Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Trading 06 Phaeton w/07 Bus

I am contemplating trading my 06 40QSH Phaeton with 07 Allegro Bus 40QSP. They both have about the same miles (~30K mi). My Phaeton has a 350hp Cat and the Bus has 400hp Cummins. The dealer wants between 45,000 to 50,000 for the trade. Using NAD the list price for the Phaeton is 208K and that of the Bus is 272K. I would appreciate any thoughts that anyone would have.
srh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Up to you, is the $$ diffierance worth it to you? $45-$50K will buy a lot of diesel even at todays prices. They are both nice coaches and will take you to the same places. You know what you have now, but not what you would be getting!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #3

I just sold a 08 Phaeton QTH with 32,000 miles. Dealers wanted to come get it for 115-125k but I held out for a private sale n got 150k.
Be careful not to pay too much. It is a buyers market especially with the promise of higher gas prices this summer.
If you are the first owner of yours, and you know it's history... How much is it worth to trade up for a little nicer, but no history?? Will you be buying someone else's problem? All has to be considered.
Just my 2 cents...
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for both of your thoughts. Norm, you bring up a good point - $45K does buy a lot of diesel!
No, I'm not the original owner. I bought it from the original owner, though. You are right in that I have to watch out so I do not get someone else's problems. The person who has the Bus is not a big dealer, so he says any way, but he does tell me that he bought it from the original owner and he is asking $149.9K. It has about $10K options which include hydronic heat system. If he could supply me the name of the owner and the carfax report I might be interested.
By the way, any of you familiar with the hydronic heat system?
Thank you so much!!
SRH
Old 02-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Thanks for both of your thoughts. Norm, you bring up a good point - $45K does buy a lot of diesel!
No, I'm not the original owner. I bought it from the original owner, though. You are right in that I have to watch out so I do not get someone else's problems. The person who has the Bus is not a big dealer, so he says any way, but he does tell me that he bought it from the original owner and he is asking $149.9K. It has about $10K options which include hydronic heat system. If he could supply me the name of the owner and the carfax report I might be interested.
By the way, any of you familiar with the hydronic heat system?
Thank you so much!!
SRH
I don't have it, but wish I did. It provides the heat for the coach plus endless hot water.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #6

My "new to me" coach has the Hydro Hot system and I love it! (The Phaeton had a propane furnace that we used when outside temps were below 45 degrees)
This new system is pretty neat. Burner gets its fuel from the diesel tank and heats a glycol/water mixture to act as a heat exchanger for the hot water, the furnace and even the heated granite floors (also nice on cold mornings). Overall pretty maintenance free as long as the fluids are up and there is fuel in the coach. By the way the burner is virtually smoke n soot free as well.
Hope it helps, I'm sure there is a more technical explanation for you, but that's how I understand it.
Jeff
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks, Jim and Jeff for your thoughts. That is very helpful!
Regards,

Sayed