Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2019, 10:01 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Trailer Light Connector - Totally Dead

We have a Tiffin 2011 28br
Just went to connect our toad and the trailer connector is dead on all pins
Used a multi meter and checked to ground. Found NO power on any of the pins
Checked the ground and it is good. Must be fused so checked all fuses in the passenger rear compartment ALL good checked all fuses in the front compartment drivers side all good. Totally stumped as to where the issue is. Any help would be appreciated.
Thx
BootScootin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are sure you checked all possible boxes for fuses in the PS rear compartment. Also check for inline fuses in the engine area near the tailights.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:11 AM   #3

Do the tail lights, brake lights, and turn lights work on your coach?

I assume you have the typical 4 circuits to the connector--tail lights/brake lights, turn lights, ground, and, possibly, 12v+ for a fifth circuit. I cannot see the problem being a fuse, or fuses, if all pins are dead. It's possible, but then your tail lights and brake lights on the coach would be out as well as I'm not aware of fuses being installed in all the circuits to the plug pigtail.

My suspicion is the adapter that changes the wire loom from the coach to a 4-wire plug may be the issue. If you can track down where that adapter is located, which should be close to the plug, you may be able to test there.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:47 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
All the coach lights work perfectly . What I did was pin out the wiring to the working coach lights. Ignoring the Not working wiring originally connected to the seven pin connector. All worked BUT the coach running and brake lights are separate lights so only the turn signals work as I have it currently wired. Thus the reason to get the original circuits working which I understand incorporates a diode pack which connects the turning and brake light together. So that we will have brakes lights as well. May be faced with purchasing the diode packs and wiring them in. Just was hoping to use the existing circuitry. I'm working on the wiring before the connector just to be clear.
I appreciate the responses to our little problem.
BootScootin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:59 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Check to see if you have a "converter module" wired in line.
This is an aftermarket device that incorporates separate coach turn signals and brake lights together for trailer lighting. These are prone to failure from my experience anyways. Usually located somewhere upstream from your trailer connector will be a small black box inline near the right or left coach tail light. Or another possibility is someone tapped into your coach wiring with "scotch locks". Another common failure point.
Good luck.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:12 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootScootin View Post
All the coach lights work perfectly . What I did was pin out the wiring to the working coach lights. Ignoring the Not working wiring originally connected to the seven pin connector. All worked BUT the coach running and brake lights are separate lights so only the turn signals work as I have it currently wired. Thus the reason to get the original circuits working which I understand incorporates a diode pack which connects the turning and brake light together. So that we will have brakes lights as well. May be faced with purchasing the diode packs and wiring them in. Just was hoping to use the existing circuitry. I'm working on the wiring before the connector just to be clear.
I appreciate the responses to our little problem.
You don't have to buy diodes. All you need is a trailer converter like below that is available at just about any auto supply. It takes the four wire plus ground and converts it to three wire plus ground. Also, there are separate fuses for the trailer connections in the passenger side rear compartments. They are totally separate from the coaches turn signal fuses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TrailerLightConverter.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	269545  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:05 PM   #7

BootScootin-

I recommend calling Tiffin. Your coach is new enough that the trailer connector should have been completely and correctly wired at the factory, without using any converters. If so, modifying the coach wiring to make the trailer connector work will probably cause more headaches down the line.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, trailer