mentioned problems with towing an IFS susupension. I needed to have my bus towed one time and the tow truck that the road side service was going to send mentioned how hard it was to tow class A motorhomes with the generator in the front( they sent a roadside mechanic to get us going enough to get to the shop) How do they tow an Allegro Bus and other IFS suspension class A motor homes.

gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2014, 04:57 PM   #2

The tow truck needs to be able to lift the front of the unit by a hydraulic lift that picks up the front tires in cradles. This requires a very big unit, but once they get you on the lift it works just fine.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:17 PM   #3

or a flatbed tow truck.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Just have to get the right wrecker....

This is what it takes to do the job, the wrecker attachment for this job is called a "stinger" attachment. My Spartan Chassis w/IFS can be jack/lifted at specified points on the front end. They also have the models that go under your front tires like mentioned above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV  Being towed.jpg
Views:	977
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	57030  
Old 02-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If you are presented with the need for a tow, ALWAYS state to your Emergency Roadside Service company that you need a Class 8 tow for your coach.

They will come equipped with the proper stuff to tow you safely.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:31 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
And they will need to remove your drive shaft, marking it for properly orientation beforehand, and hook up an air hose to the port of your motorhome. Been there, done that.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:15 PM   #7

When my coach needed to be towed the wrecker driver used a stinger, raised the coach a few inches, blocked it, repositioned the stinger, blocked, lowered a total of 5 times before he was happy with the lift. He did a great job and very professional, his lift equipment came very close to the bottom of the front cap but never touched.

Told me later that an inch here or there can make a big difference in how well he can tow. Good to see a pro at work.

Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:12 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
The tow truck needs to be able to lift the front of the unit by a hydraulic lift that picks up the front tires in cradles. This requires a very big unit, but once they get you on the lift it works just fine.
PIgman this is the heart of my question. IF I understood the rv manual that I read picking up by the tires would be utilizing the suspension and once again if I understood correctly they are very specific that you will damage the suspension on an IFS unit doing that. This is why I am confused about how you would do it.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:25 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
PIgman this is the heart of my question. IF I understood the rv manual that I read picking up by the tires would be utilizing the suspension and once again if I understood correctly they are very specific that you will damage the suspension on an IFS unit doing that. This is why I am confused about how you would do it.
Just the opposite. The stinger(sometimes called a bus lift) lifts and supports the front of the coach by the front tires, just the same as if you were driving down the road under your own power. The IFS is still 'loaded' with the same weight just as if you were still driving it.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:25 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macantic View Post
or a flatbed tow truck.
I am wondering if this is the only way that they can be towed. I imagine the stinger that was talked about would work if it was lifting on the frame but to me the flatbed tow truck would be the only realistic way to do it. I would imagine the flatbed truck would be an interesting fit going under bridges or overpasses.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:28 AM   #11

TurtleKent has it right. With the right equipment it'd just like driving down the road. When they use a flatbed they need to be very very careful about overpasses, wires and trees. A flatbed with a 13' bus on it is too high for a number of Interstate bridges in West Texas. I speak from personal experience. We once had a tow from Pecos to Midland/Odessa.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:51 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
If the coach has to be put onto a truck and not towed they will usually use a Low-Boy Truck which reduces the overall height.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pereza.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	57064  
Old 02-27-2014, 09:05 AM   #13

Towing last year

We broke down outside of Myrtle Beach last year and needed to be towed to a Cummins dealer. They sent out a lowboy trailer and pulled it up on to the trailer. Mind you now our Tiffin is 13 foot 4 inches tall on to a 4 foot high trailer. Prayed for no low limbs and or bridges. We had Good Sam towing but you have to watch what service you have. They towed camper and would have towed motorcycle in trailer but not the trailer. The trailer tow was $330.00 out of pocket. We will be upgrading our tow package before I leave for Daytona next week.
grizz427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Coach-Net would have towed everything no questions asked.

I have never signed up on anything that Camping World is associated with.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Tags
towing